• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Permits are de Facto Gun Registration

Daylen

I'm sorry, but again, WHAT LIST? Please don't just say "The ATF's list.." or "the list" or whatever. Actually post some real- usable, verifiable, sourced information or just stop with all the "the list" bull crap.

No facts no sources just hear-say. "they must have a list" right? Give me a break.

the bound book information. http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf note that about anywhere a transaction takes place an entry needs to be made in the bound book with the recipients name and the firearm serial number's included.

cscitney87

"note that about anywhere a transaction takes place an entry needs to be made in the bound book with the recipients name and the firearm serial number's included. "

Again nobody is denying this. This is common practice for an FFL. What you have failed to understand is that the bound book is only turned into the ATF when the FFL closes business. There is NO legal requirement to regularly send the ATF the bound book.

No federal registration. No federal list.

No scare tactics here fellows. Besides- if there was a federal registration for firearms- we would all know about it. It would be an issue. The Firearms Owners Protection Act has secured our privacy.

Daylen

Again nobody is denying this. This is common practice for an FFL. What you have failed to understand is that the bound book is only turned into the ATF when the FFL closes business.

1. you seemed to be denying it with:
I'm sorry, but again, WHAT LIST? Please don't just say "The ATF's list.." or "the list" or whatever. Actually post some real- usable, verifiable, sourced information or just stop with all the "the list" bull crap.

No facts no sources just hear-say. "they must have a list" right? Give me a break.
in response to me simply saying that ATF had bound book information which contains the name of the purchaser and serial number for FFL transfers. perhaps I should not have used the word "list" since it seems to drive you nuts even though I thought it clear I was referring to the bound book information which is really a list of transactions. However I'll try to use information, bound book data or trace info.

2. you seem to have a short memory or are simply ignoring what anyone says and attacking a straw man instead. I seem to have said:
...Any time you buy from an FFL they enter your name and the serial number and such into a bound book. If the business is closed the bound book gets turned in to ATF and not destroyed...

There is NO legal requirement to regularly send the ATF the bound book.

No federal registration. No federal list.

No scare tactics here fellows. Besides- if there was a federal registration for firearms- we would all know about it. It would be an issue. The Firearms Owners Protection Act has secured our privacy.

just a legal requirement to send the ATF information from the bound book for use in tracing a firearm that the ATF or some other govt entity claims was used in a crime. and

Jack House

I guess the ATF could never just demand that all dealers turn in their records immediately. Nope, not at all.

cscitney87

I heard from a friend of a friend of an uncle of a guy who's friend knows some guy at the ATF says they are calling in all their bound books on Tuesday!!! Better get your bottled water and canned food! Shits hitting the fan! y2K!

Jack House

I heard from a friend of a friend of an uncle of a guy who's friend knows some guy at the ATF says they are calling in all their bound books on Tuesday!!! Better get your bottled water and canned food! Shits hitting the fan! y2K!
You realize that the exact same argument applies to registration, right? So, I guess by your logic registration would be fine as well?

Daylen

I think he's attempting sarcasm since he can't make even a wobbly argument, much less a solid one.

zack991

Every single person is on some government data base. I find it extremely funny that people believe the crooked government does the right thing after 24 hours with All that NICS data of approved transactions,that they say are being destroyed. Anyone in their right mind, damn well knows that they will keeping every character that is logged into their systems. The books that the ATF has collected due to the economy collapsing and the ones they have shut down, you would be a foolish to think the ATF/FBI don't take that info and place it into a database. When I bought my class 3 device they listed off every single weapon I have every bought and when and what store it was purchased from. This was over a 8 year period of weapons from all over the country. You better wake up to the reality of how screwed we are if they ever had to collect our firearms beside in Katrina. No need for tin foil they have gun owners by the balls, you trust them on their word, let me know how that works out for you with all the million of jobs created by that stimulus packaged and no ones taxes will rise for those making less then 250 grand.

Brimstone Baritone

I can see why you'd get defensive. You're whole argument rests on the idea of "We can trust them. They said so on their website."

