• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA - 911 call of man that shot and killed 2 people that were burglarizing the house next door

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
So Mr Horn took out 2 BGs suspected to be part of a large, ongoing crime ring including people who are very violent. I think that increases the liklihood that the BGs really did threaten Mr Horn and that the shooting was justified.
Regardless of the veracity of that statement, it doesn't really matter, as Mr. Horn did not know that these men were part of an organized crime ring when he shot them. It's also not a valid defense for shooting a person because some people in their group (let that be defined as it may) are violent. I could go into hypotheticals, but those would ultimately be counterproductive. Essentially, while these facts may prove the idea that "society is better off without" these two guys, it does not supplement or detract from Mr. Horn's decision to use deadly force because, at the time, he had no way of knowing these things.

imperialism2024No the earth is not about to open up and swallow us, but I do agree with you...as far as you go....

To me this answers one more question.

My current thoughts are as follows.

1. Joe Horn and others in his area were not happy that these types of things had been going on.

2. Joe Horn did the right thing when he called 911 and reported the burglary.

3. Joe Horn did the right thing to arm himself.

4. Joe Horn should have stayed in his home and reported the events that were happening from a safe vantage.

I think most of us would agree so far.

There are a lot of people who have a lot of big talk, when talk is cheep. I think most of Joe's talk BEFORE he went outside was just that big talk. I think he is a little man who wanted to feel BIG.

When Joe horn went outside, he didn't meet regular buglers. He met Columbian Nationals, possibly part of a violent ring that was involved in extensive illegal activities.

These guys ended up being shot in his yard facing him. This had always been troubling to me. This said that they had seen this old man with a shotgun and had still come toward him, as he said they did. What was their reason, it was not logical for them to do this. Bad guys see a man with a gun, and they run, that is how it is supposed to go, especially if they don't have guns.

To continue with how I see it now.

5. Joe Horn thought he would be a big man with his gun and they would run or give up and for all his talk, I don't think he really expected them to charge him, crowbars or not.

6. Joe Horn found himself facing not regular buglers, but desperate violent men who did the un-thinkable and charged the man with the gun.

7. At that point in time, I think he did what he had to do and shot, after placing himself in a position that he should not have.

8. We (the gun carrying private citizens) are not police, it is not our job to apprehend bad guys. We should be ready to defend ourselves or others who need defending, but we should tryand not needlessly place ourselves in a position that is truly dangerous.

9. Talking big on the phone was a stupid thing for Joe to do, and I still think it was a much shaken humbled Joe, who talked to 911 the second time. If they had gotrten to him, I think they would have killed him.

10. Protecting your home and life and the lives of others is good, but be careful what else you do if you are not a cop. I think that Joe Horn shot in self defense, but onlyafter he had put himself in a bad situation.

Whaddya think now?

(I wonder what happened to the crowbars?)

Dec. 8, 2007, 12:38AM
Pasadena police say Horn shot 2 men in the back
Both men were hit by shotgun blasts after entering Joe Horn's front yard

By CINDY HORSWELL and ROBERT STANTON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The twoburglary suspects killed by Pasadena homeowner Joe Horn were shot in the back after they ventured into his front yard, police disclosed Friday.

In another twist, investigators revealed that a plainclothes Pasadena detective witnessed the Nov. 14 shootings after he pulled up in an unmarked car seconds before Horn fired three shots from his 12-gauge shotgun.

The men, who had just burglarized Horn's neighbor's house, faced him from seven to 10 feet away when they ignored his order to "not move"or they would be dead, police said.

The controversial shootings have outraged minority activists but also brought an outpouring of support for Horn.

"We now have a summary documenting what we think happened," said Capt. A.H. "Bud" Corbett. "We will turn it over to the district attorney in a couple of weeks after we do an extensive review for quality control."

The district attorney will then present the case to a grand jury to determine if any charges should be filed against Horn, 61, a computer consultant, who has claimed self-defense.

The two men — Diego Ortiz, 30, and Hernando Riascos Torres, 48 — collapsed and died not far from Horn's home on Timberline in a Pasadena neighborhood.

Both were illegal immigrants from Colombia, authorities said. Torres had been deported to Colombia in 1999 after serving time for possession with intent to distribute cocaine. Both were also using fake identification cards and aliases, and their backgrounds are now being scrutinized by federal authorities to determine if they were part of a Colombian fake ID and burglary ring, authorities said.

On Friday, Corbett described the shooting scenario that had been pieced together so far.

According to a transcript of Horn's 911 call, at 2 p.m., he became concerned that his next- door neighbor's home was being burglarized after hearing some glass break.

