• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying with safety on, and no round in the chamber

JoeSparky

Centurion
While all of us would like to believe our situational awareness was such that no one would ever be able to surprise us, I know that for me I AM NOT PERFECT.

And for this reason I will always carry a modern type firearm, be it my 1911 with grip safety, or my xd, or even my couldn't be possible to conceal even if I wanted to 500 S&W Magnum with its 6 1/2 in barrel will ALWAYS be carried in a quality holster (generally retention type) with a round in the firing position.

I recognize that the final safety in ANY firearm is not the trigger but the mind set of the person whose finger in ON THE TRIGGER.

Emergencies don't call in advance to be penciled in to our daily schedules!

amzbrady

I am looking to get a different setup. I have explained that my holster flips my safety off. I am not really comfortable with the Bladetech. If someone were able to come up behind me and pull my firearm from me, this will allow me some reaction time, as my firearm is not chambered. I have not been able to find a Serpa Blackhawk concealment holster to fit my firearm. In fact I went to the store today looking for one, as I dont like standing at urinals with my willy in my hand and my back to the door. I emailed Serpa to see if they can suggest something. If not, I guess I will have to purchase something more common, that they do make a holster for (if I do, I'm going 45mm next time). I have however racked the slide prior to snapping the clip in. That has it cocked although theres not a round in the chamber, and as to yet it has not triggered. I still wont chance it, but I will not let it keep me from carrying either.

I guess I own a handSgun...:p

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I am looking to get a different setup. I have explained that my holster flips my safety off. I am not really comfortable with the Bladetech. If someone were able to come up behind me and pull my firearm from me, this will allow me some reaction time, as my firearm is not chambered. I have not been able to find a Serpa Blackhawk concealment holster to fit my firearm. In fact I went to the store today looking for one, as I dont like standing at urinals with my willy in my hand and my back to the door. I emailed Serpa to see if they can suggest something. If not, I guess I will have to purchase something more common, that they do make a holster for (if I do, I'm going 45mm next time). I have however racked the slide prior to snapping the clip in. That has it cocked although theres not a round in the chamber, and as to yet it has not triggered. I still wont chance it, but I will not let it keep me from carrying either.

Should I state the obvious? use a stall instead of the urinal.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
Should I state the obvious? use a stall instead of the urinal.

I also feel a bit more comfortable using most urinals while watching my back through the reflection on shiny pipes/covers with my elbow securely pressed against the top of my sidearm during the entire exercise. If I could not see behind me I would do as BigDave says and use a stall.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
I support the support angle. I remember how nervous I was when I first started to OC. I never carried with a round in the chamber, but I was still very nervous about it. The chances of him actually needing to use his gun are very slim, but in order to have it there when he needs it and have it in a "ready" condition, he needs to be comfortable carrying that way, otherwise he may stop carrying at all.

In other words, don't nag him. Just encourage him. People are different and some have to work into things, rather than diving.

amlevin

I also feel a bit more comfortable using most urinals while watching my back through the reflection on shiny pipes/covers with my elbow securely pressed against the top of my sidearm during the entire exercise. If I could not see behind me I would do as BigDave says and use a stall.

Just get one of these. Put it on your glasses/sunglasses and you can see who's coming up behind you.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290492...fb4c192&itemid=290492030800&ff4=263602_304662

Now the question is, are you going to "holster one weapon" before you draw the other????????

tombrewster421

Blade-tech also makes a retention holster. Remember their biggest clients are police departments. The local stores just tend to carry all the CC gear because it's more popular with the civilian crowd.

Gunslinger

I have a friend who recently started open carrying. He said he does not feel comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, so he carries it with the loaded magazine and the safety on. I told him that in an emergency situation, he may not have time to chamber a round and de activate the safety switch before damage was done.

He said he doesn't feel comfortable, because he's worried that if his firearm drops out of his holster, or if he's in a car accident, that the gun will discharge.

What are your thoughts on this?

Does he wear suspenders with his belt, too? What is going to strike the primer of a round in the magazine if he drops the gun?

Gunslinger

I have a Taurus PT 111 Millineum Pro and the best fit holster I have been able to find for it is a Bladetech for a glock 26. The holster flips the safety off when I holster the pistol. I dont feel comfortable carrying with a round chambered and the safety off. I called Taurus to find out about that, and I was told the PT 111 has a nine pound trigger pull and should not worry about a discharge, and that the safety was more there because of US laws than for actual safety. I couldnt believe that a taursus costomer service agent would advise carrying chambered with the safety off. It didnt give me enough of a warm fuzzy feeling to take his advice.

That's a DA pistol, isn't it? No more dangerous to carry with the safety off than a revolver. I carry my 24/7 OSS and Firestorm Mini-nine with a round chambered, hammer down (decockers) with no more concern than if I'm carrying my 586 or M-85 revolvers. Not the same as SA cocked and unlocked which is unsafe by any means.

Gunslinger

Greatly depends on what he is carrying.

One of my semi-auto pistols, a S&W 59, had a manual safety that flicked off if you so much as brushed it against something. Very, very light detent on that thing.

That pistol I always carried with an empty chamber.

My more recent pistols have all had decent manual safties that stayed put until actually moved - good detents on 'em.

My current carry is a Taurus 709, and the manual safety on a Glock-like mechanism lets me carry very comfortably with one in the chamber and manual safety on (in a Bianchi 82 with retention lever).

Your friend may have a pistol who's safety he doesn't trust (like my 59), he may just be in the "learning stage" of getting comfortable with carrying openly, or he may need a better holster...

Talk with him about it. :D

59 was DA. Could carry it like a revolver. Not one to knock extra safety measures, but DA pistols are meant to be carried like DA revolvers. The safety, in DA mode, is superfluous, imo.

Jayd1981

This actually seems fairly common to me. My dad started carrying (CC) this year. He carries a LCP (no safety) and he just feels more comfortable without a round in the chamber. My best friend started carrying last year (CC again, but he has open carried a few time while with me) and carries a 96D (again no safety, DAO). For the better part of a year he was just uncomfortable carrying while chambered. However a lot of practice with his pistol and just getting used to it got him to the point where he trusts his pistol chambered. Like it was said ealier in the thread, just support your friend for carrying. They will most likely get to the point where they trust thier pistol to be chambered, but it may take a little time. Going over the safety features of the pistol couldn't hurt either.