• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boy Scout functions are no gun zones?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Pointman wrote:
Is there something about a trained, tested, state-certified, law-abiding citizen I am unaware of?

And before someone goes off on me for mentioning anything about a permit and the 2nd Amendment in the same sentence, ask yourself how defensible their position is when all of these safeguards are already in place.

Ho ho! A fully-infringed citizen, 'trained, tested, certified and abetting!'

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

PavePusher

Bullbuster

imported post

As an Eagle Scout and past BSA summer camp commissioner its really does disturb me to hear all this. I remember many a camping trips that at least 1 adult had brought a firearm on the trip. Mostly for any late night visitors of the furry nature. But also it was fun to have .22 shooting matches amongst us scouts. It will be a sad day when the BSA closes all firearms activities.

possumboy

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
As an Eagle Scout and past BSA summer camp commissioner its really does disturb me to hear all this. I remember many a camping trips that at least 1 adult had brought a firearm on the trip. Mostly for any late night visitors of the furry nature. But also it was fun to have .22 shooting matches amongst us scouts. It will be a sad day when the BSA closes all firearms activities.
Yes, very sad. It brings up several considerations with starting my kids in Scouts.

Sa45auto

imported post

As a Current Scout Committee Member, let me say this.

National may have some regs in the books to cover their rear ends, but where the rubber meets the road, in the troops, districts and councils, the BSA is still very gun friendly.

Just thought you would like to know.

possumboy

imported post

Sa45auto wrote:

National may have some regs in the books to cover their rear ends, but where the rubber meets the road, in the troops, districts and councils, the BSA is still very gun friendly.

I really hope you are right.

Until I read this thread, I was waiting impatiently until my son was old enough.

I have even took my Eagle Scout patch, PIN, and my Honor Medal With Crossed Palms down from display.

Again, I really hope you are right.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

possumboy wrote:
Sa45auto wrote:

I really hope you are right.

Until I read this thread, I was waiting impatiently until my son was old enough.
+1

My oldest son turns 5 soon and enters kindergarten in the fall.

I have been looking forward to this and had been looking into getting involved in scouting; it was when I started looking to see if the scouter (leader) uniforms allowed for open carry that I realised that not only OC but CC is a no-no in the regs.

Pointman

imported post

Do people not want to enter their kids into Boy Scouts of America because BSA policy disallows parents to carry legally? Why not just enter the child anyway and continue to carry legally? If someone does ask you not to carry, you have the right to request a board meeting on it, don't you?

If you happen to know the parents of other children, and work with those parents on the safe use of firearms for non-boyscout activities, wouldn't you gain a ton of support? "Hey Bill, this is Bob. I'm taking Jimmy to shoot the .22 rife on a rifle course Sunday. Would you and your son like to come along? I have all the safety gear you'll need." What kid and their parent wouldn't love that?

Just because someone somewhere made a policy, that doesn't mean it's correct, or even reflects the values of what BSA stands for.

Sa45auto

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems that people don't want to enter their kids into Boy Scouts of America because BSA does not permit parents to carry legally. Why not just enter the child anyway and carry legally? Unless you are asked, in person, directly, to leave premises that BSA owns, you have the right to continue carrying. If someone does ask you not to carry, you have the right to request a board meeting on it, don't you?

Just because someone somewhere made a policy, that doesn't mean it's correct, or even reflects the values of what BSA stands for.
Excellent point. I carry a hand gun to all my Scout meetings. (Concealed) (And the chairman knows it)

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
Pointman wrote:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems that people don't want to enter their kids into Boy Scouts of America because BSA does not permit parents to carry legally. Why not just enter the child anyway and carry legally? Unless you are asked, in person, directly, to leave premises that BSA owns, you have the right to continue carrying. If someone does ask you not to carry, you have the right to request a board meeting on it, don't you?

Excellent point. I carry a hand gun to all my Scout meetings. (Concealed) (And the chairman knows it)

How is this different than refusing to shop at stores or malls who post an Anti gun
sign? This is what I struggle with in this case - hypocrisy - both my own and the scouts.

My own - if i refuse to patronize a store that bans my guns while supporting an organization that does exactly the same; and the scouts - for supporting firearms training but then making a rule against the actual carry of them.

Sa45auto

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
How is this different than refusing to shop at stores or malls who post an Anti gun
sign? This is what I struggle with in this case - hypocrisy - both my own and the scouts.

My own - if i refuse to patronize a store that bans my guns while supporting an organization that does exactly the same; and the scouts - for supporting firearms training but then making a rule against the actual carry of them.

If you want nothing to do with the Boy Scouts of America. Good that is your choice.

The real scouting is on the ground with the adult leaders working with the boys. Their contact with the rest of scouting is their Committee Chairman. What goes on in that troop is determined by those adult leaders.

If you want a good troop you volunteer and you make ita good troop. If you don't want to help boys become men then get out of the way of those of us who do.

I'm sorry if I come across a little strong, but working with the Boy Scouts is not about making a political statement or advancing rights, it is about helping boys grow into good men.

Where I live there is not a problem with the scoutsshooting guns and learning about guns. For us Scouting is a tool to make men from boys that includes gun knowledge and safety.

I love the boys I work with and when you have grown men come back to you or write you letters expressing gratitude for the profound change and growth that you have helped to influence in their lives you understand the greater good.