• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change of Dinner Location

Mainsail

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Thrown out of Cabela's? Do tell... I heard about the problems, didn't realize it was being tossed out.
I think someone in Cabella’s must have spread some misinformation. The first time, John and I were approached by a female employee who asked me if I was a police or law enforcement or something along those lines. When I said no she told me I had to go back downstairs and check my pistol in at the front desk and that it was store policy. I told her no. She said I would have to leave it in my car and I again told her I would not. She said that ‘some women’ were extremely nervous that I was carrying a gun in the store. A male employee with her told be I should cover it, I told him I couldn’t with what I was wearing, and I didn’t have my permit with me anyway. I told them about having discussed the issue with corporate and that their policy was to mirror state law, blah blah blah. We all went around and around like this a couple more times when I spotted Lonnie towering over the shelving. He told them everything I had already and the female excused herself to check with a manager. She came back and told me I could carry in the store but I couldn’t fit a holster to the gun unless I went downstairs and checked the gun in. Within ten minutes of this incident there were about six open carriers milling about and plugging up the aisle.

A few folks wanted to grab a drink in the cafeteria so we headed in that direction. I was standing outside talking to John while everyone was in line and someone walking past spotted the 1911 on my belt. He started the whole lecture all over again and John began to engage him. I looked at him but I couldn’t see anything that identified him as an employee of Cabella’s, so I asked, “Who the hell are you?” He showed me his employee card that was in his pocket, I thought he might be plain clothes loss prevention but he was just a stock boy. He repeated that it was against store policy, that they’d been told that OC wasn’t allowed in the store. We pointed out that we’d just had the same go-‘round over in the firearms department and he let it go.

So someone must have started the rumor that OC wasn’t allowed in the store.

Gregarious1

imported post

I have to say this surprises me as 2 weeks ago my father and I made our first trip to Cabelas and both of us were carrying. We were concealed but when we were at the gun counter milling about and chatting with the guy behind the counter and I made reference to buying smaller/lighter weight for everyday carry he asked if I was carrying at which I replied yes. He then asked what I carried and when I told him verbally ( as I did not want to cause any alarm by displaying ) he promptly asked me to show him. There were at this point 3 other staff behind the counter at which point I expressed my reserve in removing my weapon from its holster.He very calmly assured me that doing so was perfectly acceptable by their standards and would not warrant any alarm from the other staff. A few moments later another gentleman came up to the counter with a rifle he brought in.Since Cabelas recognizes the individual States carry laws and this has already been discussed in this forum maybe it would be beneficial to send off a copy down to Cabelas in Lacey or better yet to call Cabelas Corporate AGAIN and inform them of the problem so that they can in turn clearly remind/inform all staff that it is perfectly legal to OC in their store.

Gregarious1

imported post

Machoduck- I am a newbee to this website and interested in learning more about this new trend in OC. I have always carried concealed asa general rule of " Not drawing undue attention to oneself while carrying a firearm ". My overall thought is that every law abiding citizen should carry;we wouldlive in a much better society. I notice that you note your locationas being from King County which is where I reside as well. Are you in relative proximity to the Kent/Renton area and would you be interested in meeting sometime ? I would also like to know about the next Dinner meeting for the group as it seems I just came on board a shy to late to make the last one.