The dispatcher repeatedly urges Horn to stay in his house but Horn states that he doesn't feel it's right to let the burglars get away.

"Well, here it goes, buddy," Horn tells the dispatcher. "You hear the shotgun clicking and I'm going."

The dispatcher replies: "Don't go outside."

Then the tape records Horn warning someone: "Move and you're dead!" Two quick shots can be heard, followed by a pause and then a third shot.

Corbett said the plainclothes detective, whose name has not been released, had parked in front of Horn's house in response to the 911 call. He saw the men between Horn's house and his neighbor's before they crossed into Horn's front yard.

Corbett believes neither Horn nor the men knew a police officer was present.

"It was over within seconds. The detective never had time to say anything before the shots were fired," Corbett said. "At first, the officer was assessing the situation. Then he was worried Horn might mistake him for the 'wheel man' (get-away driver). He ducked at one point."

When Horn confronted the suspects in his yard, he raised his shotgun to his shoulder, Corbett said. However the men ignored his order to freeze.

Corbett said one man ran toward Horn, but had angled away from him toward the street when he was shot in the back just before reaching the curb.

"The detective confirmed that this suspect was actually closer to Horn after he initiated his run than at the time when first confronted," said Corbett. "Horn said he felt in jeopardy."

Autopsy reportThe wounded man crossed the street, collapsed and died, authorities said. At the same time, the other man had turned and ran away from Horn.
Horn swung his shotgun around after shooting the first man and fired at the second one after he entered the neighbor's yard, investigators said.

He was hit in the back but continued running until collapsing a few hundred yards down the street, Corbett said.

According to a final ruling, Ortiz died of shotgun wounds to his neck and torso, said Ellie Wallace, an investigator at the Harris County Medical Examiner's Office.

The report said that Torres died of shotgun wounds to his torso and upper left extremity.

Wallace could not confirm whether the men were shot in the back, saying the autopsy report only indicated they were shot in the torso.

Neither suspect was armed, but one had a "center punch," a 6-inch pointed metal tool, in his pocket that might be used as a weapon, authorities said.

Also, they were carrying a sack filled with more than $2,000 in cash and assorted jewelry believed taken in the burglary, police said.

Self-defense claimInvestigators believe a third person may have driven the men from Houston to the Pasadena neighborhood. Police could find no vehicle belonging to the pair parked in the area.
On the 911 tape, Horn mentioned a new state law that allows residents to protect their own home from intruders.

"This case is a little different," Corbett said. "We'll have to let the grand jury sort this one out."

Horn's attorney, Charles T. Lambright, said his client fired in self-defense because he feared for his life.

"One of them (suspects) moved and Joe thought he was coming towards him," Lambright said. "They were in such close proximity (to Horn) that they could be on top of him in half a second."

The fact that a police officer witnessed the shooting but did not arrest Horn is further evidence that he acted in self-defense, he said.

"You've got a trained police officer sitting there watching this, and he doesn't arrest Horn," Lambright said. "If the (plainclothes) officer thought it was not a righteous shooting, maybe the Pasadena Police Department would have arrested Mr. Horn for murder."

Civil rights activist Quanell X said he would step up the call for a murder indictment against Horn, and questioned whether the Pasadena police should investigate the case.

Quanell X said the shooting should be handled instead by the Texas Rangers and the FBI.

"I don't trust the Pasadena Police Department," he said. "Why are they just now releasing the fact that an undercover officer witnessed the whole thing? This case stinks."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5362232.html#

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
So Mr Horn took out 2 BGs suspected to be part of a large, ongoing crime ring including people who are very violent. I think that increases the liklihood that the BGs really did threaten Mr Horn and that the shooting was justified.
*rebuttal*

imperialism2024
*analysis*
Whaddya think now?

*snip snarky aside*

Pasadena police say Horn shot 2 men in the back
Both men were hit by shotgun blasts after entering Joe Horn's front yard

The twoburglary suspects killed by Pasadena homeowner Joe Horn were shot in the back after they ventured into his front yard, police disclosed Friday.

*snip*

"...said Capt. A.H. "Bud" Corbett. "We will turn it over to the district attorney in a couple of weeks after we do an extensive review for quality control."

The district attorney will then present the case to a grand jury to determine if any charges should be filed against Horn, 61, a computer consultant, who has claimed self-defense.

*snip*

...said Ellie Wallace, an investigator at the Harris County Medical Examiner's Office.

The report said that Torres died of shotgun wounds to his torso and upper left extremity.

Wallace could not confirm whether the men were shot in the back, saying the autopsy report only indicated they were shot in the torso.

*snip*

"This case is a little different," Corbett said. "We'll have to let the grand jury sort this one out."

Quanell X said the shooting should be handled instead by the Texas Rangers and the FBI.

"I don't trust the Pasadena Police Department," he said. "Why are they just now releasing the fact that an undercover officer witnessed the whole thing? This case stinks."
The title of the article shows the bias of the newspaper. That brings the slant of the entire article into question to some degree.

Most of us arguing the probable self-defense side have qualified that with a "based on the current information" stipulation in some way. I hereby reassert my agreement with that position. If even the police department's conclusion is "We'll have to let the grand jury sort this one out, " when they have all the facts and the investigation files, this is obviously not a cut and dried issue. We do not know everything that is in those files and those who do can't make a definite decision either way.

Quanell X would not be peeping if this had been a black homeowner shooting 2 white punks. The reason the police department is just now releasing certain facts is that just now the investigation concluded. This is not a racial issue and only becomes one because race-baiters like him make it one.

Horn made a bad decision legally to go outside. Whether or not he actually feared for his life in those few seconds only he and his God know. These things happen so quickly, and there is so much tunnel vision and adrenaline that it is impossible to second guess them very well. That is why we say such things occur in the "fog of war". What makes perfect sense at the moment with fight or flight systems kicking off in a human being effecting both mind and body, does not always make sense in a calm review. A jury of his peers will be presented with all the information and make a decision as to whether or not charges should be brought. If he is charged, another jury of his peers will determine his legal guilt or innocence.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The title of the article shows the bias of the newspaper. That brings the slant of the entire article into question to some degree.
Well said.

The first false premise to a logical argument should bring the honesty of the argument into question and under a formalism may stop the argument from advancing further.

False premise ~'have you yet stopped beating your wife?'

imperialism2024

imported post

HankT wrote:
Whaddya think now?

I don't really think anyone's opinion is going to change due to this. Those who thought Joe Horn was wrong in the first place are still going to think he's wrong, and those who believed we was right for dispatching "worthless scum" will react one of three ways: 1) They will still somehow rationalize these details; 2) They will say, "well, it's legal in Texas (and Washington), so it's fine"; and/or 3) They will say "we still don't know every single last detail (what brand of crowbar did the burglars not have?), so surely we must assume that Mr. Horn is innocent."

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Whaddya think now?

I don't really think anyone's opinion is going to change due to this. Those who thought Joe Horn was wrong in the first place are still going to think he's wrong, and those who believed we was right for dispatching "worthless scum" will react one of three ways: 1) They will still somehow rationalize these details; 2) They will say, "well, it's legal in Texas (and Washington), so it's fine"; and/or 3) They will say "we still don't know every single last detail (what brand of crowbar did the burglars not have?), so surely we must assume that Mr. Horn is innocent."
Imperialism, I'm surprised by your posts sometimes. You seem far too intelligent to be seriously postulating that all those who believe that Horn's shooting was possibly to likely justified self-defense fall into one of those 3 categories. I want to assume that you are just being snarky.

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Whaddya think now?

Imperialism, I'm surprised by your posts sometimes. You seem far too intelligent to be seriously postulating that all those who believe that Horn's shooting was possibly to likely justified self-defense fall into one of those 3 categories. I want to assume that you are just being snarky.
Per #1, I never said rationalizing was a bad thing... But regardless, I just don't think that there could really be any astonishing revelations that will convince a person to change their opinion at this point.

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
Whaddya think now?

.....Both men were hit by shotgun blasts after entering Joe Horn's front yard

........Both were illegal immigrants from Colombia, authorities said. Torres had been deported to Colombia in 1999 after serving time for possession with intent to distribute cocaine. Both were also using fake identification cards and aliases, and their backgrounds are now being scrutinized by federal authorities to determine if they were part of a Colombian fake ID and burglary ring, authorities said...........
.......When Horn confronted the suspects in his yard, he raised his shotgun to his shoulder, Corbett said. However the men ignored his order to freeze
Corbett said one man ran toward Horn.........
.............."The detective confirmed that this suspect was actually closer to Horn after he initiated his run than at the time when first confronted," said Corbett. "Horn said he felt in jeopardy."

..........According to a final ruling, Ortiz died of shotgun wounds to his neck and torso, said Ellie Wallace, an investigator at the Harris County Medical Examiner's Office.

Neither suspect was armed, but one had a "center punch," a 6-inch pointed metal tool, in his pocket that might be used as a weapon, authorities said.

