• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Case for the Model 29 Smith

W5DVC

imported post

S&W%20460XVR
WOW ..........I suppose those are a couple of images of what can happen when ' OLE MURPHY' shows up . Thought you might appreciate seeing a couple you maynot have seen before. W5DVC

W5DVC

imported post

S&W%20460XVR
W5DVC wrote:
S&W%20460XVR
WOW ..........I suppose those are a couple of images of what can happen when ' OLE MURPHY' shows up . Thought you might appreciate seeing a couple you maynot have seen before. W5DVC
Sorry got the images reversed. This is the 1st one.

W5DVC

imported post

I bought my S&W 460XVR first and then the S&W .500 MAGNUM ( 4" ) and then one of the guys I work with sent me these photos of a complete idiot who didn't even understand that the revolver has a .004 " gap between the barrel and cylinder......you of course can see the results. Clearly a case of "THE AMATEUR HOUR". /It is truly a shame that " ELMER KEITH" did not live to see what his beloved "REVOLVER" and his efforts on our behalf and that of HANDGUN HUNTERS EVERY WHERE have aspired too. W5DVC :banghead::banghead::banghead:

OldManMontgomery

imported post

Shrive me for a Frank!

I started out shooting as a dedicated 1911 shooter. I had checked The Complete Book of Modern Handgunning by Jeff Cooper (he later admitted the title was a bit reaching) from the library. You can guess the rest.

Then I got involved in a combat, no rules monthly shooting match and regularly got my clock cleaned by guys shooting revolvers. {The guy who ran the match designed courses that tested the shooter's ability, not round count. Without the obligatory '30 round burst', autopistols don't win as much.) So I realized there was something about this I hadn't learned.

Fast forward thirty years. I still own several 1911 pistols, all of them either Colts or G. I. guns. I have some other autopistols, too. I even still carry one from time to time. However, I've learned how to shoot double action. It is faster - and more accurate when faster - than a semiauto, and is easier to do. I know many others who can do the same.

For those of you who live in fear of meeting a chapter of Hell's Angels or a reinforced brigade of the Red Chinese Army, do as you will. I have a pretty good idea of what problems I can expect.

For those who miss a great deal, a large capacity magazine is a good idea. I can put a shot pretty much where I want it lately.

Do as you want; you're all big kids.

LeMat

imported post

Did you see that this fool went about suing S&W?

Actually brought a case forth in orderto sue them!!!:banghead:

I'm not sure as to the progress of the case or if it even went to court, but please............

Idiots like this shouldn't own guns in the first place.

That being said, after testing some new loads through the 45 Colt Redhawk today, I have half a mind to start carrying it full-time. Yes, it's heavy, but like my wife said "Now, that's a man's gun". :lol:

If a cumulative 1800 grains of lead can't take care of what needs taken care of, guess it just wasn't my day to begin with. ;)

W5DVC

imported post

LeMat wrote:
Did you see that this fool went about suing S&W?

Actually brought a case forth in orderto sue them!!!:banghead:

I'm not sure as to the progress of the case or if it even went to court, but please............

Idiots like this shouldn't own guns in the first place.

That being said, after testing some new loads through the 45 Colt Redhawk today, I have half a mind to start carrying it full-time. Yes, it's heavy, but like my wife said "Now, that's a man's gun". :lol:

If a cumulative 1800 grains of lead can't take care of what needs taken care of, guess it just wasn't my day to begin with. ;)
Excellent observation.......and " IT'S .......OBAMA NEUTRAL. NOT A SEMI-AUTO......AND IT'S NOT HIGH CAPACITY!!!!!! In my opinion the Redhawk is one of the BEST PLATFORMS RUGER HAS EVER DESIGNED.:cool:

W5DVC

imported post

Now that I have recieved my 3 new holsters and gunbelts from TUCKERGUNLEATHER......this is what I carry ( 4" S&W "X" FRAME CHAMBERED FOR .500 S&W MAGNUM ). It too ........is OBAMA NEUTRAL ........not a semi-auto.......and not high capacity .

shad0wfax

imported post

I do agree that a double action revolver is reliability in a nutshell. They don't jam unless they absolutely break and we're talking about shearing or snapping metal at this point.

.44 special is a great defensive caliber but the size of the N-frame can make daily carry a bit cumbersome. IF you're worried about concealment the N-frame isn't the best choice either. However, you can go with a 5-shot J-frame in .357 magnum and you have the option of carrying .38 +P and practicing with .38 SPL allowing for reduced load practice even if you don't hand-load.

Ruger SP-101 and Ruger Redhawks are great too and they offer similar sizes as their S&W counterparts.

I personally carry a J-frame in .357 magnum when I'm not carrying my .45 ACP.

W5DVC

imported post

Well it's not an "L" FRAME......OR AN "N" FRAME.......OR EVEN A "J" FRAME , it's an "X"FRAME and it's not a .44............it's a S&W .500 MAGNUM..........AND IT CONCEALS JUST FINE.......behind the point of the hip. The 3 holsters and gunbelts made for me by TUCKER are efficient , attractive , but most of all comfortable enough to wear all day long . I know, because I wear it all day long , every day.

Wheelgunner

imported post

I have a second revolver as backup in my "Daisho", as I always felt that a second gun was the fastest reload.

Between the two, I have 11 rounds and the weight of the 296 backup is the same as two loaded magazines.

A different Daisho for a man who preferred the .357 is the N frame 8 shot and the airweight .357, giving 13 rounds of 357 and total confidence in either weapon to finish the fight. Also, should you get hit in your stronger arm or hand and lose your main weapon, the other is right there.

shad0wfax

imported post

W5DVC wrote:
Well it's not an "L" FRAME......OR AN "N" FRAME.......OR EVEN A "J" FRAME , it's an "X"FRAME and it's not a .44............it's a S&W .500 MAGNUM..........AND IT CONCEALS JUST FINE.......behind the point of the hip. W5DVC
I'm not sure I could pull off concealing that X-frame, but that's a great woods gun! I'd open-carry the heck out of it! It's purdy!

EDIT: Aww you're in Texas. :( Hopefully the OC laws change there.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Try carrying an S&W .500 Mag concealed. Hell, try firing one with one hand.

The .500 Magnum is best carried where there is dangerous wildlife about. For the rest of ys it would be useful if we fell into the rhino pit at the zoo....

Oh, it's a booot in the a$$ to shoot. No doubt about it. But for carry in a populated area? I don't know about the rest of yall; but I wouold rather not have myself in the docket VS various "innocent bystanders"......

W5DVC

imported post

I DO............AND I HAVE .Try Hornady load .300grain FTX @ 2075FPS. I can fire it one handed or two . I do wounded officer drills with it .If you use the proper technique .....it's not a problem. Maybe .......you need better training .

The load that I carry in the weopon is CORBON 350 GR JHP @1350 FPS. 1417 FT.LBS......that is a .500 SPECIAL LOAD , 3 of the six loads I carry in my full moon clip holder are this load , the other 2 are a CORBON 275 GRAIN DPX LOAD @ 1665 FPS @1693 FT.LBS , THE OTHER LOAD IS HORNADY 500 GRAIN JACKETED FLAT POINT (XTP) 1425 FPS @ 2400 FT.LBS.The other two loads are for problems that can't be solved by the .500 SPECIAL LOADS . With the inherrent flexibility in my basic load , I can STOP ANYTHING THAT WALKS ON THE PLANET........ON TWO LEGS OR FOUR , FROM MUZZEL CONTACT TO 200 YDS...........AND IT'S ..........OBAMA NEUTRAL ........NOT SEMI-AUTO ......AND NOT HIGH CAPACITY . W5DVC

shad0wfax

imported post

W5DVC wrote:
I DO............AND I HAVE .Try Hornady load .300grain FTX @ 2075FPS. I can fire it one handed or two . I do wounded officer drills with it .If you use the proper technique .....it's not a problem. Maybe .......you need better training .
Heheh beat me to it about the training comment. I'll add to that with knowing your back-stop. That's just as important for a 9mm as it is for a .500 smith. All it takes is one of your gold dots or Hydrashocks to clog up and believe me, a 9x19 will zip right through a human torso and wound or even kill someone directly behind the bad guy.

Over-penetration isn't only a concern for the big magnums, it's a concern for just about any defensive shooting situation, even a .22 LR can over-penetrate.

