• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Available weapon at home (to combat potential home invasion)

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
Damn it Gator. Just give them a map!:D, some variances in your "layout" of my home: Weapon and magazine on top of the refrigerator, central location, 3 seconds from any room on main floor. Visual secluded by walls, deeper into the house than the front entry- for start, and fall back. And laugh if you wish but: As I prep. "for launch" the refrigerator door offers moveable protection and concealment, as well as a token bullet stopper- or at least slower downer.
As a side note to my 'map'... You are in Wisconsin... I have lived almost all of my life in Texas... 'typical housing' varies by region, but I can 'layout' almost any house by just looking at the front of it! and I am neither an architect nor a criminal! Also, I can walk straight to all the 'typical' 'hiding places' in most homes... If you think for even a second that a 'career criminal' couldn't do the same, you are sorely (possibly even deathly) mistaken... Watch the series 'It takes a thief' (I think it is/was on discovery channel) A couple of Ex-thieves case out and rob houses then show the owners how they did it and how to beef up their security. Very enlightening!:shock:

What you think of as a good spot, is everyone elses 'good spot' and thus no longer really hidden... Nightstand, mattress, Fridge, desk drawer, closet, end table....
Go for the not so obvious, that are often WAY more obvious; hidden in plain sight if you will... 'Display gun' on the wall; In the umbrella stand, etc... be creative, where would you NOT expect to find a gun?:uhoh:

ON, your person is best, but strategically placed around the house is also good! (even in addition to actually 'carrying'...)

Oh yeah, for years I had an old fridge in my 'back yard' that was about 75 yds from my back door that I used for target practice! Great for .22, don't expect it to stop anything bigger!:banghead: