• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Building Three Or Four Bookshelves

Beretta92FSLady

I will look at some books. I can get the equipment, from a friend, for dovetailing. I am thinking hard about this, and will likely use real wood, instead of press-board. I have a rather large record collection, and your run-of-the-mill shelving just isn't cutting it (the weight). Also, we have a massive book collection--1000+--and, as with the records, weight.

Thanks for the responses. Hope the video didn't leave to much coffee on the screens.

()pen(arry

I will look at some books. I can get the equipment, from a friend, for dovetailing. I am thinking hard about this, and will likely use real wood, instead of press-board.

Have a look at The Essential Woodworker. It's a treatise on the basic skills of a hand woodworker, but the design and assembly information holds true for machine woodworking, as well. I recommend a dovetailed maple or white oak carcase with fixed shelves, at least for the records as they're all the same size, and a grooved-in hardwood ply (maple or beech) back. If you fit the dovetails with care and affix the shelves with dado housings, you'll have a strong carcase that will last the rest of your life.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The most important thing to consider when selecting wood for shelves is that it's well-seasoned, sometimes called "cured," as this guards against warping.

The second thing is design. Unless you're going for the shrunk look, it's better to go lighter, using box-bracing to prevent sagging. Depends on the weight of your books, though. Heavy college texts will require thicker shelves than dime novels.

As for selection of woods, the term "hard wood" and "soft wood" are misnomers, because some soft woods are harder than some hard woods. Pine is lightweight and inexpensive, even in the finer grades. I still have two pinewood speaker stands I made back in 1983 which are both in fantastic shape, despite having survived more than a dozen moves. No warping or sagging.

I dunno. Probably your best bet is to buy a book on shelf-building from Home Depot.