• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CH 13 Open carry

Metalhead47

Clearly reasonable men and women can differ but my $0.02 is this: given the apparently significant number of recent officer involved shootings (at least here in Spokane), if there is any possibility that the firearm might be discovered during a traffic stop, I would err on the side of informing the officer. Waiting until the firearm actually is discovered may result in a rather unpleasant encounter (or worse). For me it depends on what sort of coat I'm wearing and whether there is any chance the little big Glock might become visible while undoing the seat belt, digging for the wallet or reaching for the registration and insurance card.

I've heard that handing the officer your CPL along with your licence is a nice subtle way of notifying them...

Comments on the news rpt, it may not be perfect but its at least a step in the right direction for them. I'd call it a positive note that the only inaccuracy was whether it's a CPL or a CWP.

joeroket

I carry on my right side with my wallet in my right back pocket. The couple of times I have been stopped and the officer asks for my license I tell them I have a pistol on my right hip just in front of my wallet. They all ask if I have a permit and have never disarmed me. In fact all but one has thanked me for letting them know and providing my permit to them with my license.

I have no fear of informing an officer of my pistol. Like was said before it is the ones they find on their own that seems to be of concern to them. How many felons will admit they have a firearm when stopped?

Lovenox

I carry on my right side with my wallet in my right back pocket. The couple of times I have been stopped and the officer asks for my license I tell them I have a pistol on my right hip just in front of my wallet. They all ask if I have a permit and have never disarmed me. In fact all but one has thanked me for letting them know and providing my permit to them with my license.

I have no fear of informing an officer of my pistol. Like was said before it is the ones they find on their own that seems to be of concern to them. How many felons will admit they have a firearm when stopped?

+10