• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Because I can carry a full sized service pistol

Sig229

imported post

since9 wrote:
One might argue a 9mm isn't a full-sized pistol just because there are bigger ones out there...

But the same could be said for most pistols.

Its not so much that the caliber is what makes a pistol "full size", but rather the actual size of the pistol itself.

A full sized pistol is far more likely to carry larger capacity magazines then a revolver, or compact and sub compact handguns.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
since9 wrote:
One might argue a 9mm isn't a full-sized pistol just because there are bigger ones out there...

But the same could be said for most pistols.

Its not so much that the caliber is what makes a pistol "full size", but rather the actual size of the pistol itself.

A full sized pistol is far more likely to carry larger capacity magazines then a revolver, or compact and sub compact handguns.
Also longer barrels make for higher velocities and better penetration/expansion

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

When I think full size pistol I think; AK pistol, AR pistol, Sig556 pistol, PLR-16, puma bounty hunter, thompson pistol, desert eagle .50ae, or smith and wesson's .44 magnum, .460 or .500 with 12" barrels.

Sig229

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
When I think full size pistol I think; AK pistol, AR pistol, Sig556 pistol, PLR-16, puma bounty hunter, thompson pistol, desert eagle .50ae, or smith and wesson's .44 magnum, .460 or .500 with 12" barrels.

Those arent actually "pistols" in the literal sense.

They are considered pistols just for legal status.

I think the AK pistol, AR pistol ect. are more like "very short barreled rifles with no shoulder stock"

Afterall, they are closer to rifles than they are pistols.

TJ347

imported post

We all know (or should know) the advantages of carrying a full-sized semi, but we also know that if the weight of such a weapon is more than a person wants to deal with on a daily basis, it's better that they carry something they can tolerate than to carry nothing.

That said, before directing people to .380s because they don't want to carry a semi-autohandgun heavy enough to ensure regular visits to their chiropractor, how about referring them to lighweight 9mmslike theKel-Tec P-11, which gives them eleven rounds of self-defense potential? Not that there's anything wrong with my Ruger LCP, but it's not appropriate as a primary weapon IMHO, and yes... I am biased since I carry a P-11.

OPS MARINE

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I saw two holes in this story (no pun intended). It says the officer shot the BG in his left leg, severing his femoral artery. That artery is in the right leg. The other hole was;

"The officer could actually see the rounds exiting Ripley's firearm"

While possible, I would vote doubtful. Still the fact that this officer survived his ordeal is a blessing and he is to be commended for his actions. It does once more prove that you just never know.

As for seeing rounds exit a handgun, under ideal circumstances, it is possible to see bullets in flight. This happened to me once at a shooting range. I took my wife's boss to Gilbert's in Lorton for some range time. We both had Browning Hi-Power Mark III-S pistols (mine had been worked by Sandy at Northern Virginia Gun Works). He also took a small .38 Special revolver and I took my .44 Magnum 5 1/2" Redhawk which he wanted to try.

I also took handloads for the .44 in the form of 240gr Sierra JHC bullets over 23 grains of 2400 Hercules. When it came time for him to try the .44, I loaded 6 rounds and put it on his side for him. (he was on my left). When he fired, I saw five of the six rounds going down range (accordingly to my Sierra loading manual, this load was in the neighborhood of 1500 fps). The reason I saw this was the lighting. He was right under some flourescent fixtures and with the normal 60 hertz, it was perfect for this to happen. They looked like copper colored rays - damnedest thing.

Then I tried it and he saw one of six, but I was not directly under light fixtures so I suspect that was why he didn't see more. I am reluctant to tell people this because they look at you like you're some kind of nutcase. But it's true and it did happen.
1. The femoral artery is in both legs.
2. When a person is in a combat situation, the brain is able to put that person in a hyper-aware state. It is completely possible that the officer saw the rounds exit the weapon, as the brain was compensating. This is what enables a person to act under extreme conditions.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
1. The femoral artery is in both legs.
2. When a person is in a combat situation, the brain is able to put that person in a hyper-aware state. It is completely possible that the officer saw the rounds exit the weapon, as the brain was compensating. This is what enables a person to act under extreme conditions.