I'm not normally a conspiracy guy, but please take another look at what you've posted as 'evidence' and try to realize how naive that sounds. By the way, you can trust that I'm telling the truth right now. I just said so. ;)

Jack House

I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy to claim that registration already exists to an extent, or that another Katrina style gun grab is a possibility. Those that say that a law was passed to prevent that need to stop being so naive. They seem to fail to realize that it was illegal in the first place. Unless you're going to tell me that the constitution doesn't apply during emergencies.

zack991

I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy to claim that registration already exists to an extent, or that another Katrina style gun grab is a possibility. Those that say that a law was passed to prevent that need to stop being so naive. They seem to fail to realize that it was illegal in the first place. Unless you're going to tell me that the constitution doesn't apply during emergencies.
There are way to many people in power who think this is legal and a good thing to boot. Yet idiots in the media like bill o'reilly seem to think it is ok to violate people freedoms. He fully supports politicians who share his viewpoint and gives them air time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4e_M8dcy0

Last edited:

cscitney87

"take another look at what you've posted as 'evidence' and try to realize how naive that sounds"

Sorry McD but FBI and NICS websites are clearly supporting factual evidence. My "evidence" is the LAW ITSELF. Again;Per Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25.9(b)(1), (2), and (3), the NICS Section must destroy all identifying information on allowed transactions prior to the start of the next NICS operational day.

If you're traveling down the path of "those government websites are wrong" then suit yourself but I'd rather not be labeled a crazy.

And Again: Per Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25.9(b)(1), (2), and (3), the NICS Section must destroy all identifying information on allowed transactions prior to the start of the next NICS operational day.

Per Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25.9(b)(1), (2), and (3)

Is that not evidence enough McD?

5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Last edited:

eye95

I think the concern is that the information exists at one point in time and, regardless of what the law requires, what do we have besides trust to ensure the law is being followed?

I'd love to see the results of an independent audit of actual practices.

Last edited:

Daylen

"take another look at what you've posted as 'evidence' and try to realize how naive that sounds"

Sorry McD but FBI and NICS websites are clearly supporting factual evidence. My "evidence" is the LAW ITSELF. Again;Per Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25.9(b)(1), (2), and (3), the NICS Section must destroy all identifying information on allowed transactions prior to the start of the next NICS operational day.

If you're traveling down the path of "those government websites are wrong" then suit yourself but I'd rather not be labeled a crazy.

And Again: Per Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25.9(b)(1), (2), and (3), the NICS Section must destroy all identifying information on allowed transactions prior to the start of the next NICS operational day.

Is that not evidence enough McD?

5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Um maybe I missed something, but I thought we'd all gone a bit off topic (the NICS check) and were onto bound book discussions and the like. I think the closest I got to the NICS was:
Why it could be good: if the FBI is trying to make an illegal list then they just have to keep the NICS checks. If they don't then they would have to ask for basically all the bound books. Not quite so easy or unnoticeable.
After that I thought I was clear that I was talking about the bound books, which are completely separate from NICS. I have yet to see you post anything real against my bound book arguments. And I certainly did post a link to the relevant ATF website for bound books.

Last edited:

cscitney87

That's fine that you posted a relevant source for bound book information on the ATF. I'm glad you did so. You'll read, in the same source, that the bound book is not regularly requested. In fact, you'll read- from your source- that the bound book is only sent to the ATF in the result of an FFL closing. You haven't sourced any information stating bound books are routinely sent to the ATF by an operating FFL- of which the ATF compiles a searchable database of gun owners and their registered firearms. I am finished here no more replies for me :) I win.

sudden valley gunner

a trusted washington state forum member was detained in the back of a cop car about a year ago.
they had forcefully removed his wallet from his pocket, so now they had his ID!
as he watched from the back seat, they ran his ID in the LIEN system!
he tells us that,,, every gun i have ever bought thru an FFL, including rifles and shot guns,
scrolled down the screen!!!!

nobody can convince me that once the state gets hold of a piece of information, about anybody or thing,
they would ever delete it,,,, unless they are found to have it unlawfully,, then they will claim, it was inadvertent!!!

if your numbers get RUN by a cop, its in a system.
if an FFL calls NICS to clear YOU and a gun serial no., its in a system.
if you get a permit to purchase, its in a system.
if you have a CPL you are in a system.

That was me, remember how some of the other members tried to say I was BS'ing.
JoeRocket and NavyLT looked into (I believe)and found out that DOL (department of license) is requiring that info and that is isn't illegal or at least is a "gray" area. And yes I was absolutely telling the truth.

I also talked to the owners of a small gun shop here and he asked his friend who is an LEO about it and he confirmed it.

That being said yes it does bother me that they are doing this and sharing the information with other agencies.