• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a cop really do this?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, I did read that in his post of Yesterday, 06:24 AM, Post #35. Yet Grapeshot reiterates Forum Rule (8) again today, at 02:38 AM, in Post #37, after this thread was moved to The Social Lounge.

Was simply clarifying why the thread was moved in response to Logan5's post which seemed to lightly argue for leaving it where it was.

There is no requirement that an explanation be given for moving a thread. I frequently do so for the edification of others and as a matter of courtesy.

F350

Don't know how it is in other states but in Colorado...

TITLE 16. CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS
CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
ARTICLE 3. ARREST - SEARCHES AND SEIZURES
PART 2. AUTHORITY OF PERSON NOT A PEACE OFFICER TO MAKE AN ARREST

C.R.S. 16-3-202 (2012)

16-3-202. Assisting peace officer - arrest - furnishing information - immunity

(1) A peace officer making an arrest may command the assistance of any person who is in the vicinity.

(2) A person commanded to assist a peace officer has the same authority to arrest as the officer who commands his assistance.

(3) A person commanded to assist a peace officer in making an arrest shall not be civilly or criminally liable for any reasonable conduct in aid of the officer or for any acts expressly directed by the officer.

TITLE 18. CRIMINAL CODE
ARTICLE 8. OFFENSES - GOVERNMENTAL OPERATIONS
PART 1. OBSTRUCTION OF PUBLIC JUSTICE

C.R.S. 18-8-107 (2012)

18-8-107. Refusing to aid a peace officer

A person, eighteen years of age or older, commits a class 1 petty offense when, upon command by a person known to him to be a peace officer, he unreasonably refuses or fails to aid the peace officer in effecting or securing an arrest or preventing the commission by another of any offense.

So LEO here can essentially commandeer YOU; don't see how your car would not exempt.

georg jetson

truly didn't hear of any law enforcement try commodeering vehicles during New Orleans catastrophe pre se, just flat out violation of citizen's civil rights so even if the zombies are coming over the hill i do not think LE will be interested in your vehicle(s).

wabbit

The NOPD did MUCH commandeering...

http://books.google.com/books?id=VD...&q=nopd commandeered vehicles katrina&f=false

I have a specific instance that happened to me that I've posted in another thread.

It involved a rather impolite and boisterous NOPD officer that had begun staying at a neighbor's house across the street a day or two after Katrina passed. He BRAGGED to me about all of the commandeering going on and told me in no uncertain terms. "We're under martial law. I could take your truck from you right now and you couldn't do a thing about it."

I've been thinking about that scenario ever since, trying to formulate a plan. The best I've come up with so far is to avoid LEOs at all costs during supposed "emergency" situations. For those in inescapable encounters, maintain the highest alert and have a plan of action already prepared.

Logan 5

Don't know how it is in other states but in Colorado...
So LEO here can essentially commandeer YOU; don't see how your car would not exempt.

I remember that law. It's a petty offense. At most maybe $50 fine for non-compliance.