• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ask LEO a question

LEO 229

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
One question for leo229, is it required to provide SSN to gun dealer when buying a gun from out of state when u fill out the information on forms that they give you. They said its easier to process? little help please.
Not really my area of expertise....

But as I recall.. the SSN was optional. As posted above.... it just helps identify you out of all the other John Does in the system. Hate to get denied because someone else with the same name and DOB has a record.

If you buy a gun... can I run the SN? I like doing that kind of thing... :lol:

marine dad

imported post

leo229,

i have usually agreed with your posts in the past, but this time you are entirely f.o.s. you , as a typical leo, automatically accepted that the "poor, unfortunate officer in missouri" was being "baited" by the young man. i have watched this video several times now, could you point out the "baiting tactics? how about the erratic driving this young man supposedly did? it appears from his video that he was driving straight and gave a legal turn signal. as i said on the original thread this was posted on, i hope with all my heart somebody catches this nice missouri "officer" out and beats the everloving shit out of him.

automan

imported post

After reading the posts and watching the video, I'm simply amazed that a felon is employed as a cop. Yeah, his record was exponged, but what judge would allow a guy convicted of a felony (ies)to become a cop or continue to be a cop? I thought cops had a higher standard to live up to both on the job and off than us mortals? Man, when I was a kidI lived in a neighborhood full of cops. They were respected because of who they are and what they did. Seems like there is a whole nest ofquestionable people running around in Missouri with police powers. The mayor and alderman only seem to care about the revenue the cops generate from the traffic stops. Maybe Missouri's AG needs to investigate them all?

LEO 229

imported post

marine dad wrote:
leo229,

i have usually agreed with your posts in the past, but this time you are entirely f.o.s. you , as a typical leo, automatically accepted that the "poor, unfortunate officer in missouri" was being "baited" by the young man. i have watched this video several times now, could you point out the "baiting tactics? how about the erratic driving this young man supposedly did? it appears from his video that he was driving straight and gave a legal turn signal. as i said on the original thread this was posted on, i hope with all my heart somebody catches this nice missouri "officer" out and beats the everloving shit out of him.

I previously generated too much confusion trying to speak about so many things at once. People got confused and thought I was defending the cop.

I do not condone what he did. He went off the deep end too fast and appears to be his thing. You just need to push him just a little to get him started.

In my opinion..... the driver did have a little attitude. I posted why already and explained that in detail. I am not saying that THIS attitude justified the cops behavior. I was just pointing out to all those that thought the driver was an innocent angel and honor student.... that he did have an attitude that did NOT help the situation.

I am not siding with either party. I have actually posted that both parties did a little something wrong. I also posted elsewhere that the LEO should be fired. I am not sure how this is siding with him.

I may have posted that "maybe" the driver set him up or "baited" the LEO knowing he had a camera recording. I mean... Honestly... If you have that kind of trouble that you need to video tape your every moment... that is very odd in my opinion.

I may have provided some explanations... but do not take this as me taking sides.

I am providing the LEO Prospective.....

LEO 229

imported post

automan wrote:
After reading the posts and watching the video, I'm simply amazed that a felon is employed as a cop. Yeah, his record was exponged, but what judge would allow a guy convicted of a felony (ies)to become a cop or continue to be a cop? I thought cops had a higher standard to live up to both on the job and off than us mortals? Man, when I was a kidI lived in a neighborhood full of cops. They were respected because of who they are and what they did. Seems like there is a whole nest ofquestionable people running around in Missouri with police powers. The mayor and alderman only seem to care about the revenue the cops generate from the traffic stops. Maybe Missouri's AG needs to investigate them all?

As I recall... I had to identify ALL crimes I was charged with... sealed or not.

Sounds like his department did not require them or he did not disclose them knowing they would never know.

If he did have a record... they should have neverhired him

para_org

imported post

marine dad wrote:
leo229,

Yeah....basically the motorist merely asked questions directly based on (his) confusion. Somehow that was/is being interpreted as attitude. That and his feeling a need to record things.

All of which seems quite one-sided to me. Giving ANY credence to this supposed attitude certainly would fail a Terry test. SO.... I am taking the position that ANY cop that discusses a motorist asking such simple questions (based on (possible) confusion) as displaying "an attitude" undoubtably has "an attitude" of his own to address.