Also, they were carrying a sack filled with more than $2,000 in cash and assorted jewelry believed taken in the burglary, police said.............

..........The fact that a police officer witnessed the shooting but did not arrest Horn is further evidence that he acted in self-defense, he said.

"You've got a trained police officer sitting there watching this, and he doesn't arrest Horn," Lambright said. "If the (plainclothes) officer thought it was not a righteous shooting, maybe the Pasadena Police Department would have arrested Mr. Horn for murder."..........

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5362232.html#

2 Timothy 2:23

Tarzan

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.click2houston.com/news/14813727/detail.html

PASADENA, Texas -- An anonymous death threat was made against the Harris County District Attorney's Office and police said it was connected to a case of a homeowner accused of killing two burglary suspects at his neighbor's house, KPRC Local 2 reported Monday.Officials said the caller threatened to kill Joe Horn, the homeowner, if the district attorney does not charge him with a crime.Pasadena police said Joe Horn shot Hernando Torres and Diego Ortiz as they ran away from a home they broke into in the 7400 block of Timberline in the Village Grove East subdivision on Nov. 14.
The caller left a voice mail at the district attorney's public integrity division. The recording lasted for several minutes. The caller did not leave his name."What you better do -- you better indict Joe Horn and you better find him guilty," the caller said. "If you don't, somebody's going to kill him. They're waiting on him in prison and we're waiting on him on the outside. Let me tell you something -- we're going to kill that (expletive). Bye."Pasadena Capt. Bud Corbett said the caller left the threatening voice mail on Monday.The district attorney's office has not yet received Horn's case from Pasadena police to determine if charges will be filed. Police are still reviewing the case."Obviously, there's a rather dramatic public debate on it and it is a rather monumental case, and it's always important to do a quality control review. But, it's probably more the pressing issue in a case of this magnitude," Corbett said.A supporter of Horn's has created the site, joehornformyneighbor.com. The site urges people to leave supportive comments if they believe Horn was justified in shooting the men.An autopsy revealed that the men were shot in the back. Investigators said a plainclothes officer witnessed the shootings and saw the two men crossing Horn's yard. One ran away while the other angled toward Horn and then ran away, the officer said.Torres and Ortiz were in the United States illegally, detectives said.Horn told police he shot the men in self-defense.Police are expected to turn over evidence from their investigation to the district attorney's office in about a week. A grand jury will decide if Horn will face any criminal charges.Community activist Quanell X and Torres' fiancée have said they want Horn to face murder charges.Horn's attorney said his client, who is retired, does not have money needed to support his defense if he is charged. There is a link on joehornformyneighbor.com for supporters to donate money if it is needed.Horn's attorney took the case free of charge.Horn has not been living at his Pasadena home because of all the controversy surrounding the case.
Previous Stories:

tarzan1888

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.click2houston.com/news/14813727/detail.html

PASADENA, Texas -- An anonymous death threat was made against the Harris County District Attorney's Office and police said it was connected to a case of a homeowner accused of killing two burglary suspects at his neighbor's house, KPRC Local 2 reported Monday.Officials said the caller threatened to kill Joe Horn, the homeowner, if the district attorney does not charge him with a crime.Pasadena police said Joe Horn shot Hernando Torres and Diego Ortiz as they ran away from a home they broke into in the 7400 block of Timberline in the Village Grove East subdivision on Nov. 14.
The caller left a voice mail at the district attorney's public integrity division. The recording lasted for several minutes. The caller did not leave his name."What you better do -- you better indict Joe Horn and you better find him guilty," the caller said. "If you don't, somebody's going to kill him. They're waiting on him in prison and we're waiting on him on the outside. Let me tell you something -- we're going to kill that (expletive). Bye."Pasadena Capt. Bud Corbett said the caller left the threatening voice mail on Monday.The district attorney's office has not yet received Horn's case from Pasadena police to determine if charges will be filed. Police are still reviewing the case."Obviously, there's a rather dramatic public debate on it and it is a rather monumental case, and it's always important to do a quality control review. But, it's probably more the pressing issue in a case of this magnitude," Corbett said.A supporter of Horn's has created the site, joehornformyneighbor.com. The site urges people to leave supportive comments if they believe Horn was justified in shooting the men.An autopsy revealed that the men were shot in the back. Investigators said a plainclothes officer witnessed the shootings and saw the two men crossing Horn's yard. One ran away while the other angled toward Horn and then ran away, the officer said.Torres and Ortiz were in the United States illegally, detectives said.Horn told police he shot the men in self-defense.Police are expected to turn over evidence from their investigation to the district attorney's office in about a week. A grand jury will decide if Horn will face any criminal charges.Community activist Quanell X and Torres' fiancée have said they want Horn to face murder charges.Horn's attorney said his client, who is retired, does not have money needed to support his defense if he is charged. There is a link on joehornformyneighbor.com for supporters to donate money if it is needed.Horn's attorney took the case free of charge.Horn has not been living at his Pasadena home because of all the controversy surrounding the case.
Previous Stories:

I don't know if Joe is guilty of a crime or not. None of us know all the facts, BUT there are some things we do know.

1. The guys he shot were some really bad guys

2. They were tied into some more really bad guys, who take money from people for a living.

3. The last thing they want is for people to think it is OK to shoot people who are breaking into houses and taking money and valuables.

4. They want to scare you, me and Joe Horn into thinking twice before any of us use a gun to protect our property or any other persons property.

In my case they have made an error in their assessment, how about yours.

Tarzan

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Whether he shot them in the back or not, he was still justified under Texas law, stating that it is legal to use lethal force to prevent the theft of your neighbor's property. Plus, they were trespassing in his yard, he had every right to shoot them, especially since he already knew they had ill intent.

my .02

hamourkiller

imported post

Interesting new developement.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5515904.html

RICHMOND — A woman sentenced to prison in a Sugar Land home robbery told a court an accomplice in the crime was one of the men killed by Joe Horn after they burglarized his neighbor's Pasadena house, prosecutors said.

Rafaela Davila, 42, made the claim during a punishment hearing Monday in the court of state District Judge Cliff Vacek, said Fort Bend County assistant district attorney Mike Hartman.

Hartman said police have not been able to verify Davila's assertion but have contacted prosecutors in Harris County to determine if it is true.

"They (Harris County officials) were definitely interested in this," Hartman said Tuesday. "They were going to pull up their records and see if they could corroborate this and make a connection."

Similarities in cases
Hartman said there were enough similarities between the 2006 Sugar Land case and the fatal shooting incident last year in Pasadena to warrant further investigation.

In both cases, the homes targeted by the suspects were owned by people of Asian descent. And, in both cases, the suspects were Colombian, Hartman said.

Davila pleaded guilty Nov. 13 to a charge of aggravated robbery in connection with a Sugar Land home invasion that happened on the evening of June 12. She was given a 40-year prison term.

Hartman said Davila rang the doorbell of a home in the Sugar Lakes subdivision. When the woman who lived there answered, Davila mumbled something and the woman opened the door.

Three men, who apparently had been hiding nearby, rushed into the house, Hartman said.

One of the men put a gun to the victim's head. The woman was tied up and left on a bed while the men ransacked the home, taking about $100,000 in jewelry and other valuables.

Arrested on a tip
Hartman said a tip led to Davila's arrest.

When police showed the victim a spread of photographs of suspects, the woman picked out Davila.

Davila never divulged the full name of her accomplices, telling police she knew them only by nicknames like Javier or Cholo.

In Monday's punishment hearing, Davila took the stand and was questioned about the names of her accomplices in the Sugar Land case.

"He was burglarizing a house. The next-door neighbor seen him when they were breaking in a window and he called 911. That is what I seen on the news," Davila said in court about one of the other suspects.

Hartman then asked Davila if the shooting was the one involving Joe Horn that has garnered so much publicity.

"He shot both of them and I knew one of them. I didn't know the other one," Davila said in court.

Hartman said he believes Davila was talking about Diego Ortiz, one of the men killed in the Nov. 14 shooting that has drawn international attention.

Under investigation
Ortiz, 30, and Hernando Riascos Torres, 38, were shot by Horn, 61, after the pair left a neighbor's house that they had just burglarized.

The shooting case has been turned over to the Harris County District Attorney's Office, where it will be reviewed by a grand jury. Horn has not been charged.

SickTag

imported post

I think he is screwed too because the means to stop the crime cannot out weigh the crime itself. A gun once woke to the sound of glass breaking walked to the balcony and someone was stealing his car and he shot and killed the man. He was found guilty of 2nd degree murder

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SickTag wrote:
I think he is screwed too because the means to stop the crime cannot out weigh the crime itself. A gun once woke to the sound of glass breaking walked to the balcony and someone was stealing his car and he shot and killed the man. He was found guilty of 2nd degree murder
That depends on the state. It varies greatly from state to state.

imperialism2024

imported post

Hmm.... "But! But! Before you send me to jail for 40 years, there was someone else! Yeah, that's it! A dead guy in a high profile case did it too! Yup! So don't send me to prison for so long, right? Eh? Eh?"

:uhoh: