• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BMWAG arrested AND jailed

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Danbus,

All I gotta say, bro.

Rosa%20Parks.jpg

dng

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I'm Puertorican, so I know there must be some black in my roots. Does that count?
Boricua! ...La tierra de Borinquen...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Bueno, no naci en Puerto Rico, perro vivien esa bella islapor siete anos cuando era un joven.

Edit: my spanish spelling abilities have slipped away over the years...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Yo tampoco :celebrate.

Sorry...Just had to do it. Lived in Spain at 1 time. I loved it. From Sweden originally.

There are scientists that say that we ALL originante from Africa.

Montanya

imported post

DreQo wrote:
So this is what incident number 4 for you? This might hurt your case in the long run. I could see how someone could say that you went out looking for trouble, and found it. I am not at all trying to justify the cops actions. They were wrong, again. Its just starting to look like you're going out and trying to cause problems. People are going to try and make the point that there was no reason for you to walk down the street and bug the cops.

Anyway I don't think you're doing anything wrong, and I'm sorry you're getting so much negative attention. I hope everything works out in the long run.
I don't think he went out "looking for trouble" as much as making sure the police as protecting and serving, not harassing people just because they are black. If they didn't feel safe with him there they should have told him to move along. I agree you should sue the hell outta them, with as much trouble as you get while carrying, I'm surprised you aren't able to retire by now :) Good luck.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

We are all from all parts of the world. Even the Native Americans came from somewhere else originally. The fact is that at this moment in time, some of us do get singled out for the color of our skin, or the twang in our accent (y'all know what I'm talkin' 'bout).

I agree with Dan that a major part of this is a racial issue, and I've told him several times that in order for this harassment to step he has to stop being black! He just won't listen. Maybe we're just going to have to come up with a better strategy 'cause he won't listen to me.

I do envy you DB. I admit I don't have the spark in me that drives me to confront the police when I know I'm right. Even though I OC, I find myself covering up in some situations and allowing cops to represent mistruths without a challenge. I have no desire to accrue the legal bills that are associated with proving a point. I a wrongful arrest situation there are damages than can be recovered, but being a father and suburbanite, I have lost that big mouth that got me through most of my college career. I hope you come through this one a winner because it will set a precedent for all of us. You are a patriot, weather you want to be or not.

Jersey Ron

imported post

okay, i've kept my "2 cents" to myslef until i heard the audio tape. the bottom line in my opinion is that danbus is NOT guilty of anything and the charges will get dismissed. however, and i know i'm going to get "hated on" for saying this, but if i were a cop "investigating" a suspect and someone appeared with a gun on his hip i may get a little anxious myself. now i know that cops are SUPPOSED to be trained professionals and blah, blah, blah but when it comes down to it, they're just like anyone else. they cry, they laugh, they bleed, they get scared andhave bad breath just like the rest of us! :D

now, danbus said the neighborhood wasn't the best place in the world nor was it iraq but all the rules of engagement are thrown out the window when a gun is involved EVEN if he wasn't making a threatening pose. for all the cop knew, danbus could have been a friend or relative of the so-called suspects and was looking for trouble. or he could have just caught his wife cheating and was looking to vent some steam! ithink someone said in an earlier post that the cop should have told him to "move along" but knowing what i THINK i know about danbus, he probably would have said "why should i move along" and then that would lead to another altercation. it's kinda like a pissing contest with no winners! this could turn into a vicious cycle of ocer's vs. big ego cops. we have to find a better way to educate the big ego cops. this is just my humble opinion.

Jersey

PS - danbus, get jacoby & meyers and they'll make sure you get compensated. and i do mean the actual jacoby & meyers!!:cool:

Virginiaplanter

imported post

After listening to the audio tape, it sounds as if Danbus was merely trying to acertain what was going on which is not only his right but his duty. Then the police saw his gun and decided that the issue at hand was not Dan's inquisitive natute, but the mere fact that Danbus had a legally carried firearm. They stretched that out into an obstruction of Justice charge when Danbus refused to comply with their unlawful commands. If police may engage in"consenual encounters" with out it being considered an illegal seizure then surely, a citizen as master of his servants can simply ask what is going on in their neighborhood without losing his right of free movement and his right to keep and bear arms.

"I have heard of an English chancellor who said, and it was nobly said, that it was his duty to protect the rights of the subject, against the encroachments of the crown; and that he would do it, at every hazard. But if it was his duty to protect a solitary individual against the rapacity of the sovereign, surely, it is equally mine, to protect one branch of the legislature, and, consequently, the whole community, against the usurpations of the other: and, whenever the proper occasion occurs, I shall feel the duty; and, fearlessly, perform it." - Judge George Wythe, Commonwealth v. Caton & al. 8 Va. 4 call 5 (1782).

"And, lastly, to vindicate these rights, when actually violated or attacked, the subjects of England are entitled, in the first place, to the regular administration and free course of justice in the courts and law; next to the right of petitioning the king and parliament for redress of grievances; and lastly to the right of having and using arms for self-preservation and defense. " Tucker, Blackstone’s Commentaries, Vol 2. Chapter 1. Of the Absolute Rights of Individuals, (1803).

bayboy42

imported post

Shucks....can't listedn to the audio:

The Site You Are Trying To Access Is Prohibited
[line]

Category of Blocked URL: "Personal Network Storage"
Monitoring of Your Internet Activity is Being Performed

xd.40

imported post

I personally wouldn't have approached the officers in the first place. Although I think they might have went a little too far. Word of advise, let them know that you feel you are being illegally detained, and that you don't agree with it, then be quiet. You aren't helping them while you egg them on. Just my opinion...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

xd.40 wrote:
I personally wouldn't have approached the officers in the first place. Although I think they might have went a little too far. Word of advise, let them know that you feel you are being illegally detained, and that you don't agree with it, then be quiet. You aren't helping them while you egg them on. Just my opinion...