I have carried a .44 magnum revolver before, but never a .500 Smith because I can't afford to own or shoot the big 500 :)

W5DVC

imported post

Though not for street carry , or for an on-duty load , try hand-loading . BRASS available from STARLINE .STARLINE BRASS takes large rifle primers / there have been some problems with the .500 MAGNUM , WITH DAMAGE TO THE GUN BY LARGE MAGNUM PISTOL PRIMERS. MOSTof your commercial ammunition now comes with large rifle primers.......lots of load data available .SAFE SHOOTING AND LOL . W5DVC

YOU KNOW................ALL THE CREDIT .........FOR THE MODERN STATE OF THE BIG BORE REVOLVER GOES POSTUMOUSLY TO ELMER KEITH !!!!!!! GOD BLESS HIM !!!!!

markm

imported post

Hello Wheelgunner,

I followed your posts on this thread and have enjoyed what you wrote. Your logic and citations are hard to refute.

I have read that the 1911 .45ACP is being used by our soldiers in combat zones because they need more stopping power. I don't know if this is internet BS or not, but it makes sense.

Your point about a .44 bullet having a greater diameter, unexpanded, than an expanded 9 mm is right on.

I have a SW model 28 Highway patrolman in .357 mag. It is the same gun frame as your model 29, just in .357. It is still my favorite gun. I reload ammo. The .357 caliber gives me many options. We can shoot soft load .38 special or full magnum .357s. My wife and kids like the soft load .38s while I like shooting a .357 load that is comparable with a ++P .38 special load.

I have full magnum hunting loads with soft point and hollow point projectiles.

I have practiced speedloading my .357 guns. I can speed load it in seconds while blindfolded. I had to modify the Goncalo Alves grips on my M-28 as they were interfering with the speedloading process.

My 28 year old M-28 broke on me at the range one day. I took it to a gunsmith and he could not fix it. The gunsmith sent to S&W and they completely rebuilt it, for free! I was shocked! I was prepared for a $300 to $600 repair bill. I paid $30+- for shipping, and that was all!

I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I have pumped through that gun, and now it is ready for another xthousands of rounds.

I love my wheelguns.

markm

PS: I would love to own a G22 or a P226-- I am not prejudiced!

Alexcabbie

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
W5DVC wrote:
Heheh beat me to it about the training comment. I'll add to that with knowing your back-stop. That's just as important for a 9mm as it is for a .500 smith. All it takes is one of your gold dots or Hydrashocks to clog up and believe me, a 9x19 will zip right through a human torso and wound or even kill someone directly behind the bad guy.

Over-penetration isn't only a concern for the big magnums, it's a concern for just about any defensive shooting situation, even a .22 LR can over-penetrate.

I have carried a .44 magnum revolver before, but never a .500 Smith because I can't afford to own or shoot the big 500 :)
This is true. Perhaps I should have clarified that the S&W .500 is capable of blowing right through the backstop itself in some cases. I would be concerned about the round going thrugh the BG, plowing through one wall of a buiding and out the other and killing one of these dog-walking citizens here in old town on the other side.

W5DVC

imported post

That is why the intelligent choice of what load you carry is important . Maybe you missed it , I don't know , but I will repeat it , " The load I CARRY IN THE GUN ' COR-BON 350 GRAIN JHP 1350 FPS @ 1400 FT.LBS. , THIS is a .500 SPECIAL LOAD . In my full moon clip carrier I carry 3 of these + 2 other loads . The other loads COR-BON 275 GRAIN DPX BULLET 1665 FPS @ 1693 FT.LBS. FOR BARRIER PENETRATION , AND LAST FOR CASES WHERE MAXIMUM PENETRATION IS REQUIRED .........HORADY 500 grain JACKETED FLAT POINT (XTP)1425 FPS @ 2400 FT'LBS.(DESIGNED FOR MAXIMUM PENETRATION ON DANGEROUS GAME ) . DITTO!!!

Wheelgunner

imported post

Thank you for your kind words Mark. I am not sure I even mentioned the lifetime warranty and excellent service Smith and Wesson gives it's customers!

Various bullets fired into ballistic gel, 5 inch barrel, 44 mag. Silvertip is 0.87 inches across! Ouch. The factory Silvertip is downloaded to a reasonable load for carry. Remington factory 180 gr comes out of my 5 inch barrel and nearly turns inside out. I don't know what happened to the Speer

ADDITIONAL: Doubletap now has a 44 Special (which can be fired in 44 mag guns) that is fantastic.

Finally, a real high performance 44 Special loading for personal defense! This loading uses standard pressure. You can use it in any .44 Special that is in good condition! This powerful loading comes in boxes of 50!

Caliber : .44 Special

Bullet : 200gr. Bonded Defense JHP

Ballistics : 1100fps - 538 ft./lbs. - 6.5" bbl.
1350fps from a Win. 1894AE 16" trapper carbine

Box of 20rds.