• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a Kimber

radwjw

imported post

BODY {font-family: Arial;font-size: 11pt;color: 323c50;margin-left: 25 px;margin-top: 25 px;background-position: top left;background-repeat: repeat;}Every 1911 petty much gives you what you pay for. No, a Kimber is not a Les Baer, but it costs more than half the price of a Les Baer. I'm not sure why you traded in your Les Baer for a Dan Wesson CBOB, it would seem a step down.
I agree that a Dan Wesson CBOB is a great gun. From what I've read they are well made, reliable, and excellent shooters.
It seems a lot of Kimber problems stem from not adequately following the break in period. I've had two prior Kimbers, and currently own two. In over 5,000 rounds (lost count: it could be 10,000+) I've never had a FTF or any other malfunction with any Kimbers, shooting every type of ammo, including "garbage".
Kimbers are beautiful guns, accurate, reliable, and my Kimbers have shot any ammo given them. People with whom I shoot similarly have no problems, including type II models. They cost a lot, but you get what you pay for: excellent fit and finish, accuracy, reliability, etc. Are they as good as Les Baer's or Wilson's? No, but they cost more than half as much.
Can you buy a $500 1911 that shoots reliable 1-1.5 inch groups at 30+ yards, shoots any kind of ammo fed it, has a butter smooth trigger pull with an accurate, reliably reproducible break point, excellent fit and finish, great ergonomics, great looks, and performs flawlessly after thousands of rounds? No, I don't think that you can. I've tried many other guns costing hundreds less, and their triggers are not as good, their fit and finish are lacking, and they are no where near as accurate over a wide range of ammo. Is it worth it? That's up to the individual to decide, but certainly Kimber's are worth their pricing when compared to less expensive guns and more expensive guns. They occupy that niche where you are beginning to get match grade feel to the triggers, match grade accuracy, etc. Kimber's are clearly a step above guns costing hundreds less, and clearly a step below those costing hundreds more. All you have to do is shoot one for an extended time, and then go back to the one you thought was "the same" to figure that out.
I am really sick of reading all these "urban legends" about Kimbers malfunctioning, or having "poor quality control" or whatever. Show me a double blind test of multiple manufactures that demonstrates Kimber doesn't have the quality control expected of a gun it's price, or data that indicates a high malfunction rate or FTF in a blind scientific test, and I'll be happy to accept that. But random stories of Kimbers having quality control problems or having failures do not mean anything scientifically. If you looked I'm sure you could find horror stories about every manufacturer. Simply stating "I know ____ who bought a Kimber and had all kinds of problems" means absoulutely zero. You could find a similar candidite for every manufacturer.
It seems Kimber always gets singled out for "costing too much" when nothing is ever said about Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc which cost twice as much or more. Why, I don't know. I do know that for the extra money Kimber costs over less costly guns is money that goes into excellent accuracy/trigger/reliability/etc and a beautifully fit and finish on the gun. Having shot a wide variety of 1911's I find it hard to believe that anyone would shoot a Kimber for any length of time, go back and shoot another brand costing hundreds less, and not have that person choose the Kimber in a second no questions asked.
It all comes down to personal choice, what one can afford, the personal feel of a pistol, prior history, etc. That is why there are so many manufactures to appeal to every taste. I just don't get putting any gun down; each one occupies a special place in someone's heart.

radwjw

wally1120

imported post

I am not saying anything bad to a owner of a 1911 My dad has one. I just don`t care for them. There is a bit to much weight on the gun, Litle bit time consuming to take apart,and only holds 7 Rounds of ammo, and far to expensive piece of metal. I love my XD. XD is at least half the prie of a bone stock of a 1911, Much less weight, Field strips in seconds, and holds 4 more rounds. DONT GET ME WRONG 1911 are nice guns for some people, I think they are nice looking guns when you have at least 1000 into the gun. I just dont want to own a 1911

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It all depends on your carry style and you personality. I spent a little money after buying my Kimber and got some Wilson Combat 47D mags. These are 8rd mags bringing my cap to 8+1. Imo the 1911 has a more aggressive profile than most other guns. The slim slide also gives the illusion that the muzzle is larger and thus more intimidating. The main adavetage is the the 1911 is meant to be carried "cocked and locked" in Condition 1. This give the advantage of being able to put rounds into the target extremely fast. I also enjoy the slim grip when compared to say my Glock 21.

You may agree or disagree with any or all of these statements but here is one that's hard to refute. It's called a 1911 for a reason. That design has been around for almost 100 years with only minor changes. It has been combat proven in 2 World Wars and many other conflicts in between. It is still in service today by certain military and police units.

