• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield Man arrested for open carrying NEAR a school

riverrat10k

Sending off another e-mail to the attorney......

This was a felony charge under VA18.2-308.1

"B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

C. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony and sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence."

Really hope he responds. Very worrisome not knowing the circumstances well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Fenris

Was really more wondering if anyone had any details of this new concept of being charged with almost violating a law. Has defendant or his attorney spoken to anyone?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was really more wondering if anyone had any details of this new concept of being charged with almost violating a law. Has defendant or his attorney spoken to anyone?

There has never to my knowledge been either a public statement or direct conversation with them.

Several of us contacted (left message) the attorney offering help, but no return call.

riverrat10k

Reviving this as it has been over a year since the charge.

Does the nolle pros. timeline start with the date of the charge or the date of the np adjudication?

I think it is time to try the attorney again.

grylnsmn

Does the nolle pros. timeline start with the date of the charge or the date of the np adjudication?

I think it is time to try the attorney again.

My understanding (IANAL) is that nolle prosequi literally means "Does not pursue". It simply means that the prosecutor chooses not to pursue the case. It doesn't do anything else about the underlying offense, which means that the original statute of limitations would apply.

MilProGuy

If he's smart, next time he'll conceal carry near the school. (No harm, no foul, no hassle.)

Just wanted to jump back in and add a remark or two for clarification of my earlier post, since I've received several responses to it.

We all know it is unlawful to carry a firearm on school property.

This guy was openly wearing his gun NEAR school property.

If he had chosen to conceal his handgun while he was NEAR the school property, no one NEAR the school property would have seen the weapon and would have had no cause for concern.

Sometimes common sense goes a long ways if one will take the time to use it.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just wanted to jump back in and add a remark or two for clarification of my earlier post, since I've received several responses to it.

If he had chosen to conceal his handgun while he was NEAR the school property, no one NEAR the school property would have seen the weapon and would have had no cause for concern.

And sometimes people confuse common sense and cowardice.
What you are describing is called a Chilling Effect. That's exactly what the police are trying to induce.

Baked on Grease

You wouldn't like me then... I bike past a school once a week OCing, and I know people have seen it before, but never a peep as far as I can tell. I also don't live anywhere near the country, plenty of sheeple in Nova to make calls.

Common sense dictates I wear my firearm where it can be seen and easily acceesed, otherwise it's nearly useless to me. I will not live my life being politically correct or expedient from fear of making people nervous or hurting their feelings. That may cause me financial harm and other discomfort from over-zealous "law enforcers" but it's a caclulated risk I am willing to stand for in order to keep what I have from being taken from me and future generations.

Sent using tapatalk

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
QUESTION ONLY --

Is it possible he was within 1000' and not in possession of a concealed handgun permit?

Shoddy reporting, but the only circumstance I can think of that would generate a report like this.

The FGFSZA is not enforceable. I knew right off the bat this was a wrongful application of the CoV.

This was not a valid charge. They've blatantly admitted as much from the get go.

We need to see that the county is sued for wrongful arrest. This cannot be tolerated.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I just found a record of this case in the Chesterfield General District Court records. The alleged offender Aebian Alkabily of Midlothian, has been charged and prosecuted with violation of Virginia Code 18.2-308.1 "Firearm possession at a school". As of the last court date, 4/14/2011, the case has been continued until 5/19/2011 at 8:30 a.m. The case number is #GC11002216-00 and Mr. Alkabily's defense attorney is Peter Baruch. Mr. Alkabily remains in the custody of the county.

He was charged under 18.2-308.1 per my previous post.

*I missed marshaul's revised post.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
He was charged under 18.2-308.1 per my previous post.

*I missed marshaul's revised post.

Yeah for a minute I didn't realize this was the one from last year. The rest of my post still stands.

Deciding not to prosecute isn't good enough. And, frankly, I don't care if their victim was cowed into feeling grateful for the outcome.

He needs to be encouraged to sue. This is intolerable. Wrongful arrest for "nearly" breaking the law? WTF? Jobs should be lost for that.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

First and foremost, this is an OPEN CARRY forum - surely you are not suggesting that member/users here are lacking in common sense are you? Or maybe our forefathers lacked common sense too.

You would seem to offer that guns do not belong near schools - How is that GFSZ thing working out?

Verily, if I were to salute people endorsing/promoting/espousing no guns near schools as "common sense", it would not be with all of the digits on my hand. Woops, slipsy - ignore that.