And I rather think many of you all would agree too.

As for the recording of a traffic stop by a motorist as displaying anything of merit I would suggest the cops just get over it, as they ALSO record as a matter of course these days. <- Is this too simple for some people here to grasp ?

para_org

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
automan wrote:

As I recall... I had to identify ALL crimes I was charged with... sealed or not.

Sounds like his department did not require them or he did not disclose them knowing they would never know.

If he did have a record... they should have neverhired him
On this you and I can agree.

I use to work in the Los Angeles County Jail system as a civilian employee. (I even had an office *inside* a jail for a short time...which is/was quite unusual I am told.)

Anyways, it was my (dis)pleasure to know way too many deputies that should have been inmates themselves. I was lead to believe that many of these guys would spend their LEO careers in that jail system, as they were not "public material". I wonder if any "escaped" to become LEO's in the outside world. <- They were interesting to have lunch with though !!

LEO 229

imported post

para_org wrote:
Yeah....basically the motorist merely asked questions directly based on (his) confusion. Somehow that was/is being interpreted as attitude. That and his feeling a need to record things.

All of which seems quite one-sided to me. Giving ANY credence to this supposed attitude certainly would fail a Terry test. SO.... I am taking the position that ANY cop that discusses a motorist asking such simple questions (based on (possible) confusion) as displaying "an attitude" undoubtably has "an attitude" of his own to address.

As for the recording of a traffic stop by a motorist as displaying anything of merit I would suggest the cops just get over it, as they ALSO record as a matter of course these days. <- Is this too simple for some people here to grasp ?
I guess I have an attitude. Sorry be being observant and open minded. Many people on here are too scared to speak their mind for fear of being flamed so they just go with the flow. I call it like I see it.

In regards to him recording his every driving minute...your basically telling me to get over it? I appreciate that. I only mentioned that this type of activity is highly unusual.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

You didn't, um, er....you know...

crossed_fingers_0.thumbnail.jpg

Individualist

imported post

LEO229,

At what point would you consider your oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States, Bill of Rightsand the Constitution of the state in which you work to be broken?At what level oftyrannywould the government federal or statehave to reach for the police to join the people andnot "just follow orders" from the government, or a United Nations protocal, especially when it goes against our nations soveriegnty and peoples right to life, liberty and freedom?

Not looking to pin you down, nor show you any disrespect, but I think we all understand we live in a militarized police state and laws are passedby the elite for the elite and you are their enforcers.

appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

LEO 229

imported post

Individualist wrote:
LEO229,

At what point would you consider your oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States, Bill of Rightsand the Constitution of the state in which you work to be broken?At what level oftyrannywould the government federal or statehave to reach for the police to join the people andnot "just follow orders" from the government, or a United Nations protocal, especially when it goes against our nations soveriegnty and peoples right to life, liberty and freedom?

Not looking to pin you down, nor show you any disrespect, but I think we all understand we live in a militarized police state and laws are passedby the elite for the elite and you are their enforcers.

LEOs work within the law. They also know what is right and wrong.

We would all refuse to do something that obviously bad and not in the best interest of the public or would reflect poorly on our agency.

I can tell you that EVERY LEO I know does not agree with the civil fees and have started writing other tickets when possible to avoid having to hammer the people.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Maybe the LEOs really are opposed to civil remedial fees,but I remeber on july 1st,and 2nd , OMFG nothing but TONS of law enforcement presence on all the roads, it sure didn't,and doesn't -seem- like they oppose it. But thigns aren't always as they seem

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Individualist wrote:
LEO229,

LEOs work within the law. They also know what is right and wrong.

We would all refuse to do something that obviously bad and not in the best interest of the public or would reflect poorly on our agency.

I can tell you that EVERY LEO I know does not agree with the civil fees and have started writing other tickets when possible to avoid having to hammer the people.
The civil fee is a consequence, start writing tickets that are 'cheap' and the people don't really care two days later.

Hammer then with the real deal once and the chances of them doing it again, at least soon should theoretically be much less.

