• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California DO NOT PATRONIZE list

The Nomadd

imported post

Okay, don't remember if it was here, or over on Calguns, but I saw a link that went to a gun group website in Arizona, where they had 2 colums of businesses list: one for those that favoured open and/or CCW, and the ones who did not. in some cases, there were even notes listed as to particular instances of what was said by a particular manager at that particular business. The website even asked that a business' corporate policy for or against firearms be confirmed before they get submitted to be posted. Be kinda nice if we could actually do something like that here. And if someone knows the link I speak of, please refresh my memory.

::Update:: Found it!! It was on Calguns, on a thread titled" Claim Jumpers does not support 2A". the link is: http://www.asrpa.com. When you're there, click on the link to the left that says CCW Cafe. And I may stand corrected, it may only apply to CCW. I can't check right now, since I'm at Panera's, and they have this stupid Sonicwall filtering software that's not allowing me to go to the site*

*Another site for me to email Sonicwall about. They use to block access to Calguns and Opencarry.org, until I emailed them and complained that they they were blocking educational sites that dealt with constitutional issues. They promptly removed them from the blocked list.:D

coolusername2007

Looks like Rubio's needs to go on the DO NOT PATRONIZE list. Listen to Dave Champion's June 23rd radio archive. http://www.davechampionshow.com/archives/?cat=1

And I really liked their Mesquite Shrimp Burritos! And I took many, many out of state business clients to Rubio's. So they are losing a lot more than just my individual business. They have lost me, my family, and my clients.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Looks like Rubio's needs to go on the DO NOT PATRONIZE list. Listen to Dave Champion's June 23rd radio archive. http://www.davechampionshow.com/archives/?cat=1

And I really liked their Mesquite Shrimp Burritos! And I took many, many out of state business clients to Rubio's. So they are losing a lot more than just my individual business. They have lost me, my family, and my clients.

I wasn't able to listen to the show, but was there some indication that it was corporate policy, to ban the open carrying of guns, or just one incident?
I have carried in the Mission Valley store in San Diego without objection.

coolusername2007

If I remember correctly, Dave was discussing an incident at an AZ location. But that it was a corporate policy in AZ as it is in CA. I'll go back and listen to it again to get some of my facts straight.

ETA: Rubio's advertises on this forum's top banner! Imagine that!

coolusername2007

At the 33 minute mark Dave talks about a friend of his who had heard about Rubio's no gun policy. This guy, Mr. Carpenter wrote a letter to Rubios. He received a response letter from a Mark Simon (COO) who stated in the letter that Ralph Rubio reviewed the letter and discussed it among themselves. "Rubio's Restaurants, Inc. has decided to...not to allow firearms in AZ restaurants." All of this in an effort to maintain consistency among their entire restaurant chain and to ensure team members and guests "feel" safe in their restaurants.

If Rubio's doesn't allow them in AZ where consitutional carry is the law of the land starting July 29th, then I won't patronize them here in CA or anywhere for that matter. Rubio's is now a VDZ, victim disarmament zone, eat there at your own risk. All patriots everywhere should avoid this anti-liberty, anti-civil rights establishment.

ETA: Here is the link to a youtube video of this radio segment. It is condensed somewhat as Dave spoke about this for well over 10 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wJIIQhpBVU

Last edited:

wewd

Funny, I have UOC'd at the Rubio's in Redlands many times. We usually head there for fish tacos after our Market Night meets. The managers and employees have seen our guns and never said anything negative to us or asked us to leave. But if their corporate policy is in fact to not allow guns at their stores, then I will simply take my business elsewhere in the future. I much prefer Rubio's food to, say, Baja Fresh (their main competitor), but if Baja Fresh is at least neutral on the issue, I will eat there instead whenever I am in the mood for that type of food.

coolusername2007

Its not surprising that a corporation creates policy on the corporate level but forgets to communicate that decision down the chain, its quite common actually.

Just look at California Pizza Kitchen, some unnamed source in an article said they banned guns in their restaurants. I have yet to see any formal communications from them on this issue and I contacted them asking them to produce such documentation.

