• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can military bases discriminate?

eye95

I stood my share of guard mounts on many different posts. Can't say as I ever once got a portfolio of dog breed pictures, known felons, or quarantined produce to keep off post. Despite your scorn and bluster your realm of experience in insufficient to support your statements.

Twenty years in the AF. For three of them, I did my share of gate guard duty as a security policeman.

Sonora Rebel

I stood my share of guard mounts on many different posts. Can't say as I ever once got a portfolio of dog breed pictures, known felons, or quarantined produce to keep off post. Despite your scorn and bluster your realm of experience in insufficient to support your statements.

It's rather obvious that this particular sentry DID... and executed his duties accordingly. My 'realm of experience' came from standing watch as not only a regular sentry in my junior days, but as a PQS qualified POOW, JOOW, JOOD, Weapons Dept. Duty Officer and Senior Duty Section Leader (the guy who assigns the Watch, Quarter and Station Bill for the Command). I've already qualified the authority for such actions per the Base / Unit Commander previously... despite the anecdotal guardhouse lawyer nonsense to the contrary.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
There is NO onus upon a military member to obey an unlawful order. In fact, quite the opposite.

I'll second that for those folks out there who still believe our members of the military are mindless automatons following whatever orders are handed down by the chain of command. The right answer isn't just "no way," but that all of us in the military are specifically taught not to follow unlawful orders, as well as the basics of how to recognize the difference between a lawful order and an unlawful order.

Sometimes, however, there are gray areas, which are best handled by one's best knowledge of the ROE (rules of engagement), studied long and hard by those who don't want to find their butt in a sling for having done their best to serve their country, as well as their own moral judgement. It's seldom you'll fall afoul of things if you err on the side of good moral judgement, but military legal staff goes out of their way and then some to craft unambiguous and legally sound ROE for the protection of both the U.S. Military as well as our troops, in part because everyone's "moral judgement" varies.

On more than one occasion I made the decision to violate regulations or directives based on the circumstances. Most of the time the on-scene commander backed me up. On two occasions, they did not, and I was in hot water for a while. Looking back on things, however, I'd make the same decision today as I did then, as it was the right thing to do.

In the meantime, I expected those under my supervision to speak up if they believed we were headed down the wrong path. I'd hear them out, and would change course if it was so warranted.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
It's rather obvious that this particular sentry DID... and executed his duties accordingly. My 'realm of experience' came from standing watch as not only a regular sentry in my junior days, but as a PQS qualified POOW, JOOW, JOOD, Weapons Dept. Duty Officer and Senior Duty Section Leader (the guy who assigns the Watch, Quarter and Station Bill for the Command). I've already qualified the authority for such actions per the Base / Unit Commander previously... despite the anecdotal guardhouse lawyer nonsense to the contrary.

Again, the OP is discussing a normal gate guard. You are claiming gate guards (a rotating duty) receive detailed briefs prior to duty?

I also can list titles and acronyms, I also stood other types of watch, in peace and war. Come to think of it, in none of those places did I ever receive more than the required information about the immediate tactical situation.

I would prefer you do not attempt to use your own anecdotal guardhouse lawyer nonsense to question my integrity.

Are you truly claiming that ALL gate guards are ALWAYS trained to SUCCESSFULLY distinguish between these dog breeds:
* The American Staffordshire Terrier (a close cousin to or some think the same breed as the APBT)
* The Staffordshire Bull Terrier (also referred to as the English Staffordshire Bull Terrier)
* The American Bulldog
* The Dogo Argentino
* The Bull Terrier
* The Presa Canerio
* The American Pit Bull Terrier
* or any mix of the above breeds.