I agree with you xd.40.

If Cops are on the scene, they are supposed to be competent to handle whatever they are doing. By going over there is just to put more fuel to the fire.

I don't feel that danbusneeded to have "provoked" the situation by going where they were and thus put himself in an ackward situation.

This kind of curiosity is what makes the Freeway dangerous when there is an accident on the side of the road and EVERYBODY slows down "too see what happened" although all lanes are wide open.

If it's none of your business...walk on.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
If Cops are on the scene, they are supposed to be competent to handle whatever they are doing. By going over there is just to put more fuel to the fire.

I don't feel that danbusneeded to have "provoked" the situation by going where they were and thus put himself in an ackward situation.

This kind of curiosity is what makes the Freeway dangerous when there is an accident on the side of the road and EVERYBODY slows down "too see what happened" although all lanes are wide open.

If it's none of your business...walk on.
I think you put way too much faith in LEOs. They're human, and make mistakes just like anybody else. As the saying goes: power corrupts.

I think keeping the police in check is as important as any other neighborhood watch activities.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

PT111 wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
PT111, I'm surprised that you think the RKBA extends to WMDs, but regular pistols don't extend to crime scenes. Amazing you think a crime scene is a good disarmed citizen zone.
My thoughts are during an actual police investigation if as third party interjects themselves into the investigation then the police have the right to threat that party as part of the incestigation. If you were investigating a mass shooting wouldb't you want to remove the gun from the suspect. This has nothing to do with walking up and down the streets with a weapon but rather when a crime may have occured.

In the thread about WMD I asked if 2A covered WMD but I don't think that WMD or guns are covered by 2A at a crime scene. If so then wouldn't they be allowed in jails which may be a good idea. Would cut down on over crowding.
So, mere presence at a crime scene meets the requirement for articulable facts that logically lead to reasonable suspicion? If the requirement is not met, the search/seizure is unconstitutional. As has been well established (and frequently repeated on this forum) the mere presence of a legally carried firearm is not grounds for harassment. I didn't see any exceptions in the Terry v Ohio ruling... maybe you could point that out for me.

As for your extension of the analogy to jails... that's just ludicrous. The similarity of a public sidewalk and a jail are very different for very obvious reasons. Of course, if you feel strongly about the assertion, I would love to entertain some explanation of how legally or philosophically these two are similar.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

OK Danbus.
I've listened to that tape several times now. I still haven't changed my mind that it showed poor judgment....But I also haven't changed my mind that what you did WAS NOT obstruction of justice.

I have to admit that I have judgment bouts once in a while. I was fined $100.00 for contempt of court once. That was different of course, I was guilty of contempt and damn proud of it:celebrate

From the sound of the officer, he was young. Also sounded a little unnerved when he found the recorder. You are going to have to face a Judge that is going to want to side with the officer though. Jails are full of innocent people.

DO YOU HAVE A LAWYER YET?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
If we want to play the race card, then consider this. There is far more racism practiced against whites by minorities in the US than the other way around.
On "Family Guy", maybe...
I wish, sir, you were correct however, unfortunately in the real world, you're not.

Ever hear of affirmative action. Set-asides?. Preferential treatment?. Quotas? Read today's reports of the goings on at the University of Delware (link provided below).

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58426

SouthernBoy

imported post

danbus wrote:
After reading everyone's posts, I'm happy to say that I'm glad everyone commented on the situation.

As far as "playing the race card", I'm simply saying that because I'm black, things like this happen to me more often than someone else.

Let me give you some background for those of you who don't know. The police were called on me when I was OCing in Wal-Mart. The investigation wasabout ME, yet they didn't disarm me. One afternoon, Shauncey and I walked outside the house to find 2 LEOs in the backyard "conducting an investigation" of drug dealing behind a house. I was OCing. They didn't disarm me. They just watched me carefully.

Furthermore, I didn't know that they were doing an investigation. I was told that they were talking to a kid. He could have been the victim, who knows. I found out that they were doing the investigation after I asked "what's going on?". Once they decided to disarm me, I asked if I was being detained or am I free to go. They acknowledged that I was being detained.

They felt unsafe that I was there, but didn't allow me to leave the area.

It was said that there are black members on the site. There hasn't been not ONE OCer that I have met here in VA. NOT ONE. Yes, there are black members, however they are in different states and whom I have not met. It is NOT a racial thing, but a biased thing.

Anyways, here the the recording. It's best that you listen to it more than once. I didn't capture the WHOLE encounter, just when I knew that I was being detained. At 10:00, there isn't much more as they put the recorder in the car.

sorry, i'm having trouble finding someone to host the recording
Hey there danbus. I'm happy to see that you understand I meant no malice or animosity towards you in my first post on this thread. I just have a problem with people who use their race, sex, or whatever as a crutch of to claim victimhood.

I haven't listened to your recording yet, but I most certainly shall.

Catch ya' later.

SouthernBoy

imported post

danbus wrote:
It was said that there are black members on the site. There hasn't been not ONE OCer that I have met here in VA. NOT ONE. Yes, there are black members, however they are in different states and whom I have not met. It is NOT a racial thing, but a biased thing.

PavePusher

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Shucks....can't listedn to the audio:

The Site You Are Trying To Access Is Prohibited
[line]

Category of Blocked URL: "Personal Network Storage"
Monitoring of Your Internet Activity is Being Performed
Heh, you're on a .mil or .gov computer too... 8 hour onshift left for me.