One of the most rational things I've read so far.

As to the cops situation, that's just proof a 9mm lacks in the ability to put a man down for good. Glad the cop survived though. Hello .40/.45 :cool:

dukenukum

imported post

See this Holy writing
1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."
2 "And shouldst thou muck with it,and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."
3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.
4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.
5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. [sup]a[/sup]
6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.
7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.
8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.
9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.
10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.
11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.
12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.
13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation [sup]b[/sup] by the followers of John.
[sup]a [/sup]Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."
[sup]b[/sup] or Hell
© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer
This not meant as a offense to my fellow Christians or anyone else.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

dukenukum wrote:
See this Holy writing
1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."
2 "And shouldst thou muck with it,and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."
3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.
4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.
5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. [suP]a[/suP]
6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.
7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.
8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.
9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.
10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.
11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.
12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.
13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation [suP]b[/suP] by the followers of John.
[suP]a [/suP]Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."
[suP]b[/suP] or Hell
© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer
This not meant as a offense to my fellow Christians or anyone else.
Dude, you should really work for Monty Python. That was awesome.

hellstorm702

imported post

I'm not a big guy at all, only 5'4" 155 lbs., and I carry a full size 5" 1911, it took me a bit to get used to the weight, not like the M-9's weight that I carried in the service for years.

Matt85

imported post

the OPs article made me feel better about my choice in a sidearm. My choice full size pistol isa customCZ 75 SP-01. its got a 4.7" barrel, 18+1 capacity, is extremely reliable, and is designed for +P and NATO ammunition.mines currently chambered in 9mm but im on the hunt for .22LR (suppressed)and .40 complete uppers.

the downside to the SP-01 is its size and weight. but im sure if i can find the right holster, i would be able to get used to the weight.

heres thestock stats: http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-sp-01/

-matt

Neeslycrunch

imported post

I own a Springfield Armory XD 40 caliber subcompact. I originally was planning to CC only. I wanted something more powerful than a 380 but small enough to CC. I now OC regular also. I wish I would have went ahead a bought the 4" barrel instead of the 3" subcompact.

open4years

imported post

I may get bashed again for this. I carry a primary and a BUG. I carry 2-3 extra mags for the primary. I used to think that was enough, then I realized that one reason for a BUG is the primary breaks/stolen/etc. So, then that means my BUG becomes my primary. Did I have extra
mags for it? No. So now I either carry a primary and back up that accepts the same mags or I carry extra mags for the BUG too.

I never intend on being on my knees begging a BG not to kill me. I may die but I'll either die going for my BUG or doing my best to take him out first.

Loneviking

imported post

This cop made so many mistakes he's lucky to be alive! He wasn't behind cover when he opened fire, he stood in the open and hollered 'police'; he has a five shot revolver and no reloads going up against a Glock. He could have managed if he'd not tried to act like he would if he was on duty.

darkego

\
A gunfight began. The BG fired and hit the LEO. The LEO fired back and scored a few hits but quickly ran out of ammo.

Did it say what he was firing? I find it hard to believe few .357 mag hits would not have done the trick. Must have been .38? And a double action revolver cocked into single action can produce some pretty accurate shots.

kwikrnu

Banned
Did it say what he was firing? I find it hard to believe few .357 mag hits would not have done the trick. Must have been .38? And a double action revolver cocked into single action can produce some pretty accurate shots.

The .357 has a reduced velocity out of a 1 7/8 inch snub nose revolver. One of the reasons I don't have a snub nose .357 pistol.

darkego

The .357 has a reduced velocity out of a 1 7/8 inch snub nose revolver. One of the reasons I don't have a snub nose .357 pistol.

Almost 2 inch barrel with some "short barrel" .357 ammunition still should have been more then enough, and idea on what he was shooting? Like Speer Gold Dot rounds, or something that compensates for snubbies?

Last edited: