• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccdw holders database...

superdemon

imported post

hotrod wrote:
superdemon wrote:
hotrod wrote:
superdemon wrote:
zer0cool wrote:
You would be liable, you may be able to carry in that state but you have to go by the laws of that state. So if its ok in ky and not in bufu idaho but they have a rec. agreement then you can carry what their law states is a deadly weapon or just simply a handgun. I always check state laws when I know I'm going to be crossing a border line. If you have a ky ccdw and you dont check the state laws of the state you are going to be visiting then thats on you.:banghead: Thats why you pay attention in the class you're required to take, they tell you that you have to check on the laws before you carry. I like the ccdw, since I'm not sworn yet and I'm working on a detail I can have by sidearm and my baton under a suit jacket and still be legal. Without that I would be in violation.

I didn't have to take a class. Before HR218, there was an exemption for police officers.After HR218, there was no point.

With HR218, and my agencies' concealed carry card/departmental ID, I have let my CCW expire, and don't plan on getting another one.
i have never been a fan of 218, it makes 2 classes of people. It only gives you the right to carry where a civilian can not, it does not give you jurisdictional authority, and , it hasn't been tested in court for constutitionality, which I think it would fail before the US Supreme Court.

All it does is gives those of us who already have been trained inweapons, tactics and law the availability to intervene as a citizen ifwe are out and about. It only codified something that was already going on for decades, anyway.

And Ihardlythink the Supremes would knock it down, especially with their recent DC gun ban decision.
Intervene as a civilian in a jurisdiction outside the Commonwealth and see how fast you loose those things you have worked so hard to acquire. That is the exact reason that I think 218 is a terrible law, it percieves to give law enforcement something they do not possess outside of their jurisdiction, power to make lawful arrest. If you make an arrest in Los Angeles using your weapon you will be on the other side of the bars, not for carrying possibly, but for using an arrest authority that you do not possess.

It was never intended to be used as a reason to arrest. I don't think anyone interprets it as making us "national"police officers. I think it was designed more with stopping active shooters, holding a suspect until that jurisdiction's police arrive, etc.

Besides, what's the first requirement of a lawful arrest? The officer must intend the action to be an arrest.

Statesman

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Probably the question comes up as to who runs the license check. I have been told by my county dispatchers it does NOT come up and I hear from others it DOES come up.

I'll look into this some more. I see no harm in erring on the tell 'em side as they may already know. This is an excellent thread discussion.:cool:
My CCDW instructor seemed to suggest that it was a good idea, as a matter of courtesy, to also handover the CCDW license along with your drivers license. This in itself should not be construed to be hostile.

If you're pulled over at night, turn the lights on in your car, and put your hands on the steering wheel so he/she can see them. I can assure you they appreciate this sign of non-hostile intent. Subsequently handing them your CCDW along with drivers and insurance proof, is just being courteous.

--

This post should not be construed to be legal advice, and is given for informational purposes only. Please check with an attorney before using any information given.

superdemon

imported post

Trust me. The CCDW info is attached to you DL info, and it comes up each time your DL is querried. I have been a cop for 10 years.

Now, if an outside agency is doing the querries for a non-LINK certified agency, the outside agency may get lazy and not pass the info on the the requesting agency, but it does come up when the DL is querried.

I promise.:p