• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Birmingham considers gun ban? Will they every learn?

jpvoodoo

This is the new anti-carry strategy.

I'm new here but, I've followed the Sean Combs incident. The way I see it, these anti-gunners have discovered a new strategy. One by one, add each type of establishment to the list of pistol free zones until you can do nothing but openly carry in your own yard. First it's a school or court. Next it's a church. Then it's a library. Soon a restaraunt, until 5000 "establishment types" are on the list. This is exactly the strategy that was being used for the Assault Weapon Ban. We just keep adding gun models or undesirable characteristics to the exception list until all semi-autos are banned.

A lot of you are talking about the existing pre-emption law and thinking that will stop them. This is a potential virus that needs to be killed.

This is not just an open-carry issue, or a concealed carry issue, or a pistol carry issue, or a rifle carry issue. I know this forum concerns itself with OC of handguns only, but this is really about the advancement of an agenda against any carry at all, piece by piece. No one in any "carry" movement can afford to allow this strategy to be successful even once. Lets keep an eye on any proposed legislation, not just the stuff we're favorable to. And to any of you who do live in Cakland County, we should be writing Pappageorge too. Lets not even wait for legislation to be proposed.

Hevymetal

Dream Cruise

The family and I are going to be heading out to the dream cruise later today. I am making it a point to OC and make a little side trip to downtown Birmingham. I wonder what time the library is open today? Hopefully I may see another OCer out and about :)

stainless1911

Banned
Welcome

I'm new here but, I've followed the Sean Combs incident. The way I see it, these anti-gunners have discovered a new strategy. One by one, add each type of establishment to the list of pistol free zones until you can do nothing but openly carry in your own yard. First it's a school or court. Next it's a church. Then it's a library. Soon a restaraunt, until 5000 "establishment types" are on the list. This is exactly the strategy that was being used for the Assault Weapon Ban. We just keep adding gun models or undesirable characteristics to the exception list until all semi-autos are banned.

A lot of you are talking about the existing pre-emption law and thinking that will stop them. This is a potential virus that needs to be killed.

This is not just an open-carry issue, or a concealed carry issue, or a pistol carry issue, or a rifle carry issue. I know this forum concerns itself with OC of handguns only, but this is really about the advancement of an agenda against any carry at all, piece by piece. No one in any "carry" movement can afford to allow this strategy to be successful even once. Lets keep an eye on any proposed legislation, not just the stuff we're favorable to. And to any of you who do live in Cakland County, we should be writing Pappageorge too. Lets not even wait for legislation to be proposed.

Good first post.

Churches are already on the PFZ list.

Last edited:

M1fan1942

I'm in if people are going back down there. When are they going to learn, if you try to ban guns, more guns will show up to stop the ban. Now that I have a handgun i dont have to carry my heavy rifle...:banana:

M1fan1942

The family and I are going to be heading out to the dream cruise later today. I am making it a point to OC and make a little side trip to downtown Birmingham. I wonder what time the library is open today? Hopefully I may see another OCer out and about :)

I was just down there earlier, awesome day for it (the cruise that is. its always a good day to open carry) I walked by 4 BPD officers. They all stared at me like I was a naked Megan Fox :shocker:

M1fan1942

No I wasnt carrying the M1, it's to big to have on you when you are looking at cars. I wouldn't want it to put a dent or scratch into someone's car. I think they just knew who I was and stared me down....I just smiled and asked how they were doing. Anyway, I'd love to set something up if people wanted to protest them again. If anyone would like to help me just send me a PM with your name and phone number.

Evil Creamsicle

No I wasnt carrying the M1, it's to big to have on you when you are looking at cars. I wouldn't want it to put a dent or scratch into someone's car. I think they just knew who I was and stared me down....I just smiled and asked how they were doing. Anyway, I'd love to set something up if people wanted to protest them again. If anyone would like to help me just send me a PM with your name and phone number.

You have my info already, gimme a shout if you want to do something.

Tucker6900

For those interested....

I took it upon myself to email the Birmingham City Commission, Manager, and Mayor to ask about their plans. The response I received was rather enlightening. Here ya go:

Dear Mr. Clark,

First, I agree banning firearms in public places will not make those places any safer. Second, I assume the recent article you are referring to is "Birmingham officials seek ban on guns in public buildings" (http://www.hometownlife.com/article...gham-officials-seek-ban-guns-public-buildings). The article accurately stated there was a "discussion" but no "formal vote" at the August 13 City Commission meeting. However, the headline gives readers who did not hear that discussion firsthand the mistaken impression that the City is seeking to ban on guns in public buildings. That is not accurate. Only one City Commissioner was quoted in the article. The article also neglected to mention this discussion was started by an audience member, not a City Commissioner.

As you pointed out, MCL 123.1102 prohibits a local unit of government from enacting or enforcing any such ban. I am familiar with the case law provided by those who have tried in Michigan. Accordingly, the City does not intend to ban guns in City buildings.

Sincerely,

Bob Bruner, City Manager

Enough said.

Last edited:

sasha601

I took it upon myself to email the Birmingham City Commission, Manager, and Mayor to ask about their plans. The response I received was rather enlightening. Here ya go:

Enough said.

They are no more pro OC today than in the past. It is just they did some probing in Lansing and found no support. Plus, they want to avoid provoking any more OC showings in Birmingham. This is why. But, as soon as political climate will change they will be full force trying to ban OC.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
They are no more pro OC today than in the past. It is just they did some probing in Lansing and found no support. Plus, they want to avoid provoking any more OC showings in Birmingham. This is why. But, as soon as political climate will change they will be full force trying to ban OC.

So, "friendly" under threat of protest?

M1fan1942

Yeah, sounds a bit fishy to me. Idk if I honestly believe that. We will just have to see. Btw, I get my handgun on Thursday from Dougwg :monkey