Has anyone seen company wide door signs on any anti-2A establishment? Not on CPK, not on PEET'S, and not on Rubio's.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
Rubio's in AZ

The corporate policy for AZ locations is a moot point. AZ law prohibits open carry in businesses that sell alcohol for on-site consumption.

(Yes, the great state of Arizona has some laws even CA hasn't put on the books.)

JJ

No Guns at Toy's-R-Us

Response (Richard Latner) - 09/10/2010 02:11 PM
Dear Mr. McDonald,

I have included a copy of the Corporate Policy Regarding Firearms in Stores:

General Company Policy on Firearms

• At Toys“R”Us, Inc., the safety and security of our customers and our employees is, and always has been, our highest priority.

• As a retailer that welcomes millions of kids and families into our stores across the country each year, we take our responsibility to create only the safest shopping environment very seriously.

• While we respect citizens’ rights to carry firearms in public areas according to certain state laws, our company policy prohibits customers from doing so in any of our stores out of an abundance of caution for the safety and protection of the children and families shopping with us.

• We make our customers aware of this policy by posting signs at the front of each of our Toys“R”Us and Babies“R”Us stores nationwide.

• It is also our policy not to sell any toy gun that could be mistaken for a real gun. Toys“R”Us was the first retailer in the U.S. to adopt this policy, which was established in 1994.

I hope this answers your questions for you and you continue to shop with Toys "R" Us. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Rich Latner
Corporate Guest Relations

Reply from Mr. McDonald:

"Mr. Latner,

There are several flaws in the reasoning behind this policy.

Perhaps you recall hearing about the Trolley Square shooting in Salt Lake City Utah.

Trolley Square was, and still is a posted "gun free zone" This failed to stop the shooter.

Perhaps you recall the Columbine shooting.

Per federal law, schools are gun free zones, this once again failed to stop the shooters.

What your corporation is creating is a "victim disarmament zone"

I refuse to shop anywhere that so ignorantly creates such a zone.

I have and will continue posting this information in various locations, and am calling for a nationwide boycott of Toys 'R' Us and Babies 'R' Us stores.

Here are links to the discussions I have posted on various gun related forums. As you will soon see, there is support for this boycott.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=92947

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...s-R-Us-Boycott.

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/vi...hp?f=12&t=9505

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=543355

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/rkba-ne...s-boycott.html

You can rest assured that more forums will be notified of your policy and the boycott. These are merely the posts I have had time to post since the incident yesterday evening.

In this economy, it appears to be a horrible idea to alienate ANY customers at all.

Blockbuster is a fine example of the backlash such signs create.

I sincerely hope this matter can be resolved.

Sincerely, xxxx

Full thread can be found here> http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80532-Toys-R-Us-Boycott.

KS_to_CA

I wonder how they would react if you send them a letter saying exactly that. Hhhmmm. Wonder if they would respond at all. At least they would know it is not appreciated.

Last edited:

coolusername2007

I wonder how they would react if you send them a letter saying exactly that. Hhhmmm. Wonder if they would respond at all. At least they would know it is not appreciated.

I had planned to write them a letter. I don't recall if I ever did, I don't think so. I think life got in the way. Thanks for the reminder, I do need to get it done. And me and my family have been true to the boycott since I posted, nor have I taken any clients there. I hate to say it, but I am really missing those shrimp burritos!

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Speaking of letters, I just wrote my second letter to California Pizza Kitchen, as they've not yet responded to the first one I wrote them two months ago.

Please feel free to use it as a template for writing to any establishment. If you haven't served in the military yourself, simply mention a friend or family member who has. Even a generic "our men and women who serve" will suffice.

Feel free to modify it to suit your own take on the issue. Happy writing!

A few months ago, I read an article which mentions you've taken a stand against our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.(http://netnemesis.org/misc/UK Marie Claire July 2010 - Girls With Guns by Andreina Cordani.pdf)

I checked around, including calling two outlets, and discovered it's true.

I served in the U.S. military for 20 years. I, the President, members of Congress, and federal judges swore the same oath: To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic. Throughout my twenty years of service, four of my friends died in the line of duty, protecting our Constitution and the rights it confers to all of us.

