• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I carry my gun in a IWB holster and still be considered open carry?

Jagorilla

I did NOT read all the other posts. That would just force bias into my reply.

Suggestion:

Go find the definition of Open Carry for Nevada.

Be more clear on what you mean about your dress code.

I suspect your phrase "...If I lift my shirt..." is confusing - that sounds momentary to showing someone you are open carrying. I don't think that will work. The definition of open carry will describe how much of the gun must be visible at all times (realizing if someone is standing on your opposite side they cannot see through you).

Don't risk losing your gun rights by someone on this board. Go ask a Local LEO or state police.

Cross draw or strong side, IWB or OWB is a personal preference. You may need to experience both to be sure of what you prefer.

If you would have read the other posts your confusion would have been cleared up :D Though yes I worded my explanation awkwardly in my original post. The gun would be showing at all times.

And I paraphrased the definition of open carry in Nevada with "ordinary observation", per attorney general opinion, Because there is no law allowing or barring the practice (so it's legal). The AG opinion is rather vague so I was asking for opinions. Wstar425 did a good job with that.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It doesn't take being around here long to know which members (especially when several agree) actually know what they are talking about. And if you want to be absolutely sure, just ask, and we'll get around to providing the exact statutes and examples as we can. Some of us here are actually professional firearms legal experts.

Cops are the among the WORST sources of information. Not only is it quite simply not their job to know the law, though they eventually learn the bits they use often, but if they don't know the answer or don't like the truth, they will often give their opinion under color of authority instead of telling you they don't know.

Jagorilla

It doesn't take being around here long to know which members (especially when several agree) actually know what they are talking about. And if you want to be absolutely sure, just ask, and we'll get around to providing the exact statutes and examples as we can. Some of us here are actually professional firearms legal experts.

Cops are the among the WORST sources of information. Not only is it quite simply not their job to know the law, though they eventually learn the bits they use often, but if they don't know the answer or don't like the truth, they will often give their opinion under color of authority instead of telling you they don't know.

I'm noticing that pattern haha. I bought my Ruger through a private sale from a cop, and he wouldn't sell it to me until I proved to him that I could buy a handgun through private sale under 21 in Nevada. I have had a couple off duty officers approach me about it (friendly encounters), so now I carry around a copy of NRS 202. 310 to prove I can own my ruger. However no issues with the open carry aspect.

Edit: The officers knew I was under 21 because they knew either my fiancée or a friend Im with.

Last edited:

garand_guy

There is a reason cops have cheat sheets and code books with them. I knew a lot of stuff by heart, and so did most of the traffic guys I worked with, but the patrol guys didn't. A lot of the guys know where to look in the book, but some aren't as bright as the others, and get stuff wrong, or in places were the cops suck, pull stupid shenanigans. Guess I was pretty lucky to live and work in a place where our cops had it together for the most part.

But Mac's right. Case in point: Retired Lt., very smart guy. He worked for the city as the parking/community traffic supervisor. It was his sunset job, created just for him. I had to find creative ways to educate him on stuff that he had wrong. It was very annoying to be smarter than one's boss, but it was pretty cool when the sergeant asked me to write up opinions on stuff for city council members.

I wrote my website (and my unit's municode training manual) by reading the codes. That's it. Just reading. A little common sense and reading comprehension goes a long way. Sadly, those two things are asking way too much these days.

Just look on Facebook.