• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a Pistol

RenkaiWulf

i understand your feeling i ment mostly around the house and yard to get used to it :) gotta start somewhere
by the time some get together happens i should have ammo

Last edited:

TheQ

For 9mm I carry Hornady Critical Defense (About $1/round) 115 grain JHP with Polymer HallowPoint insert.

I also carry SPEER GoldDot 146 r. Hollow Point. (About $.50/round)

I alternate rounds in my magazine back and forth between these two. Every bullet has a weakness. It's my hope if one of these bullets (which I have researched and I am confident will perform well) encounters a weakness, the bullet that is right behind it (which is different) will not have the same weakness.

Do your own research, but I highly recommend these two rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6Re_Gwcwc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5aGOjyV6CU

Might want to consider the Gold Dot 124 9mm +P Also..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcwaMwB13Gg

I'm considering a switch from the 147 gr. GoldDot to the 124 gr. GoldDot. Anyone have any thoughts about this? I'm liking the 124 because:

1. More Torque (Energy).
2. Less Penetration. (13.5 versus 16.5)
3. Better expansion.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I run the Winchester PDX-1 rounds. They passed the FBI requirements remarkably well. I've shot them at and through various objects, collected the rounds and was very pleased. They are accurate, feed perfectly, and I've never had a failure to fire.

There is a specific bullet for every gun, some work, some don't Golden Sabers by Remmington are a good round for instance, but my gun doesnt really like them. Shop around, shoot them, and when you find something that works, stay with that. I recommend shooting your SD ammo from time to time to keep it fresh, and so you know exactly what to expect when you need to use them.

eastmeyers

The never ending caliber wars thing is my pet peeve............

There is no magic bullet size. Many folks have "he unloaded half a clip in the poor guys (read, street ghetto rats) face" with calibers much larger than the .22... and that often didn't stop the bad guy either.

There are much more important considerations when choosing a gun than just how big the bullet is.

Truth is... no matter what size the bullet is having a gun that shoots bullets is what is best.

This all may be true, but we all know .45acp or .357mag is really the only true way to go.

:banana:

SIGKzoo

If a SIG 9mm is good enough for the military, FBI, and even the secret service to protect our president, it's damn good enough for me! SIG P228 with Winchester PDX-1 is how I roll.

eastmeyers

If a SIG 9mm is good enough for the military, FBI, and even the secret service to protect our president, it's damn good enough for me! SIG P228 with Winchester PDX-1 is how I roll.

The military (for the most part) uses Beretta M9's (9mm) (for pistols).
The FBI is issued Glocks (.40s&w), but depending on your position and what you have qualified with you can carry many different, brands or calibers, including revolvers.
But hey you got the Secret Service part right, they do use Sigs (but they use .357sig, not 9mm), but thats just because they are such an out dated agency they haven't yet switched to DA only. But they will.

Glock is the most used brand of pistol for LE in the world.

.40s&w is the most commonly used caliber used by LE in the US. The Glock 22 is the most issued LE firearm in the US.

On the rise is the .357sig, .45gap, 10mm in some select areas, and .45acp is even making a come back in the LE world. The only round that is dieing, and dieing quickly is the 9mm. At least in the LE world. I think its safe to say the .38special and .357mag have pretty much already flat-lined in the LE world.

stainless1911

Banned
+1 on the PDX-1 rounds

scan0001.jpg