• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady Center to file in San Diego Federal Court

Gundude

Yes it is NOV 15th. I'll be there too. Are we going to sport our empty holsters? I'll leave that up to Ed as it's his case.

I choose not to do the empty holster thing. I wouldn't want to be a distraction, and I refuse to wear a tie.

Last edited:

Edward Peruta

Empty Holsters on November 15th

Let's be extremely professional and demonstrate to the court who we are on November 15th.

The better we look and act while in the public's eye, the more we will impress those who listen to those that advocate gun restrictions and attempt to portray us in a negative manner.

Think of law abiding people who carry firearms like those that ride Harley Davidson's, There was a time when the general public's perception considered everyone riding a Harley to be members of various outlaw motorcycle clubs.

I appreciate the support for the case being heard on November 15th and completely support the right to BEAR arms OPENLY OR CONCEALED in California regardless of jurisdictions.

I enjoy the right to carry OPENLY or CONCEALED in many of the states I travel through on a regular basis and only desire to exercise the same rights during the extended times that I maintain a "RESIDENCE" in San Diego County.

The only reason I don not carry openly and UNLOADED in California is the fear of being confronted tactically by members of California law enforcement agencies.

As a former member of law enforcement many years ago, (69,70,71), and the fact that I have many relatives and friends in or retired from law enforcement across the county, many of whom support and share my beliefs, I would have NO problem providing a member of law enforcement identification if they have a valid and legal right to do so.

I have NEVER been forced to my knees or a prone position by any member of Government and don't know how I would handle the situation if ordered to do so.

My biggest fear regarding OPENLY CARRYING an UNLOADED weapon is being approached by armed members of law enforcement in PLAIN CLOTHES WITH WEAPONS DRAWN and having to make a "SELF DEFENSE" decision on how close I allow them to get without having to make or take defensive decisions or actions. California law does not prohibit this type of scenario.

Having stated my fear, I will add that I do not believe that attending the November 15th hearing with empty holsters will accomplish the desired result.

I would like nothing more than to see every seat in the courtroom filled with people who want to witness first hand what may be said in the hearing.

Last edited:

chewy352

I choose not to do the empty holster thing. I wouldn't want to be a distraction, and I refuse to wear a tie.

I aint wearin a tie. Bad enough I have to wear one for an hour a day at work. I think you have a valid point that it could become a distraction but symbolically it would be awesome.

chewy352

I will add that I do not believe that attending the November 15th hearing with empty holsters will accomplish the desired result.

I would like nothing more than to see every seat in the courtroom filled with people who want to witness first hand what may be said in the hearing.

LOL thats all you had to say Ed. It's your case and I would support your wishes without question.

Robin47

Hi Ed, good going, one thing you might do, if you know some OC people are there during your
case, when you get a chance ( Your turn), you just might ask in the court "Out of curiosity".
"Are there any Opencarry people in the court room"? if there is please stad up !

Any more then 1 or 2 would be good ! Imagine 7 ! Robin47

Gundude

My opinion.
I think we should show up and conduct ourselves like the little angels that we are. If Ed wants us to dance in the isles, do a wave, or scream and holler, or anything else, let him call for it.

Edward Peruta

The hearing on November 15th

I know that there are many who are aware of the hearing on November 15th and don't want to get overly confident about what may or may not take place in the courtroom.

Everytime someone goes in a Courtroom it's a crap shoot.

What I would NOT want is for the Judge to feel pressured by a packed courtroom.

I know what has happened so far in this case, have read ALL the documents filed so far, and have a pretty good idea of what has been uncovered and has yet to be made public.

What I've learned in watching federal litigation for most of my adult life is NOTHING is guaranteed or cast in stone.

Both sides in this issue are writing everything possible to convince the court one way or the other

As one of the plaintiffs, I will obviously make every effort to be in the courtroom on November 15. What concerns me is the fact that the judge may read more into a crowded courtroom then we want.

I've been reminded that historically most federal court hearings like this have only one or two public spectators, (if that), in attendance.

Based on my observations of similar hearing, I'm confident that by the time the hearing takes place, most if not all of the motions and supporting documents will have been read and evaluated by the judge.

I only hope that everyone understands the mixed emotions I have regarding a packed courtroom and it's possible effect on the issues.

The choice to attend the hearing is one that each and every one of us must make.

Ed

cato

If you go you can best support Ed by wearing a jacket and tie and leaving the empty holsters in the car. Read the Nordyke hearing threads at CGN for a good idea about court demeanor to positively or at least not negatively effect Ed IF you go.

Personally I think it would be great for the court to see that this issue is important to a large group of the people, well dressed & respectful, and regret that I can't attend.

Last edited:

chewy352

If you go you can best support Ed by wearing a jacket and tie and leaving the empty holsters in the car. Read the Nordyke hearing threads at CGN for a good idea about court demeanor to positively or at least not negatively effect Ed IF you go.

Personally I think it would be great for the court to see that this issue is important to a large group of the people, well dressed & respectful, and regret that I can't attend.

Can you link the threads please. I don't even know how to navigate CGN or where they would be.