• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Audio recording and the cops?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

McX wrote:
On the other hand, if someone seriously thought they were being tracked through their cellphone and didn't appreciate it, all they would need to do is tape the phone to a delivery truck or semi, and let them follow it all across the countryside

*i see you saw the movie Thief too!

Um.... no. Should I?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
968 deals with wire tapping. That is not the same as recording a personal conversation in person. That referrs to intercepting line communications.
Take another look at it... it includes "oral communications."
Talking over the phone is oral communications

I have asked a Judge on this issue and I have been informed that you can legally tape any conversation that you personally are a participant in. Whether the other participants are knowledgeable of your recording or not.

These recordings are also admissable in court.

There is a difference between listening in to two ther peoples phone conversation and recording their conversation. That is wire tapping.

For example, lets say that Nutczak and I were at his home and he called Shotgun on a three way call that shotgun did not know about. Lets say that I was the person listening in on that three way but never participated in the conversation and Shotgun was not aware that I was listening in. I can not legally record the conversation.

Now if Shotgun was aware that I was present in the three way and I was an active participant in the conversation then I could legally record the conversation.

I must disagree on your understanding of 968. I have recorded peoples conversations and successfully used those recordings as evidence in court.
JG, I'm puzzled by what you perceive the disagreement to be. I completely agree with you that one may record any conversation of which they are a participant or at least one of the participants is aware of the recording. I've never stated anything other than that.

A face-to-face conversation is also "an oral communication" and I believe it too is covered by 968. Obviously one does not need any sort of mechanical device to have a communication with another person.
I misread your statement, I thought you were arguing that you can not legally tape record. I was wondering why you would argue that. I guess that is what happens when you work to many shifts. Sorry.