• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

C.P.L. Fund

hopnpop

imported post

DanM wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Looks like this isn't going to get off the ground.
Offer withdrawn.

You guys who want to organize and contribute toa CPL scholarship or loan fund, or a CPL instructor scholarship (for the return on investment of getting reduced cost or free instruction), should go forward with exploring your idea amongst yourselves.

While I want my MOC contributions to go specifically to MOC's stated goals (which are OC related, of course), I encourage the growth ofother groups and organizations with other missions and goals related to growing the exercise of the RKBA. I see the activities of a CPL scholarship/loan fund organization as being distinct from the activities of an OC promoting/defending organization, but the former is still a great idea and has merit as something to be explored as a separate organization.

Good food for thought

malignity

imported post

I don't like the idea of a CPL fund either.

I DO like the idea, however, of training a few people to be instructors, and giving MOC members a DISCOUNT. Not free. Everyone will become a member if we give out free CPL classes. Perhaps we can give more of a discount for people who have 200+ posts or something. (Even then, people can spam that up relatively easy.)

I'm also interested in becoming a CPL Instructor, and have already talked to a number of people that teach the CPL Instructor Course; as I was planning on doing this with my own money sometime down the road anyway.

hopnpop

imported post

Even if for no other reason than to satisfy my own curiousity, I should look into what it takes to get from here (CPL holder) to there (CPL instructor). I recently looked into getting an FFL - a little pricy for me and WAY big a hassle. Maybe sometime down the road but don't think so in the near future. I'd briefly considered whether or not you could make a living instructing and I just don't think there's enough clientelle. That's why I think the majority of instructors are either doing so to suppliment an existing income or they're retirees.

UCWT

imported post

Agreed that it should not take away from or ran by MOC 100%!

It really has merit for spreading the knowledge in a general public, one on one aspect.
I dare say a push to bring to light that maybe starts the downfall of the fact that by law John Q Public non-cpl can't protect ones self while driving in a car, at the market because it sells beer etc.
Because of the unjust law.

But on the same token I also see how it could just undo some of the things that MOC stands for.

With that being said and reading your posts I think I would rather see a lotto kinda thing to keep it simple as possible. It still would need donated time from someone that may be under fire from people that feel the money they put in is not being used for its intended propose or that it was fixed.

On the lotto thought. Raffle off tickets for a set amount for the people that attend events and show the effort for the cause of MOC after the whole amount is covered for the cpl class and state paper work pull a winner?

This way the if people who attend and buy tickets are cpl holders with a few bucks to donate they could give away theirs to someone they know that could use the cpl and non-cpl could win a chance.

But after proof reading through this again I will watch the topic and hope points made by me and others are considered but for fear of it becoming a monster that I wouldn't want the stress or wish it on to anyone else to endure.
I will not solicit the funds via hand outs and the lotto seemed as a nice dream to achieve my long awaited cpl but I'll just do what I can when I can for me to reach my goal.

Thanks for being cool with each other. it always is nice to have valid points to and from to ponder without any RAWR of nothing to do with the point
UCWT

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

Who told you guys that you have to be a LEO or attorney to conduct the legal portion? That is not what the MCL says.

28.425j Pistol training or safety program; conditions.

[align=left](
iv) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]This mentions nothing of LEO's. I am an NRA-certified instructor. The NRA is the organization that places the emphasis on a "post-certified" LEO to conduct this portion of training in one particular course. However, there is no POST certification in MI. In MI, it is MCOLES. So, according to this requirement established by the NRA, no MI LEO could teach chapter 3 of one particular course unless they held POST certification from another state. I have not met a single POST certified LEO in MI yet. So, that would leave only attorneys to teach the legal portion. [/align]
[align=left]Now, there is another NRA course that meets the MCL requirements for training and there is no mention from the NRA about a LEO teaching anything in that course. According to MCL, no LEO is needed. It simply says, "...an individual trained in the use of deadly force." It does not stipulate what that training must consist of. [/align]

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Keep in mind that there are some people on this forum that ARE CPL instructors and could work out a deal with forum members.

Also keep in mind that forum MEMBERS may or may not be MOC, Inc. MEMBERS. MOC, Inc. has about 60 payed members, while there are several hundred forum members.

MOC, Inc. can not control any aspect of the forum members and has little control over paying members. So discounts or free CPL courses would have to work out on who gets what discounts.

Forum members are free to do anything they want.

If MOC, Inc. should organize some deal with a CPL instructor for classes then discount may or may not be offered to the general public or only to payed members. This would be up to the Board. I could see both options at different times (some members only and some open to the public.).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
Who told you guys that you have to be a LEO or attorney to conduct the legal portion? That is not what the MCL says.

28.425j Pistol training or safety program; conditions.

[align=left](
iv) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]This mentions nothing of LEO's. I am an NRA-certified instructor. The NRA is the organization that places the emphasis on a "post-certified" LEO to conduct this portion of training in one particular course. However, there is no POST certification in MI. In MI, it is MCOLES. So, according to this requirement established by the NRA, no MI LEO could teach chapter 3 of one particular course unless they held POST certification from another state. I have not met a single POST certified LEO in MI yet. So, that would leave only attorneys to teach the legal portion. [/align]

[align=left]Now, there is another NRA course that meets the MCL requirements for training and there is no mention from the NRA about a LEO teaching anything in that course. According to MCL, no LEO is needed. It simply says, "...an individual trained in the use of deadly force." It does not stipulate what that training must consist of. [/align]
That is very true. I think some CPL instructors like having LEOs and attorneys on their "Faculty" because it helps sell the course and lends a sense of professionalism to their classes.