• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BREAKING NEWS: At Least 10 Dead, 20 Hurt in Aurora Colorado Shooting Spree

mobiushky

I had the same thought but this particular psychonutjob prepared himself with armor.

Somebody in the front row could have taken out his legs or at least distracted him.

For that matter. Why didn't anyone bother to rush the guy? Sure you'll get shot. But if I rush the guy and take a bullet in the process maybe I take him down long enough to get him out of the moment and someone else is man enough to come with me. Why are we such sheep?

DCKilla

Somebody in the front row could have taken out his legs or at least distracted him.

For that matter. Why didn't anyone bother to rush the guy? Sure you'll get shot. But if I rush the guy and take a bullet in the process maybe I take him down long enough to get him out of the moment and someone else is man enough to come with me. Why are we such sheep?
Human nature I guess. I asked my wife about rushing the murderer. You don't have to have a weapon to save lives.

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

This guy was heavily armed, Shotgun and a rifle on his back, from what i saw of the outside video on the news what looked like a Police riot shield they were flagging as evidence but i don't know if that was theres or his. What my huge question is, is he entered through an emergency exit is what there saying, you know the ones with fire alarms on them, One news place said someone let him in, did they know this was going to happen? are we looking for someone else helping the guy? or did he hear him knock on the exit and opened it for him? brings me back to why didn't the fire alarm on the door go off? Seems if that would have happened maybe more people would have got out, or maybe that did happen it just added to the confusion. regardless i really wish some legal sidearm Carrier was there to at least distract or slow the guy down so the kids could have got out. i would have gladly gave my life so that 3 month old could live. such a sad situation.

mwaterous

It's part of a greater issue I think; we're conditioned to think of only ourselves. In such a shroud it's very easy to forget you're part of a larger group. If one aisle had all come to this conclusion (that they could fight back, even in an unarmed state), people may have died in the process, but a rush on the shooter may also have been successful saving other lives. The shooter was probably suffering from the same dilemma; he thought he was alone, and untouchable. Such an action might have surprised him so greatly that he may have faltered, lost his aim, and been overtaken easily. More what ifs.

It's not about being a hero, it's about survival. We've gotten too used to water coming out of the tap, and food from the grocery store that we're losing the instinct.

I hope the people affected by this fight the right fight; give people the ability to defend themselves, and reassure them of their right to do so.

fadepoint89

Carry

This is exactly why I carry my gun on me 24/7. I wish I was there to try and help and end that idiots killing spree. I'm sure the political parties are going to blow this up with anti-gun crap and I know that this isn't the time to be talking politics. This IS a open carry forum though so while I agree with the OP's statements we still need to educate those who don't understand. This is going to make them hate guns even more. The fact of the matter is whether carrying is legal or not, this man still found the need to go and wipe out a theater regardless of the laws. Carrying should be legal EVERYWHERE!!!! It is our right. Imagine if at least one person was in that theater and was carrying. He could have made a difference.

The more I dwell the more I get pissed off.

LoneEchoWolf

I hope the people affected by this fight the right fight; give people the ability to defend themselves, and reassure them of their right to do so.

I'd like to see more theaters, churches, and campus's in Colorado come out and say that they are with us carrying into there establishments with all the recent shootings and all. or at very least back us in the ablity to.

kylemoul

from what i hear he is heavily armed (was). i dont think my 1911 could of done much but i would have tried for my safety and safety of others.

this is not some gang-banger with a stolen gun; seems laid out and planned somewhat.

and yes im sure someone will try to use this as a gun control issue which is pretty stupid. we all know it would do nothing.

Bellum_Intus

from what i hear he is heavily armed (was). i dont think my 1911 could of done much but i would have tried for my safety and safety of others.

this is not some gang-banger with a stolen gun; seems laid out and planned somewhat.

and yes im sure someone will try to use this as a gun control issue which is pretty stupid. we all know it would do nothing.

What it could have done is bought more time for innocents to escape.. Bullets flying at you have a tendancy to make you bolt.. I personally feel a trained carry could have distracted the shooter OR made the shooter stop completely..

Of course, all situations are different, none of us were there *unfortunately* and there are a few of us who really know what our reactions would have been in a situation like that.

Having served, in conflict, you indeed do sink to you higest level of training.. Would Joe CHP holder off the street that held a hunter safety card to obtain the CHP made any difference at all, likely not..

Who knows...

I am angry that someone could have done this to ANYONE, particularly children..
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and the victims..

--Rob

LoneEchoWolf

The more I dwell the more I get pissed off.

Me too. This is just sick, and hits home. i know many people in that area, and have been on the phone all day trying to make sure everyones ok. prayers are with everyone! And not doing the political thing right now, but i agree with you on the Educating which in my opinion is completely different, we will and do need to start educating the public that this guy is crazy and any one of us being a logical carrier would do anything we could to stop this. that this guy DOES NOT represent a normal gun owner in any way shape or form. that we are not all like that.

riverrat10k

NY Mayor Bloomberg already exploiting this to advance gun control.

Absolutely sickening.

From Karl Denninger's "Market Ticker" blog":

"New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a long-time advocate ofgun control, called on both candidates to address what they would do to help prevent such tragedies.

“No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them concretely, not just in generalities --specifically what are they going to do about guns?” Bloomberg said today on WOR Radio."

MORE

"Mayor Bloomberg can pontificate on whether Constitutional Carry should be prohibited and the Second Amendment amended, which is the only lawful means to alter it, if and when, and only if and when, he dismisses all of his own armed security and turns over his own firearms -- all of them.

Until then, Mayor, you're a jackbooted ******* politician trying to exploit the death of people at the hand of an obviously-deranged individual and need to shut the **** up."

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=208925

mwaterous

Round for round you would have been outgunned yes, but it was only one person. Military and civilian instructors constantly affirm that pistols are only useful for fighting your way to a rifle. In this case, you would have been fighting your way to his rifle. Game, set, match.

LoneEchoWolf

He was, they have him in custody and he told them that he set traps in his home, which he did, they found a explosive device in his home, thank god he left it home. this guy is sick and I'm so sorry to all the family's effected by this. This guy did plan this for months is what it seems by the gear he had acquired i wish he has someone who cared about him enough to notice something like that. remember stay safe out there guys, and more importantly keep the kids safe out there!

mwaterous

“No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them concretely, not just in generalities --specifically what are they going to do about guns?” Bloomberg said today on WOR Radio."

How about we get even more specific Mr Bloomberg? What are they going to do, for the first time in the history of this country, about illegal guns? We're sick and tired of their fumbles dealing with legal guns, and would like to hear what their policy is going to be on dealing with the actual real problem.

We need to hear a big bout of silence from the bleeding hearts... I think we need to go medieval again. If you lost your hand for theft, would you steal? Everybody has the right to due process... but if you're guilty, you shouldn't be sitting in a plush cell with better satellite than I have, eating better food than I do. My money pays for that. If your crime does not warrant simply removing you from the gene pool, you should be sitting in the corner of a small cement cell, and with any luck there may be some food left over. Treat the criminals like criminals, and it won't be such an appealing career.

Sorry, but our coddling of felons really angers me. :)

LoneEchoWolf

How about we get even more specific Mr Bloomberg? What are they going to do, for the first time in the history of this country, about illegal guns? We're sick and tired of their fumbles dealing with legal guns, and would like to hear what their policy is going to be on dealing with the actual real problem.

We need to hear a big bout of silence from the bleeding hearts... I think we need to go medieval again. If you lost your hand for theft, would you steal? Everybody has the right to due process... but if you're guilty, you shouldn't be sitting in a plush cell with better satellite than I have, eating better food than I do. My money pays for that. If your crime does not warrant simply removing you from the gene pool, you should be sitting in the corner of a small cement cell, and with any luck there may be some food left over. Treat the criminals like criminals, and it won't be such an appealing career.

Sorry, but our coddling of felons really angers me. :)

Hoorah! With you all the way

77zach

I wonder what pharmaceuticals, if any, this creature was taking. They almost always are on psychotropics. The media won't report heavily on that, they never do; don't want to upset one of their sugar daddies.

I also believe that swift and public executions of murderers would go a long ways to discouraging copy cats. And if not, who cares? People like this need to be put down, like a rabid dog.

Last edited:

mahkagari

Even if your rodeo hat doesn't cost as much as your dress hat, prayers are always welcome.

I'm going to echo the others on the "flight" side. There were some reports of a riot shield, he was at least wearing a visible helmet on top of being prepared with a gas mask. One glance and my thought would not have been to rely on a marksman super shot with my .357 against likely body armor. It would've been to get the kids and high tail it out of there. As I've oft heard, "Anything you can't solve with 6 shots, you can't solve with a handgun."

mwaterous

I'm going to echo the others on the "flight" side. There were some reports of a riot shield, he was at least wearing a visible helmet on top of being prepared with a gas mask. One glance and my thought would not have been to rely on a marksman super shot with my .357 against likely body armor. It would've been to get the kids and high tail it out of there. As I've oft heard, "Anything you can't solve with 6 shots, you can't solve with a handgun."

Defend yourself and your family first, every time... but do we know they were law enforcement or mil spec? What if he was wearing an airsoft rig? Might have been nice to pop off at least one shot to find out. He probably wouldn't have even seen where it came from. ;)

Zakaris

Just FYI, I just got of the phone with Hollywood Theaters in Colorado Springs (off I-25) and they are putting up No Firearms signs. Guess I'm done with theaters then.

Don't think some people/theaters are ever going to realise that signs don't stop violence, it just takes away any protection for law abiding citizens.

Last edited:

mahkagari

Defend yourself and your family first, every time... but do we know they were law enforcement or mil spec? What if he was wearing an airsoft rig? Might have been nice to pop off at least one shot to find out. He probably wouldn't have even seen where it came from. ;)

Maybe. Don't know unless I was there. Just thinking my reflex thought in the moment upon seeing his mask and the tear gas deployed would have been, "He ain't effing around". May have taken a shot on retreat if I had it to attempt neutralizing him, but I can't say for sure.