• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Serpa CQC Paddle Holster

Kopis

My favorite paddle holster by far is the comptac straight drop. It's one piece of kydex so it's nice and smooth where it rides by your hip and never pinches me.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Never heard of such a thing, though it's possible. Got some examples? Maybe Blackhawk should caution/redesign.

If one isn't careful on the draw or holstering with any holster one can cause problems. Training, training and more training.

I had a client out the other day never drew from a holster of any type before. He had a nice leather holster for his S@W shield but it was the wrong holster. His theory was I well buy a to big holster that covers most of the gun and then there is no way any thing can hit the trigger by accident.

This caused him to fumble and miss draw and cover his reaction hand several times during practice ( it wasn't loaded). His technique was so bad that I wouldn't let him draw with live ammo. I let him draw my Glock out of my Serpa and he did just fine.

Wrong holster for the gun caused all kinds of problems for him. That combo was an unintentional discharge waiting to happen.

When he left He said he was going to look into the proper holster for is handgun.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Are the risks, then, of using a holster appropriate to its benefit? Perhaps that (your) training should be certified by the state prior to gun carry, holsters not mundane to the 2A RKABA? A minimalist holster - VersaCarry (my CCW favorite) - does not have such issues.

Don't see how the minimalist would stop some one from being careless or stupid.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I have two, one for my 1911, and one for my Taurus 24/7 9 mm. I just wish they had one for my PF-9. If your gun doesn't show "wear" marks then you are not carrying it enough. Let your gun "age" gracefully! If you want a pretty gun put it in a shadow box frame on the wall.

JustaShooter

If your gun doesn't show "wear" marks then you are not carrying it enough. Let your gun "age" gracefully! If you want a pretty gun put it in a shadow box frame on the wall.
Exactly! I don't buy firearms to hide them away in a safe or preserve them under glass in a display case - the only time my firearms are "pretty" is the first time I take a new one out of the factory box. After that they are stripped & cleaned, then taken to the range and used, and then brought home and cleaned again. Oh sure, I care for them and try not to scratch them up or abuse them in any way, but I also don't worry about it too much if I do manage to mar the finish or ding or scratch one. To me, firearms are tools, and tools are meant to be used, and they show signs of use and wear because of that.

Sorcice

The only way that finger tip+ serpa button problem is really an issue is if you don't draw safely in the first place. The holster is designed to let you draw indexed with the slide. You should be doing that with any holster anyway.

bebop4one

Update

I called Blackhawk! (site I ordered from) to get a status update on my order. I wanted to know how long it would take because my order status just says 'pending'. I spoke to the lady in customer service and she said that the holster wouldn't be in and ready to ship until November! I told her that the site said nothing about such a long wait while I was ordering and she said they were working on it. I was pretty unsatisfied with her tone and irritated that they would leave such an important detail out. I wouldn't recommend ordering from Blackhawk.

Last edited:

mdak06

One additional thought on the SERPA ...

I use mine, and it seems to work well enough. I know many people love it, and never have a problem with it. I may change to a Safariland in the future; that's a decision for another day.

But I would suggest that any design that asks you to push your trigger finger towards the gun (even though the finger should be flat) creates a higher probability of bad consequences for user error, IMO. And yes, that can be (mostly) prevented with good training and continued practice. But it seems that other designs, e.g. ones that use the thumb to manipulate the retention mechanism, are less likely to result in a negligent discharge vs. a design that uses the trigger finger to push on the holster towards the trigger.

FWIW, I also wanted to add a link to a thread I found full of complaints about SERPA holsters; if anyone is interested, the link is here: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?99676-SERPA-Issue-Compilation

moonie

I use a Serpa for open carry of both my 1911's, one full size and one compact. I love the holster and haven't had any issues with it. If someone is sticking their booger hook in the trigger guard when drawing it then it really isn't the fault of the holster, it is their own doing. I do get some holster wear on the slide but I'm fine with that as all my firearms are tools, not safe queens. If a mans pistols show no wear he is no threat to anyone. Beware the man with well worn guns for he knows how to use them.

Sorcice

But I would suggest that any design that asks you to push your trigger finger towards the gun (even though the finger should be flat) creates a higher probability of bad consequences for user error, IMO.

Again, the serpa is designed to index the slide. Not the trigger guard. If you some how end up on the guard that's you trying to do it subconsciously. I draw every time indexed to the slide.