• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car Searched by Pittsburgh Police

Sig229

Well, last week I head back from my attorney in this matter and I thought i was angry about the encroachment of my rights before, now I an furious!

My attorney was at the courthouse about to begin with a trial that does not relate to me or my case at all and he only a a few minutes to give me an update.

But what he said is that there are no dashboard cam of the stop and search from any of the officers (I think there were 5 cars total).

He also said that the reason the officer gave for the traffic stop was that I did not use my turn signal. Which I know if false because I knew the officers where behind me and I made DAMN sure I did use my signal properly. We both agreed the LEO just used it as an excuse. And if I didnt use my signal he would have given me a traffic citation for the stop and explained that to me when I asked him "May I ask why you pulled me over sir?"
His reply was "Because thats what I do"

Now we all know that when a LEO pulls you over, one of the first thing he does is tell you why he pulled you over.
Furthermore, the officer said the reason he immediately pulled me out of the vehicle and began to search my vehicle is because "the occupants were acting very suspicious and were driving in a high crime and drug activity location of the city". Keep in mind we were ONE block away from Allegheny General hospital. this is by no means a high crime and drug activity area.
As far as the "suspicious activity" the LEO said we displayed is a complete lie. All I did was put the vehicle in par and hand him my DL, vehicle insurance info and reg. My friends and I had out hands on out laps the whole time and did NOT reach for anything or move about the car in a strange matter.

Bottom line is, I and my attorney believe we were profiled because he was a black male and I was white.
The only option he said I could utilize is making a complaint against the officer who originally conducted the stop. But he said, that in Pittsburgh it would most likely be shrugged of by the LEO's supervisor.

Again, if the primary reason for pulling me over was a driving infraction, why wouldn't the officer give me a ticket or at the very least a paper warning. Thats just regular police business.

Anyhow, I dont know if making a complaint is worth it or not.

Either way, I just wanted to update you folks.
I have to say, i am VERY disappointed with the PPD. I thought they had a little more class than what was displayed that day.
I know not all PPD LEO's act in this matter. But even one bad apple speaks volumes for the lack of observing a citizens constitutional rights.
Its 2010 and this is a northern state. If we were down south somewhere in the 50's, you would expect that treatment.

Enough of my ranting.
I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. You are a wonderful group!

Mr H

Just another city I can make a point to avoid!!!

Seriously... the only city I have ever come CLOSE to liking is San Diego (and even that is in question these days).

The appearance that SOME muni PDs give is that they are Law MAKERS, rather than Law ENFORCEment. All the more reason for us to ecucate folks as much as we can on how our system of law and justice sould work, and why the heavy hand of governments could use a little lighter touch.

Thanks for the update... hope you can come away from this with something resembling a reasonable resolution.

Sobered

Also, what "name" does the Pittsburgh Police have for people like me?

Based on my time in Central PA with yearly family reunions in the Pittsburgh area, I would guess that it was N____ lover.

Please don't judge me from this response, I despise racists as much as the next guy, I just have experience in the area.

LittleRedToyota

file a complaint with the citizen's review board.

probably won't do any good...but it can't hurt.

i know some pittsburgh police officers who are good guys and try to do the right thing. but, on the whole, the department is a tyrannical disaster.

they were not subject to a DOJ consent decree not all that many years ago for no reason...

MKEgal

Pennsic

Dreamer said:
> Coopers Lake campground... Last year there were over 10,000 people in attendence.

Last time I went was probably 9 or 10 years ago, and there'd been 10K people for a couple years even back then!
Seriously, folks, this is HUGE & lots of fun, if you're OK with the privations that can come with camping.

> everyone is armed... Needless to say, it's a VERY polite event. ;)

For the most part, yes. There are a few jerks, but less than in the same size crowd of average Americans, and they usually get squashed pretty quick... especially if a man picks on a lady. That's good for a world of hurt, from just about any passing gentleman. (And not a few ladies! Heaven help the miscreant then.)