• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying my first handgun seeking advice.

WalkingWolf

And why are your mags on the same side as your pistol :banghead:

Sent from the back of a black van

Maybe he only has one hand, and the German police used to carry their spare mags that way, not sure if they still do. Basicly they would load like a southpaw. Grasp the hand over the top of the gun with weak hand eject mag with finger, then load fresh mag with strong hand. Much similar to reloading with a revolver. Unless a person is limited to using one hand, it takes two hands to load no matter which side the mags are on.

I saw a amputee shoot and reload, his system was slow, but it worked. He dumped the empty mag, re holstered and inserted a fresh mag. Drew, let the slide go forward and he was ready to go. He was using a 1911, so hopefully he never has jams.

I like to have my mags up front, either side. If one arm is injured I could still reload by putting my knee on the gun from cover, and shove a mag in. A person under fire should only reload from cover anyway.

[video=youtube;D6KKJTRRZ-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6KKJTRRZ-8[/video]

Last edited:

SPOProds

Never thought of a one handed person.

I agree i like mine in a 11:00 position. For same reasons you stated.

Sent from the back of a black van

Elm Creek Smith

You have made a good choice in a handgun for YOU. As far as your lady is concerned, let her pick out her own. Have her handle and shoot a number of them in different formats and calibers.

In my 20+ years in the Army I was a MAJOR M1911A1 fan and even tried out a Block (er..., Glock) during the '90's. My wife wouldn't shoot them, called them "guns that shoot back." Nothing I tried (and I spent several years as a small arms instructor) could change that. The ejecting brass was just too distracting for her to shoot with confidence.

Then, out of desperation, I loaded some .44 Specials in my 4 inch Smith & Wesson Model 629. No ejecting brass no problem. My wife has fairly large hands so she could handle the N-frame. Her carry gun those days is a 4 inch S&W Model 681 with Crimson Trace grips.

One more thing: If you are carrying the Ruger, she doesn't have a gun. Just saying.

ECS

PS: My primary carry...
taruzemy.jpg

Sent from my little slice of Heaven.

Last edited: