• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Permit Issued in AZ not Valid in NV For NV Resident

Vegassteve

I was the OP of this thread and I am not willing to throw the AZ CCW Instructor under the bus just yet. From what I have read NV only opted in to AZ in Aug 2011 and I am now certain that the instructor was NOT up to speed on NV law. Maybe he should have paid more attention to the specifics before telling me (and others) that AZ CCW Permits were legal in NV for NV residents. However, I am responsible to know the laws for my state and I should have tried harder to make myself acquainted with all the ins and outs.

That said.. when I notified him of my findings he told me he was unaware that NV had stronger laws for NV residents. He told me he would let any other NV CCW students know that he was going to let them know and investigate for himself. He will be in Quartzite until Mar 15 and asked me to call him back then for followup. He also said he had 15 people from LV coming down to Lake Havasu in April and he would notify them. So it does not appear to me that his mistake was intentional. He did not offer me my money back yet. But he did tell me the "Gun Shop" in LV offered CCW Classes for free. After reading some of the posts on this Forum I do not think I would take advantage of that class even if it was NOT an 8 hr drive from Reno to LV. He also told me he heard CO had recently enacted a similar law.
I will wait until I am back in contact with the instructor before I condemn him

No this person needs to be outed now. I can not recall a time in recent years when a out of state permit for a NV resident was good.

NAVYBLUE

I was the OP of this thread and I am not willing to throw the AZ CCW Instructor under the bus just yet. From what I have read NV only opted in to AZ in Aug 2011 and I am now certain that the instructor was NOT up to speed on NV law. Maybe he should have paid more attention to the specifics before telling me (and others) that AZ CCW Permits were legal in NV for NV residents. However, I am responsible to know the laws for my state and I should have tried harder to make myself acquainted with all the ins and outs.

That said.. when I notified him of my findings he told me he was unaware that NV had stronger laws for NV residents. He told me he would let any other NV CCW students know that he was going to let them know and investigate for himself. He will be in Quartzite until Mar 15 and asked me to call him back then for followup. He also said he had 15 people from LV coming down to Lake Havasu in April and he would notify them. So it does not appear to me that his mistake was intentional. He did not offer me my money back yet. But he did tell me the "Gun Shop" in LV offered CCW Classes for free. After reading some of the posts on this Forum I do not think I would take advantage of that class even if it was NOT an 8 hr drive from Reno to LV. He also told me he heard CO had recently enacted a similar law.
I will wait until I am back in contact with the instructor before I condemn him

Marine 58,

I know you don't want to throw him under the bus but this guy should NEVER be allowed to teach a CCW class in Arizona. I know the CCW/OC laws in all (50) states and I am not even an instructor. So if it is that easy for me, then what is this guy's excuse for not knowing the reciprocity laws pertaining to CCW.

I did the research because I hold a Pennsylvania CFL (CCW) and am in the process of getting a NV/UT/AZ CCW as I do a lot of personal travel.

NAVYBLUE

DocWalker

Marine 58,

I know you don't want to throw him under the bus but this guy should NEVER be allowed to teach a CCW class in Arizona. I know the CCW/OC laws in all (50) states and I am not even an instructor. So if it is that easy for me, then what is this guy's excuse for not knowing the reciprocity laws pertaining to CCW.

I did the research because I hold a Pennsylvania CFL (CCW) and am in the process of getting a NV/UT/AZ CCW as I do a lot of personal travel.

NAVYBLUE

With a UT/OR and either a AZ or a NV you should be good any where out west except CA I have a UT/OR/and ID since it is my state of residence and the only places I can't OC right now is NV and CA. I plan on getting a AZ or NV ASAP.

I know you can follow all the acronims as you are a Veteran....lol

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Doc, or anybody else:

I will be traveling to Oregon this weekend. My intended route takes me through Winnemucca, NV, on the way there and back (as I do not set foot in CA, I don't care how pretty they say the drive is.) As you know, a NV class must be taught inside NV. Let me know if you would like a class; I'm sure we can work something out.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Well Arizona CCW can be done by mail but Nevada recognizes it, no live fire there...

I believe I mentioned there were loop holes by using documentation that AZ considers to be equivalent to "live-fire" even if it actually didn't have any. Honestly, I think NV doesn't know this or they would probably remove AZ from the list. I am not saying I agree with NV's strict recognition policy.

FallonJeeper

Not entirely accurate. It doesn't necessarily have to be clearly visible. It can be in a holster, covered by a seatbealt, or between you and the door if you are left handed. It can be on, under, between, behind the seat, in a glove box, in a center console, in a bag, gun case, brief case, locked or unlocked doesn't matter.

It just CANNOT be ON Your Person and Covered by clothing or in a pocket or pouch.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Maybe, maybe not. If it was really 'all about the money,' they would not recognize ANY out-of-state permits. Given the recent changes to the recognition list, whether anyone believes there is an 'all about the money' component, the rationale given for removal from recognition was logical in application, and not arbitrary.

Can you provide a logical summery for dropping Florida? Or the rational that you speak of?

ManInBlack

Your post was not inappropriate. In fact, CCW permits themselves are on-topic here because they actually expand the legality of OC in all states to some degree.

While that is true for some states, it is not true for all. In Idaho, the only places where it is statutorily prohibited to open carry are primary or secondary schools. When concealing with a permit, that list expands to also include courthouses, juvenile detention facilities, and jails.

Arguably, permits make it easier to navigate federal GFSZs, but Idaho peace officers don't enforce that as near as I can tell. In any event, it's a function of federal law, not state.

varminter22

No, you do NOT need to take a class IN the county you apply in.

"I am a Nevada resident. May I attend CCW training in a county other than my home county?
Yes. Sheriffs are to honor other sheriff's CCW Instructor certifications. NRS 202.3657 states a sheriff shall issue a permit to any person who is qualified and who submits an application and who demonstrates competence by presenting a certificate to the sheriff which shows that he successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State."
http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Pages/CCW_FAQ.php

http://leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3657
I think Mr Wright assumed Doc Walker is a Nevada resident. But Doc Walker's post info indicates he is an Idaho resident.

Non-NV residents are required (by the NSCA) to attend the training in the county in which they will apply for the permit.

See: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Docs/CCW/Training_and_Instructor_Standards_2010.pdf
Non Resident Training:
All training must take place within the state of Nevada, and in the county in which the person will apply for the non-resident permit. If that county does not have approvedinstructors the applicant may go to the nearest county that does.
The above "requirement" is not delineated in the law, but is a "requirement" of the NSCA.

Last edited:

varminter22

NRS 202.3657:
... course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association ...

NRS 202.3657:
Such a course must include instruction in the use of revolvers, semiautomatic firearms or both, as applicable, and in the laws of this State relating to the use of a firearm. A sheriff may not approve a course in firearm safety pursuant to subparagraph (1) unless the sheriff determines that the course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association or, if the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association ceases to exist, its legal successor.
I'm not saying its "right" but that is the direction the NSCA has taken it!

DocWalker

I think Mr Wright assumed Doc Walker is a Nevada resident. But Doc Walker's post info indicates he is an Idaho resident.

Non-NV residents are required (by the NSCA) to attend the training in the county in which they will apply for the permit.

See: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Docs/CCW/Training_and_Instructor_Standards_2010.pdf The above "requirement" is not delineated in the law, but is a "requirement" of the NSCA.

This is what I was told by Clark Co. Sheriff's Office; that I needed to attend the class in the county I was applying for the permit since I'm an Idaho resident.

The bigger issue is why any city, state, or body allows a group like the Sheriffs to make a policy/law without proper athority. If this is allowed to happen unchecked than what next Marshal Law?

Big strech I know but once a group gets away with something they will claim it as their right.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

This is what I was told by Clark Co. Sheriff's Office; that I needed to attend the class in the county I was applying for the permit since I'm an Idaho resident.

The bigger issue is why any city, state, or body allows a group like the Sheriffs to make a policy/law without proper athority. If this is allowed to happen unchecked than what next Marshal Law?

Big strech I know but once a group gets away with something they will claim it as their right.

I know that I was not active, in 2007, but when SB 237(the bill empowering the NVSCA) was pushed through, it appears that it was uncontested. Does anyone have transcripts of the committee meetings? or video? Not to point fingers as it is water under the bridge, rather to learn from.

wrightme

I know that I was not active, in 2007, but when SB 237(the bill empowering the NVSCA) was pushed through, it appears that it was uncontested. Does anyone have transcripts of the committee meetings? or video? Not to point fingers as it is water under the bridge, rather to learn from.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/74th2007/Reports/history.cfm?ID=580

As introduced, provided for out of state ccw recognition, which had not been law prior to SB237.

As introduced, provided for 'any revolver,' AND 'any semiautomatic.'

As introduced, gave the DPS the responsibility of determining the recognition states.

Amendment 165 added text that the NVSCA had to agree to the states the DPS wanted to add.

Amendment 887 took out the 'any semiautomatic' text.

As for 'pushed through and not contested,' I would expect that for a bill that added recognition of other state permits, removed the requirement to qualify with EACH revolver you wanted to carry concealed, and tried to add 'any semi-auto' to NV statute. We didn't get the 'any semi-auto' that year, and we got a small turd with that small 'NVSCA must agree' text.

NOTE: The Nevada State Legislature homepage includes a lot of historical data, including the minutes from the sessions and committees in past legislative sessions.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/74th2007/Reports/history.cfm?ID=580

As introduced, provided for out of state ccw recognition, which had not been law prior to SB237.

As introduced, provided for 'any revolver,' AND 'any semiautomatic.'

As introduced, gave the DPS the responsibility of determining the recognition states.

Amendment 165 added text that the NVSCA had to agree to the states the DPS wanted to add.

Amendment 887 took out the 'any semiautomatic' text.

As for 'pushed through and not contested,' I would expect that for a bill that added recognition of other state permits, removed the requirement to qualify with EACH revolver you wanted to carry concealed, and tried to add 'any semi-auto' to NV statute. We didn't get the 'any semi-auto' that year, and we got a small turd with that small 'NVSCA must agree' text.

NOTE: The Nevada State Legislature homepage includes a lot of historical data, including the minutes from the sessions and committees in past legislative sessions.

Thanks for the link, I had all of that, I was looking for the public comment part. It appears that everyone stayed away that day. I looked up the definition of "Small Turd" for you, it came back as: "The trading of small conveniances for a Dictatorship"