• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Can" versus "Should"--from mosques to OC

rushcreek2

I agree with Eeyore' s comparison (the NYC Mosque ) in that OC while constituting the exercise of a constitutionally protected RIGHT- is not likely to be universally accepted in our lifetime - generally tolerated perhaps, championed by others, but probably never fully accepted.

Like it or not - OC advocacy is a marketing effort. Like any other "product" this means all facets of OC should be presented TO THE MARKET. The RIGHT, the UTILITY, and the FUNCTIONALITY in the market place (the public square).

What is the fundamental reason that over the years auto body styles of the various manufacturers have clustered within a certain range of design ACCEPTANCE ? Most SUCCESSFUL MARKETERS have recognized that the MARKET (the PUBLIC) tends to reject extreme deviations from the perceived NORM, STYLES, or HABITS - that it has become ACCUSTOMED TO.

If an auto manufacturer plans to introduce a "new" and BOLDER body-style, it would be WISE to approximate to SOME DEGREE elements of design (style) generally ACCEPTED in current & past years' models . People proclaim to want to be different, and self-actualizing - BUT even "hippies". "bikers", "gangstas" (you name it) tend to CONFORM to some NORM - because people want to BLEND IN even if it is only within their own SUB-culture.

If we want to market open carry SUCCESSFULLY - then we are going to have to RESPECT the CONDITIONED PERCEPTIONS of the MARKETPLACE. We can proclaim from the mountain tops until we're blue in the face about the absoluteness of this particular RIGHT - but the fact remains that every court in the U.S. has consistently held this RIGHT is NOT only NOT ABSOLUTE , but is subject to significant "reasonable regulation".

Personally, when I OC I strive to present myself in a manner and style of dress that reasonably BLENDS in with the prevailing perceptual norm of a non-threat. This involves selection of clothing, weapon/holster style, and LOCATION. I think a further consideration should be my "attitude" presentation. I'm not referring to simply being "friendly". I mean "blending" into the environment as much as possible, and being "about my business" in a deliberate and diligent manner- like a plane following a flight-plan. Am I seeking to be "stealthy" ? Perhaps - because maybe I really want public reaction to my OC (if there is any) to be as subtle, and non-abrupt as my OC PRESENTATION.

Maybe I am not a "hard-charger" who gets much attention, but I believe similar approaches will eventually result in a lessening of the stigma the anti's have tried to attach to the MWAG.

We should beware of the trend towards increasing rigidity of the "articles of faith" to be found on this forum as well as concealed carry forums. We can all learn from the view points and experiences of others. Lest we forget that viable axiom of history :

"Extremisim always brings about its own destruction."

Last edited:

XD40coyote

They can have their mosque and I want to be able to legally OC at ground zero too. Bloomy and Barry picking and choosing the parts of the bill of rights that they like while taking a dump on the parts they don't like.