Btw, as to weight a XD .45 weighs 30 oz empty. My Kimber Tactical Custom II weighs 31 oz empty. Since the XD carries more ammo than the 1911 it will weigh more full.

radwjw

imported post

Some individuals give the reason that 1911's "only" hold 7 or 8 rounds as a reason not to buy a 1911, citing high capacity guns such as Glocks and other guns with double stack magazines. IMO any gun used for personal defense will never need more than 3-5 rounds, and that itself will be a rare situation. Most 1911's shoot .45 acp ammo which, if you believe multiple statistical analysis's by multiple methodologies, has one of the highest stopping power for Homo Sapiens. Figures quoted range from 85-98% one stop shots if the right area is hit, andusually place the .45 roundsecond only to .357 magnums. In personal defense situations if more than 8 shots are needed I figure that I'm probably on the losing end anyway. I can see high capacity guns for certain applications such as military use and law enforcement where the "bad guy" may have any number of high capacity weapons and the tactical situation is totally different. However if someone is going to rob my home or attempt to rob/assault/harm me or my family then 8 .45 rounds thrown at them should suffice in any conceivable situation. Unless you have a madman attacking you with a full Kevlar suit and an AR-15 or similar assault weapon in which case you are going to lose no matter what pistol you have.
Don't get me wrong, the KM is a great gun and a great design. I just think that as you get older you will most likely open your mind to other designs like many people I know, including me. For the longest time all I would own is a Glock, thinking that 19 rounds was "better", and the 1911 design was "old fashioned". As I got older I learned to love 1911's as well as a whole host of other designs. I've settled on the 1911 because of it's slim design, condition one carry, balance & feel,the recent design of highly accurate down-sized 1911's such as the Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II which is my latest, weighing only 37 oz., the functional and aesthetic beauty of a timeless design, accuracy (my new Kimber regularly shoots sub-1.4 patterns at 30 yds. with a 4 in. bull barrel), reliability, and proven use over a 100 years. So give your dad's gun a couple of thousand rounds and see how you feel then. You might end up liking your KM and his 1911 the same for different reasons.
Kinda like when I was young all I liked was rock and roll, and now I appreciate country, classical, and jazz. Variety is the spice of life, be it pistols, music, wine, sex......
Not all 1911's are the same either, which is readily apparent in this forum. Another "branch of life" to explore.
radwjw

AbNo

imported post

You can buy two nice, reliable guns, or you can buy one Kimber Safe Queen (tm) model 3. ;)

See The Gospel of John, verse 3.
http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm

Seriously, Kimber makes great, high-precision guns, EXCELLENT for the range and target/competitive shooting, but the tight tolerances can lead them to be a little reliable.

The 1911 platform was designed with the loose tolerances so it would function EVERY time.

Remember kids: Don't trust your life to a safe queen.

radwjw

imported post

I disagree that "tight tolerance" guns are not appropriate for self defense. Agreed, I would NEVER carry a Kimber or any other "tight tolerance" gun in the early stages of it's life. It needs the 500 round break-in period and all the other break in requirements Kimber recommends. Then another 300 rounds finding the right defensive round that is most accurate, and learning to shoot the gun, like any anticipated self defense gun, like it's automatic, and a Kimber will have the same or better reliability rate of any gun made. That's my opinion and that of many police and other people who rely on Kimbers for their life.
Any accurate weapon has to broken in. By definition accuracy comes from tight tolerances, and break in periods are necessary for parts to mate correctly. Break in periods for USMC sniper rifles are 100 rounds minimum, 300-500 recommended. Does this mean that one shouldn't rely on a sniper rifle used by our military?
Additionally, IMO the MOST important quality of any self defense weapon is the ability to hit your target. Accuracy seems to be downplayed in many self defense forums. Personally I've never had any of my four Kimbers FTF or otherwise malfunction after break in with 5000+ rounds, I've lost count, more likely 10,000 rounds. I've had a total of 3-5 FTF with 4 Kimbers during the breakin period, or 3-5/2000 rounds. Not bad.

radwjw

AbNo

imported post

radwjw wrote:
I disagree that "tight tolerance" guns are not appropriate for self defense. Agreed, I would NEVER carry a Kimber or any other "tight tolerance" gun in the early stages of it's life.

.... a Kimber will have the same or better reliability rate of any gun made. That's my opinion and that of many police and other people who rely on Kimbers for their life.
Can someone find that 1911 torture test where they abused the hell out of them? The only one I can find is the one for the XD. :D

Any accurate weapon has to broken in. By definition accuracy comes from tight tolerances, and break in periods are necessary for parts to mate correctly. Break in periods for USMC sniper rifles are 100 rounds minimum, 300-500 recommended. Does this mean that one shouldn't rely on a sniper rifle used by our military?
Yes, actually. It's WAY too heavy and bulk to carry around all day. Plus, you might knock the scope out of alignment while out for a walk. :p

Additionally, IMO the MOST important quality of any self defense weapon is the ability to hit your target. Accuracy seems to be downplayed in many self defense forums.
It's downplayed because from 0-25, you're generally not concerned if you can get a 1" instead of a 1.15" group when SHTF. :shock:

Personally I've never had any of my four Kimbers FTF or otherwise malfunction after break in with 5000+ rounds, I've lost count, more likely 10,000 rounds. I've had a total of 3-5 FTF with 4 Kimbers during the breakin period, or 3-5/2000 rounds. Not bad.
:celebrate Have a banana!

Like I said elsewhere, I've never had a FTF with my RIA, except with some ammo I made that was not within tolerances, so the slide could not go all the way forward. :D