• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bay Area Meetup With Media Film Crew.

cato

imported post

chesphoto wrote:
Descent coverage...

But what about the last LEO that was showing photographs of fellow officers kill by guns. Were the killers part of the OC movement? Hell no, but he sure was trying to make it look like OC were the problem.

That is just wrong

Let's keep in mind that the good Captain was also an interviewee.Despite his lack of comprehension as to why private persons would want to open carry arms before conflict rather then beg for a license to carry after a violent one, lets not make that stretch.

We don't know what query or line of conversation led to filming at the fallen officer's wall. It was more likely to me that it was solely convenient editing or simply came from the question regarding the fact thatpolice having no duty to protect. They don't have a legal duty but many officers feel a moral duty to do their best in dangerous situations. I won't begrudge the Captain for touting their losses in the line of duty.

And I wouldn't correlate that to a belief of his that OCers are the same threat as the BGs who shot those two officers (absent a direct quote indicating assuch). We should give him the benefit of the doubt and direct the criticism to the editor and orproducer of the program.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I question the tactical efficacy of suggesting that people will be more polite to you if you are armed. That this may be true is something we learn from experience.

However, to our target audience (i.e. people with no OC experience), this argument may seem strange.

"What does the gun have to do with being polite? Are you going to shoot people who are rude? Or do you expect people to fear that?" Notice that's exactly the reaction you received.

Personally, I'd rather people weren't more polite to me when I OC, as there isn't a good reason for it. I'm not there to intimidate you, and if you wish to be rude I will react the same as if I were unarmed.

If anything, the positive result is that I am more polite when I am armed.

"An armed society is a polite society" refers to the behavior of those who are armed -- they are constantly aware at all times of the weight of their actions. This is a good argument.

That unarmed people are more polite isn't a good argument. The most likely reasons that someone will consider are A: they think you're a cop, or B: they're slightly intimidated (if ever so slightly). Neither of these is a positive reaction. That some people may feel more comfortable and might be as a result more polite is probable, but counterintuitive.

cato

imported post

Yes, we would do better using the seat belt/insurance/can't fit a cop in my pocket analogies with the general public not familiar with firearm use and carry. Maybe a brochure aimed at the reasons for SD would help bridge that gap?

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

cato wrote:
Yes, we would do better using the seat belt/insurance/can't fit a cop in my pocket analogies with the general public not familiar with firearm use and carry.

In the hour long interview I made these points. When asked why carry every day? I made the insurance reference and gave an anecdote about carry a pocket knife everyday since I was 10 and never knowing when I'd need to open a box or cut a string from the hem of my wife's dress. But none of that made it in, less interesting compared to when I miss spoke and made a dumb comment about "politeness".

And yes I think the memorial of fallen officers was put in as a rebuttal to my comment about LE not having a legal duty to protect individual citizens. I suspect the other officers died in vehicular incidents.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bad_ace wrote:
But none of that made it in, less interesting compared to when I miss spoke and made a dumb comment about "politeness".
Yeah, that's journalists for you.

I hope it didn't sound like I was trying to harangue you. I figured that's exactly what happened. But, since they're going to keep us on our toes, I think constructive criticism is best voiced in the open forum where newbies can learn from our mistakes.

:)

cato

imported post

Recents media experiences are also another reason to wait on media contact until we are in a position to claim a protected activity (a Right). Because then we can really get to the work of desensitization without so much concernfor some peoples opinions and we'll will then be on equal ground with the rest of the countries OC "movement".

Another pit fall from media stories is this guy who just strapped on without all the "required" knowledge we all strongly encourage:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3408054&postcount=1

He and a few others are likely to become what I call "Darwin" arrests. Shouldn't be that way but until certain laws are changed criminal liability exists.