• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro ~ Open Carry Policy

damienrr

I went to BP OC-ing 2C Bert, and when I asked security, they said "Who's Bert?" I said, "No, not Hubert....Bert!" And, security said, "What?" And, I said "What, what?" So security said, "What is it that you need?" I restated "I need 2C Bert about BPs OC policy", and they said "U need 2C BPs OC policy???". I said, "Yes, from Bert!" Then, they said "Who??" And, I said "Bert...BERT!" Security said "Who's Bert?!?!" Then I got mad, and I said, "I told you already I don't want to see Hubert!! I want to see Bert, and if you won't let me see Bert on BP's OC policy, I'll go get MEM!!" Then, security said "MEM?", and I said, "Yes, MEM!" Then security angrily said, "I'm not a Ma'am!", and I said, "I know you're not MEM!" Security replied, "Then why did you call me ma'am?" I said, "I didn't say you were MEM! I said I would go get MEM if you don't let me see Bert!?" And, unbelievably, security called Hubert again, and that's when I had enough. I hawked a big fat lugee on his shoe, farted, and left. I'm going to Cabela's next time.

Wow buddy, I dont know if you should even own a firearm let alone carry in public. Was that suppose to be a joke? I thought a history of mental disorders excluded you from gun ownership.

sraacke

I went to BP OC-ing 2C Bert, and when I asked security, they said "Who's Bert?" I said, "No, not Hubert....Bert!" And, security said, "What?" And, I said "What, what?" So security said, "What is it that you need?" I restated "I need 2C Bert about BPs OC policy", and they said "U need 2C BPs OC policy???". I said, "Yes, from Bert!" Then, they said "Who??" And, I said "Bert...BERT!" Security said "Who's Bert?!?!" Then I got mad, and I said, "I told you already I don't want to see Hubert!! I want to see Bert, and if you won't let me see Bert on BP's OC policy, I'll go get MEM!!" Then, security said "MEM?", and I said, "Yes, MEM!" Then security angrily said, "I'm not a Ma'am!", and I said, "I know you're not MEM!" Security replied, "Then why did you call me ma'am?" I said, "I didn't say you were MEM! I said I would go get MEM if you don't let me see Bert!?" And, unbelievably, security called Hubert again, and that's when I had enough. I hawked a big fat lugee on his shoe, farted, and left. I'm going to Cabela's next time.

Who's on First?

Last edited:

Paul E. Blouin

Paul, like it or not, when we oc in public it draws attention both good and bad. If you are worried about a situation arising from the act of ocing while you are with your family then why do it to begin with. Conceal carry. You still have the ability to defend both you and your family and you can avoid the situation all together. I mean no disrespect, just curious. And chances are if your civil rights are infringed it would not be that hard to find a lawyer.

Hey Damienrr, what's happening!

Well, in a way you are right and in a way you are wrong. Like I said, it's just an education process, to let one person know at a time that we are not breaking the law (unless private proverty forbids it and asks us to leave and we don't, etc.) when we open carry. So, (by the way, I can carry concealed or anyway I like) I like taking the time to show my family that there is a right way of doing things, particulary when it comes to matters that the general public is mostly unaware of, or just indifferent to. After all, this is The United State of American. No big deal ... just writing it for others to see and draw their own conclusions and ideas from.

Just like others here on the board, I forget to take my medicine (AmosMoses, just kidding) and get a little off track maybe. It is easy sometimes in the written word to missunderstand intentions, when one cannot see expressions or gestures.

Thanks for your opinion and suggestion! If you noticed the rig I carry (sometimes) it will work easily in both situations, either oc or cc.

Last edited:

Paul E. Blouin

Talked to Bert!

Ok I talked to the girl I know that works at BP last night again.
She told me about the same thing Paul said they told him. She said her manager tells them if you are OC'ing to ask if you're a LEO. If not you have to go outside and unload.

I tried to tell her their policy, what is so damn hard that the BP people can't inform their people of the policy. I wonder if they need the public to come to one of their store meetings to explain Co. policy to them.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your help and concern. I just spoke with Bert at Bass Pro. Supernice guy, very helpful. He said, he was recently re-educated and now knows that BP's policy is, as does Louisiana law, allows for open carry (in their store). He said, he was going with an older policy and was not aware of the new one. I did ask him to speak openly about it and give me his opinion. Which I will respect, but share just a little of, he doesn't believe that some people should be carrying. I told him I completely agree, but how are we going to determine who gets their civil rights and who doesn't? Once we let people arbitrarily do this, will we like it when we receive the same. He agreed. Didn't push it to far, because I felt, it wasn't the place or the time. Sometimes you have to agreed to disagree. Ended call very respectfull to each other; no problems whatsoever....Bert's the man!

I dont' know why there were some on this board that objected to what I was trying to do or what method I was using. It seems as though, there is another person more aware of what our rights are and what they are to do when someone asks them what BP's store policy is on open carry. If not, then so be it, let that person follow it up in the future, if that individual decided to not explain policy correctly. At least, he has been told and admits he was incorrect, even if his personal feeling would want something perhaps different.

NRAMARINE

Outstanding.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your help and concern. I just spoke with Bert at Bass Pro. Supernice guy, very helpful. He said, he was recently re-educated and now knows that BP's policy is, as does Louisiana law, allows for open carry (in their store). He said, he was going with an older policy and was not aware of the new one. I did ask him to speak openly about it and give me his opinion. Which I will respect, but share just a little of, he doesn't believe that some people should be carrying. I told him I completely agree, but how are we going to determine who gets their civil rights and who doesn't? Once we let people arbitrarily do this, will we like it when we receive the same. He agreed. Didn't push it to far, because I felt, it wasn't the place or the time. Sometimes you have to agreed to disagree. Ended call very respectfull to each other; no problems whatsoever....Bert's the man!

I dont' know why there were some on this board that objected to what I was trying to do or what method I was using. It seems as though, there is another person more aware of what our rights are and what they are to do when someone asks them what BP's store policy is on open carry. If not, then so be it, let that person follow it up in the future, if that individual decided to not explain policy correctly. At least, he has been told and admits he was incorrect, even if his personal feeling would want something perhaps different.

Very well done in my opinion Paul. Score one for the good guys. I believe that is that.

charlie12

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the update Paul
I'll see that girl tonight and I'l ask her if she's heard anything about the policy yet.

She told me the other night that I couldn't carry in a store with a loaded gun with my CHP. I told her in the 15 yrs I've had a CHP she was the first person that's said that. She said she read it somewhere. I told her to stop reading funny books.

NRAMARINE

Thanks for the update Paul
I'll see that girl tonight and I'l ask her if she's heard anything about the policy yet.

She told me the other night that I couldn't carry in a store with a loaded gun with my CHP. I told her in the 15 yrs I've had a CHP she was the first person that's said that. She said she read it somewhere. I told her to stop reading funny books.

Tell her it's time to put the ones with pop up pictures down.

kimber10mm

bass pro

Well, me and my daugther went to Bass Pro, and guess who walks up to us in the gun department with a name tag saying Bert! He asked me if I needed any help. I said, I'm looking for 10 mm semi auto ammo and he said we don't usually have those rounds. I said, hello Bert, I'm the person that called earlier. He smiled. I asked him if that was corporate policy and he said yes. I thanked him for his help and told him to have a great 4th of July.

I would like to get this clarified and then give Mr. Bert a telephone call and help him to understand corporate policy for his store. No disrespect to Bert. He was supernice and helpful, just possibly misinformed. I notice that the letter on the earlier posts is dated June 2009. Has their policy changed since then?[/QUOTE]

bert IS a very nice person however he has been there since day 1 and should know the policy on OC
it was changed last yr because of the OC law in louisiana
every one working there went through class on OC and im sure bert did too
i worked there for over 2 yrs and true that some (new emplys) do not know or chose to ignore the new rules
by now im sure the correct rules have been reported here

barf

Well, me and my daugther went to Bass Pro, and guess who walks up to us in the gun department with a name tag saying Bert! He asked me if I needed any help. I said, I'm looking for 10 mm semi auto ammo and he said we don't usually have those rounds. I said, hello Bert, I'm the person that called earlier. He smiled. I asked him if that was corporate policy and he said yes. I thanked him for his help and told him to have a great 4th of July.

I would like to get this clarified and then give Mr. Bert a telephone call and help him to understand corporate policy for his store. No disrespect to Bert. He was supernice and helpful, just possibly misinformed. I notice that the letter on the earlier posts is dated June 2009. Has their policy changed since then?

bert IS a very nice person however he has been there since day 1 and should know the policy on OC
it was changed last yr because of the OC law in louisiana
every one working there went through class on OC and im sure bert did too
i worked there for over 2 yrs and true that some (new emplys) do not know or chose to ignore the new rules
by now im sure the correct rules have been reported here[/QUOTE]

So... this happened 24 days ago?

george everette sibley

some people live and learn, others just live

Albert Einstein often said "doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results, is the definition of insanity.

How many more times are you guys going to keep riding the corporate policy merry-go-round with Bass Pro?