Individualist

imported post

Now, I was not referring tospeeding tickets,DUI, domestic violence, child abuse armed robbery etc......... thats what are men & women in blueare for and do a fantastic job I might add......... but thats not whereI seethe break happening.

straight talk......... we ownfirearms to protect ourselves from criminals and that can and has includedour own government and officals.I was respectfully, I hope, looking for insight to our present state of disconnect. The militarization of our (their) police forces are not in response to an increase in violent crimesfrom the American people...... At least I don't see it. But because of thisUN/globalist elite/one world governmentagenda, I see road blocks being thrown up like drift nets onsalmon runs ........ guilty until proven innocent ...... warrentless search & seizures .......... against the 4th I might add.

The United States of America is a now a police state.Half of me feelsorry for the LEO's, because they do have a job to do, andwe/theycan become numb to the stresses and forget what its really all about. HOWEVER, my other half see's a group of individuals blindly following "orders" and don't really give a hoot what damage is being done to this country or to the American society.

You see those videos on google and youtube and your blood boils. You see the overwhelming force and brutality against peopleasking questions of policy, or demonstrating at a WTO gathering and you are treated as a "domestic terrorist/ insergent.

I would like to think that ifour government stupidlyrepeated history, that I wouldbe able to stand side by side with a LEO, to protect the soveriegnty and freedoms of our country andour people against tyranny.

Hitler gained power not because he was a powerful man....... he was just a man. But people blindlyfollowed him and for what ?........ is your fellow man really that much of a threat to you if you allow him theRIGHT TO BE FREE, same as you deserve.

"there is no spoon" :idea:......:idea:...:idea:........:banghead:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, time for a topic that shouldn't lead to much controversy... LEO229, you've posted before about purchasing/owning NFA (class 3?) weapons, so maybe you'll have some insite here, even though this isn't a generaly LEO specific question...

Why is it, that I can have a handgun with a 10" barrel, no problem, but a rifle with a <16" barrel is such a terrible, dangerous thing that it's an NFA weapon?!?!

para_org

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
para_org wrote:

I guess I have an attitude. Sorry be being observant and open minded. Many people on here are too scared to speak their mind for fear of being flamed so they just go with the flow. I call it like I see it.

In regards to him recording his every driving minute...your basically telling me to get over it? I appreciate that. I only mentioned that this type of activity is highly unusual.
O.K.... on the "call it like I see it." ... I give you points for being forthright about your opinions. Please do NOT appologize for being observant, but rather PLEASE be careful on how you react to what you observe is all I ask.

As for the recording; in HIS case it is NOT unusual. He had, in the recent past, been assaulted by a drunk and disorderly off duty cop and for his trouble was arrested and charged with an offense. Fortunately for him the grand jury saw through the whole mess and refused to turn him over for prosecution.

It was enough of a mess for the St. Louis area police to have offered an out-of-court settlement for his trouble. I think if he had been given a chance to explain why he records traffic stops ALMOST ANYONE would/should understand.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After seeing the missouri video and reading about other incidents in norfolk and manassas I'm going to have to start giving more creadance to those who complain that the police are harrassing and bullying them.

Just because you have a badge does not automaticly make you a good guy,I will err on the cautious side,as one bad cop can ruin my life and who is gonna believe a peaceable citizen.

And yes I know not all cops are like this, but the few who are make it difficult for ALL of US.

marine dad

imported post

individualist stated;

"straight talk......... we ownfirearms to protect ourselves from criminals and that can and has includedour own government and officals.I was respectfully, I hope, looking for insight to our present state of disconnect. The militarization of our (their) police forces are not in response to an increase in violent crimesfrom the American people...... At least I don't see it. But because of thisUN/globalist elite/one world governmentagenda, I see road blocks being thrown up like drift nets onsalmon runs ........ guilty until proven innocent ...... warrentless search & seizures .......... against the 4th I might add.

The United States of America is a now a police state.Half of me feelsorry for the LEO's, because they do have a job to do, andwe/theycan become numb to the stresses and forget what its really all about. HOWEVER, my other half see's a group of individuals blindly following "orders" and don't really give a hoot what damage is being done to this country or to the American society. "

i agree totally, and while we all like to quote the founding fathers about the "tree of liberty", "those giving up freedom for security deserve neither", and all the rest, the sad fact is that most of us are not willing to defend our freedoms to the death, while the majority of leo's won't hesistate to use whatever force needed to usurp those same rights if they feel the need to do so.