• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham police draw down on Open Carrier

PALO

Which office?

Would a user here please run for King County Sheriff?
Otherwise I may have to run. I don't want the position I just believe it would be better to have a pro-liberty individual in that office and part of the Sheriff's job is to call forth the grand jury.

The guy they have in there now is pretty popular. How could you possibly think you could beat him? I used to live in county jurisdiction, until I moved to a city in King County. I filmed KCSO cops when I lived there several times w/o getting hassled. I've got lots of friends in KCSO. On the whole, they like their Sheriff. So, he's popular with the residents and his deputies. I know a few guys who used to work Maricopa County and work here now. They loathe "Sheriff Joe". I have two inlaws who live in MC. Former LEO's here in WA. They think he's a dingdong. They were asked to be part of his "posse" but declined. The Sheriff in KC used to be the dept's Public Information Officer as a Sgt. I thought he was awesome because he was the least politically correct PIO I ever heard. I was amazed by some of the stuff he said and the way he referred to perps and apparently the Sheriff at the time had no problem with him doing that, and the public lapped it up. Total contrast to Seattle's PIO who was extremely PC

The grand jury thing trips me out. Ham sandwiches aside, grand jurys are pretty interesting and fun I to testify in front of, since unlike "normal" (petit) juries, they ask a lot of questions when you are testifying. I was bummed out when I moved here and realized we rarely use grand jurys. In hawaii, I testified on over 120 cases before the GJ. Having informations instead of indictments is definitely weird. GJ's serve a valuable purpose as investigative bodies, in addition to their function as indicters. At least we have inquest juries of a sort when cops kill somebody (big difference here is when citizens kill somebody in self defense they don't go before inquest as a matter of routine (it may happen rarely that I am not aware of , but it's extremely rare if it happens at all) but when a cop kills somebody it per policy always gets the inquest treatment). The inquest jury has no power to indict etc. All it does is act as an investigative body and answer a series of questions posed to it, which helps the prosecutor decide if charges are warranted and also acts as a form of very open govt. to give the public insight into the shooting / killing.

I've testified before death inquests before.

The thing about KC is that they are spread very thin, much thinner than the national average of cops per capita. When you look at the # of cops they have (unlike some sheriffs, they solely act in the patrol sheriff function. they do not run the jail) per capita especially considering the geographic size of the county AND you consider the regional services they provide (they have civil deputies that serve subpoenas, they have a helicopter that serves all nearby agencies not just their own, they have a marine unit that also serves some neighboring agencies in addition to themself, and they have other deputies that serve "sheriff functions" like evictions and such), it becomes apparent they are even thinner than it seems at first glance. Considering that, I think they do a damn good job, and when I lived there I was happy with police service. Just had the understanding that depending on case load, response time could be quite long, especially for a paper detail vs. an in progress detail. When my car got broken into, I just made the report via their computer reporting service instead of waiting for a deputy

Last edited:

kparker

The thing about KC is that they are spread very thin, much thinner than the national average of cops per capita.

Remember when Sue Rahr said, due to budget cuts and downsizing, people ought to think more about relying on themselves for protection? (The comment certainly annoyed all the right people... heh.)

Alpine

I've met Urquhart and he's a family friend, he accepts OC as the law and tells me that he instructs KCSO to abide by it. Not please with everything his department has done, such as downtown they stick people trying to get CPLs in line with sex offenders getting fingerprinted but you can't win them all.

sudden valley gunner

I've met Urquhart and he's a family friend, he accepts OC as the law and tells me that he instructs KCSO to abide by it. Not please with everything his department has done, such as downtown they stick people trying to get CPLs in line with sex offenders getting fingerprinted but you can't win them all.

:lol: of course if you think outside the box like I do maybe that isn't a bad thing.....

EMNofSeattle

Which office?

Otherwise I may have to run. I don't want the position I just believe it would be better to have a pro-liberty individual in that office and part of the Sheriff's job is to call forth the grand jury.

your campaign wouldn't go that far as sheriff once Urqhart's camp drags up your associated myriad of OCDO posts

better off running for water district commissioner, no one pays attention to that one.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Which office?

It would be for state. Not sure if I want to get into the pig pen though.....