• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CarMax Refuses Open Carry!

Gunny5821

imported post

Hello All,

OK, I have incorporated a majority of the suggested edits and am now providing the "Final Draft" for your preview. I searched google and carmax regarding a gun policy and was unable to find anything regarding such an animal. If such a policy actually does exist, I believe it will be internal. I suspect and agree with the thread that the policy, again if there is one, is for employees ONLY and they miss interpreted it. I guess we will find out when the replies, come in.. So here it is, last chance for suggestions:

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear _________________,

Good Morning. You do not know me, but I have been given your name and email address from an associate after he heard about the negative experience I had at two of your dealerships. I believe some background would be beneficial prior to me addressing the experiences with your dealerships.

I am a retired and disabled US Marine (USMC). I served twenty years and fought on several different fronts during my tenure, with Iraq / Desert Storm (1991) being the last. While serving in Desert Storm, I was wounded by enemy small arms fire. While serving with the USMC, my primary duty for the bulk of my career was Law Enforcement, achieving the position of Chief Detective, within the Criminal Investigations Division (CID). For over twenty years, I have had a weapon on my person both concealed carry and Open Carry. Additionally, I have acquired years of training with hand guns and long guns and was an expert shooter with both for twenty consecutive years, which is quite a feat. I now reside in Richmond Virginia, which is an “Open Carry” State, which means in the abbreviated context (I will not get into all of the parameters and criteria in this letter as it is too in depth), if qualified, you can carry a hand gun in the open on your person in an approved method of carry. After meeting and exceeding the requirements, I was granted a permit by the Commonwealth of Virginia to “Carry Concealed Firearms”.

I will now fast forward to the present. On Oct 10th at approximately 7:30 pm, I was at the CarMax Dealership on W Broad Street in Richmond. While there I was in Open Carry (Mode) and spoke to several people. After about 45 minutes, the salesman I had been with the entire time I guess noticed I was in Open Carry (Mode). He abruptly said that CarMax has a NO gun policy. I advised the salesman that Virginia is an Open Carry state and he said the decision had come down from Corporate, No Guns on CarMax property. He then asked me to lock the hand gun in my car so we could continue. I stated that would not be necessary as I will leave the lot and shop elsewhere.

On Oct 11th at approximately 2:30 pm, I was at the CarMax Dealership on Midlothian Trpk in Midlothian. While there I was in Open Carry (Mode) and spoke to numerous people. After about 15 minutes, the salesman I had been speaking to abruptly said that CarMax has a NO gun policy. I advised the salesman that Virginia is an Open Carry state and he said the decision had come down from Corporate, No Guns on CarMax property, adding it was a policy he did not agree with. He then asked me to lock the hand gun in my car. I told him it would not be necessary as I will take my business elsewhere.

Later that afternoon I went to several NEW Car dealerships and had no negative experiences, and subsequently purchased a new car.

I hope the salesmen were incorrect in their statements, and if so maybe the Corporate they referred to can in fact correct them on CarMax’s stance regarding Open and Concealed Handgun Carry. Either way, I thought you may like to know when a prospective customer has a negative experience on your properties. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
------------------------------------------------------

Yada Yada Gunny

6L6GC

imported post

not trying to be a smart alek or anything like that, but, why in the world would anybody go (back) to CarMax in the first place? Going there the first time: OK. But going back I don't understand.

First: they engage in a very condesending "crowd control tactic" of denying you access to their lot unless you enter through the cattle chute. You can't just go onto their lot to view the cars they have. You must first pass through the screening process.

Second: their prices are absurd.

Third: their prices are very absurd

Fourth: they snobbishly despise your RIGHT to carry a firearm for self defense and hold you in contempt for daring to not be a limp-wristed, panty-waist, thumb sucking cry baby government dependent hoping that the gov'mint will take care of you.

I went to the CarMax on Jefferson Avenue and left in short order after telling the conceited prick salesman where to put his attitude. Do what you want, it's a free country, but why go to a business that you already know is devoted to preventing you from being a free citizen?

Gunny5821

imported post

And the Band Marches On.............. Alrighty Than..............

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My thoughts in RED:

Gunny5821 wrote:
Hello All,

OK, I have incorporated a majority of the suggested edits and am now providing the "Final Draft" for your preview. I searched google and carmax regarding a gun policy and was unable to find anything regarding such an animal. If such a policy actually does exist, I believe it will be internal. I suspect and agree with the thread that the policy, again if there is one, is for employees ONLY and they miss interpreted it. I guess we will find out when the replies, come in.. So here it is, last chance for suggestions:

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear _________________,

Good Morning. You do not know me, but I have been given your name and email address from an associate after he heard about the negative experience I had at two of your dealerships. I believe some background would be beneficial prior to me addressing the experiences with your dealerships.

I am a retired and disabled US Marine (USMC). I served twenty years and fought on several different fronts during my tenure, with Iraq / Desert Storm (1991) being the last. While serving in Desert Storm, I was wounded by enemy small arms fire. While serving with the USMC, my primary duty for the bulk of my career was Law Enforcement, achieving the position of Chief Detective, within the Criminal Investigations Division (CID). For over twenty years, I have had a weapon on my person both concealed carry and Open Carry. Additionally, I have acquired years of training with hand guns and long guns and was an expert shooter with both for twenty consecutive years, which is quite a feat. I now reside in Richmond Virginia, which is an “Open Carry” State, which means in the abbreviated context (I will not get into all of the parameters and criteria in this letter as it is too in depth), if qualified, you can carry a hand gun in the open on your person in an approved method of carry. After meeting and exceeding the requirements, I was granted a permit by the Commonwealth of Virginia to “Carry Concealed Firearms”.

I will now fast forward to the present. On Oct 10th at approximately 7:30 pm, I was at the CarMax Dealership on W Broad Street in Richmond. While there I was legally openly carrying a firearm (OC) and spoke to several people. After about 45 minutes, the salesman I had been with the entire time I guess noticed I was OC. He abruptly said that CarMax has a NO gun policy. I advised the salesman that Virginia is an OC state and he said the decision had come down from Corporate, No Guns on CarMax property. He then asked me to lock the hand gun in my car so we could continue. I stated that would not be necessary as I will leave the lot and shop elsewhere.

On Oct 11th at approximately 2:30 pm, I was at the CarMax Dealership on Midlothian Trpk in Midlothian. While there I was OC and spoke to numerous people. After about 15 minutes, the salesman I had been speaking to abruptly said that CarMax has a NO gun policy. I advised the salesman that Virginia is an OCstate and he said the decision had come down from Corporate, No Guns on CarMax property, adding it was a policy he did not agree with. He then asked me to lock the hand gun in my car. I told him it would not be necessary as I will take my business elsewhere.

Later that afternoon I went to several NEW Car dealerships and had no negative experiences, and subsequently purchased a new car.

I hope the salesmen were incorrect in their statements, and if so maybe the Corporate they referred to can in fact correct them on CarMax’s stance regarding Open and Concealed Handgun Carry. Either way, I thought you may like to know when a prospective customer has a negative experience on your properties. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
------------------------------------------------------

Yada Yada Gunny

caltain

imported post

Gunny-

Yeah, I got this same story from them. I just stared at the sales guy and said "Leave it in my car? Now that WOULD be dangerous!" and walked out.

I did some research, and this is the official policy. The corp has some afiliation with violence prevention.

I just don't go there any more.

Caltain

Gunny5821

imported post

OK, the email reply is in:

----------------------------------------:celebrate
To: Joey Seidell

Hello Mr. Seidell, I am responding on behalf of Ms. Van Riper, Ms. Lee, and others in our Marketing department whom you contacted regarding your recent experiences at two of our stores. I would be happy to speak with you further regarding your feedback. Please phone me at your convenience at (804) 747-0422 ext. 4296 between the hours of 9 AM and 5:30 PM.

Thank you, and I look forward to speaking with you.

Sincerely,

Margaret Schaapman
CarMax Executive Response Team
----------------------------------------:celebrate

I did a little research and found the following:

1. The phone number (804-747-0422), goes to this address:
12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, VA 23238
(Which is designated as the "Headquarters" per the web page)

2. Website: http://www.carmax.com

3. Unable to locate anything specific to this woman on the web.

If time permits I will give her a call tomorrow and "See what we shall see"!

Anyone have knowledge of her? So what are the predictions on how the call will go?

Gunny :cool:

Gunny5821

imported post

Yeah, there are various sites all over the web that talk about CarMax. Just way to many to mention and it really isn't worth the headache... :cuss:

Gunny

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Slightly OT, but I had a different problem with CarMax -

I bought an extended warranty for a vehicle and went back for a repair within the warranty mileage listed on my warranty card. Seems that the salesman wrote the wrong mileage on the card and that I was actually over my warranty mileage "according to their computer". Plus, when I picked up my truck, the service bill indicated that the mileage was actually 80 miles more than what the odometer said....Imagine that!

Never again!