I would like to know, directly from you, why California Pizza Kitchen chooses to disrepect the service and sacrifices of our soldiers, seamen, marines, and airmen, particularly when 1980 and 1990 restrictions on our Second Amendment rights lead to the sharpest increase crime our country has ever seen, while relaxations on those restricting and the subsequent increase in the exercise of our Second Amendment rights beginning in the 1990s lead to the most significant reduction in violent crime our country has ever seen.

Are you simply unaware of the facts surrounding the crime deterrence enjoyed by localities which encourage honest, law-abiding citizens to exercise their Second Amendment rights? For example, El Paso County, Colorado has one of the highest concealed and open carry percentages of any county in the country, yet it was just voted the 14th safest city in the nation. Coincidence?

Hardly.

I mean, really! Who would you rather have carrying firearms in your store? Honest, law-abiding citizens who're well-trained in their use? Or violent thugs who would love to rob your store, possibly resulting in the injury or death of one of your employees?

If you have even an ounce of rationality, you'll favor the honest, law-abiding citizen. The only thing we ask in return for the privalage of frequenting your establishment is that you respect the hard-earned Constitutional rights and freedoms for which so many of have fought, and for which all to many have died.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

CenTex

Speaking of letters, I just wrote my second letter to California Pizza Kitchen, as they've not yet responded to the first one I wrote them two months ago.

Please feel free to use it as a template for writing to any establishment. If you haven't served in the military yourself, simply mention a friend or family member who has. Even a generic "our men and women who serve" will suffice.

Feel free to modify it to suit your own take on the issue. Happy writing!

A few months ago, I read an article which mentions you've taken a stand against our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.(http://netnemesis.org/misc/UK%20Marie%20Claire%20July%202010%20-%20Girls%20With%20Guns%20by%20Andreina%20Cordani.pdf)

I checked around, including calling two outlets, and discovered it is true.

I served in the U.S. military for 20 years. I, the President, members of Congress, and federal judges swore the same oath: To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic. Throughout my twenty years of service, four of my friends died in the line of duty protecting our Constitution and the rights it confers to all of us.

I would like to know, directly from you, why California Pizza Kitchen chooses to disrespect the service and sacrifices of our soldiers, seamen, marines, and airmen, particularly when the 1980 and 1990 restrictions on our Second Amendment rights led to the sharpest increase of crime our country has ever seen, while relaxations on those restrictions and the subsequent increase in the exercise of our Second Amendment rights beginning in the 1990s led to the most significant reduction in violent crime our country has ever seen.

Are you simply unaware of the facts surrounding the crime deterrence enjoyed by localities which encourage honest, law-abiding citizens to exercise their Second Amendment rights? For example, El Paso County, Colorado, has one of the highest concealed and open carry percentages of any county in the country, yet it was just voted the 14th safest city in the nation. Coincidence? Hardly.

I mean, really! Who would you rather have carrying firearms in your store? Honest, law-abiding citizens who are well trained in their use, or violent thugs who would love to rob your store, possibly resulting in the injury or death of one of your employees?

If you have even an ounce of rationality, you will favor the honest, law-abiding citizen. The only thing we ask in return for the privilege of frequenting your establishment is that you respect the hard-earned, Constitutional rights and freedoms for which so many of us have fought, and for which all too many have died.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Do you think it serves our cause when you insult by inference that someone may be irrational if they disagree with us?

It is bad form to use contractions in formal letters. ex. it's should be it is.

Make sure that your spelling and sentence punctuation is topnotch when you write an appeal to a corporate head or manager of a business.

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

I thought it read pretty well. There was definitely some aggressive terminology based on one's stance on the issue that could be portrayed in a more professional manner, but its good nonetheless. The only thing that popped out to me was this sentence:

Honest, law-abiding citizens who are well trained in their use, or violent thugs who would love to rob your store, possibly resulting in the injury or death of one of your employees?

that should end with "employees or patrons."

CenTex

I thought it read pretty well. There was definitely some aggressive terminology based on one's stance on the issue that could be portrayed in a more professional manner, but it's good nonetheless. The only thing that popped out to me was this sentence:

that should end with "employees or patrons."

I agree, especially when that is generally the rationale that the managers or corporate heads use.

Sorry about the apostrophe in "its," but I couldn't help myself.

Last edited: