• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Budget panel approves concealed carry with permits, training required

Outdoorsman1

Forgot to add, unless there's a change, we'll still be doing the car dance for another 3 months after this passes.
Check out the last page of the amendment, where it explains when certain parts will take effect. Notice that vehicle carry is NOT one of the things mentioned as "the day after"?
We need to change that. It's just as necessary as the DC statute change, & just as easy to decree.

Thanks for the insite...

Another thought....If this new bill seems complicated and confusing to some of us, I wonder how long after it takes effect with LEO "get it right...(if ever)...???

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

You are confused. The LEO needs not get anything right. That's what the courts are for.

Yes.... BUT... with LEO not knowing or understanding the new Bill, THAT would increae our chances of ending up in court to let them make a ruling as to whatever mistake the LEO made to get us in court in the first place... kinda like the disorderly conduct thing in the early days.. or the Culvers thing in Madison....

New Bill = New Learning Curve by LEO....

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

SixDegrees

Is there actual verbage of the bill posted somewhere yet?

"Whenever carrying concealed weapons, people would have to have permits and photo IDs with them. If they did not, they could be fined $25, though the fee would be waived if they presented their permit and ID within 48 hours."

If thats the price I'm better off not getting a permit...if you catch my drift.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Is there actual verbage of the bill posted somewhere yet?

"Whenever carrying concealed weapons, people would have to have permits and photo IDs with them. If they did not, they could be fined $25, though the fee would be waived if they presented their permit and ID within 48 hours."

If thats the price I'm better off not getting a permit...if you catch my drift.

Other than if you don't present it in 48 hours the fine goes up to whatever it is for carrying concealed without a permit.

SixDegrees

Interceptor_Knight

I asked this question in another thread and others think that yes.. we will be able to OC in a vehicle without having to do the unload, case, uncase, load dance... and it was also stated that you will need the permit to be excempt from the GFSZ law.

I am looking for current actual text of the proposal, but I have seen no mention of addressing the current disparity of standards where OC in a car = CC unless you are a State licensed security guard. If nothing is changed from the current Statute, we can not assume that there is a green light.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I am looking for current actual text of the proposal, but I have seen no mention of addressing the current disparity of standards where OC in a car = CC unless you are a State licensed security guard. If nothing is changed from the current Statute, we can not assume that there is a green light.

As am I. The memo is fine and dandy but the only thing that matters is the actual legislation.

mliederbach

As for training, here's a course by the MD Department of Public Safety (http://www.mdgunsafety.com/) which appears to satisfy the requirement: "available to the public & is offered by a law enforcement agency" (see top of pg 6)
Free, online, takes maybe 30min, save & print a certificate to your computer.
If this bill passes as-is, let's do our best to publicize this link.

Thanks for the link. I just completed it and mailed off my cert to MD. It doesn't involve any user input. You just complete a registration form, watch a Flash video and print cert at end.

MKEgal

mliederbach said:
It doesn't involve any user input. You just complete a registration form, watch a Flash video and print cert at end.
And yet it fills the training requirements as currently listed in the bill. Pretty sad, huh?
So much for gov't-mandated training.

McX said:
the hard part now is learning the new dance. getting the permit to dance out of the way. so MKE i'm thinking 2 coolers of soda, and munch pack, cookies from you, major meal we go eat, or pizza in. my kid and i so far, maybe a chum or two. hope it's close. 10 hours. should i bring a nail file?
Unless they've changed something overnight (always a possibility) we won't need a permit to carry in the car, unless we're going through a school zone. (Which of course most people who live in a city do dozens of times a day, so the permit isn't optional.)

But what training/dinner are you referring to?
We've already had Utah, which should suffice (unless they change the bill again), there's MD available free & online (ditto), & I've had the NRA basic pistol + 2 other OOS permits.
Not that I'm at all against having a get-together, esp. if it involves pizza &/or guns.

BTW, I called Galloway's office to ask they put the changes to 167.31 in the part of the bill that will take effect immediately, rather than waiting 'til Oct. I'll contact my Sen & Rep too, but they're ignoring me.

Last edited:

phred

BTW, I called Galloway's office to ask they put the changes to 167.31 in the part of the bill that will take effect immediately, rather than waiting 'til Oct. I'll contact my Sen & Rep too, but they're ignoring me.

I called her office this morning and also questioned and suggested that too. The aide (Nick) said he would let her know and also get back to me on that.

apjonas

To be precise

If you are a Wisconsin resident, you must have a Wisconsin permit. There are no exceptions. For non-resident permit holders (who do not live in WI), there is a provision in the bill to treat them as WI permit holders for the purpose of GFSZ.

an out-of-state licensee (a non-WI resident who is licensed by a DOJ approved state) has the same exemption under state law as a WI (resident) licensee. It doesn't matter where the person actually lives (e.g. a military member, student, some others may live in WI 365 days a year but still be a non-resident). The purported ability to proclaim them licensed as required by the Federal GFSZ is meaningless poppycock. Remember - the State of Wisconsin isn't going to show up in federal court to defend you.