• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield Parks Wording

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Goochland was tonight and IMO, it didn't do well. I left after a couple of hours of listening to people that shouldn't be in my state...but I'll bet anything it was deferred.

Many of the anti's had a yellow "No to clays" sticker and an orange GSL sticker on. Same story one after another. I'm not anti, I'm a hunter, I'm in the NRA and my favorite...I HAVE A PERMIT.

I have 36 gigs of video to look over but here is a frame grab .

7ac74c66eedb3f20c094a7a77a4f34.png

a583ed11f88f4f2020e91b2b2324f0.png

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Such a long drawn out affair! Now new studies, on site inspections/studies and a more hearings before the Planning Commission. The list of proposed /possible "special conditions" is onerous to a new level of absurdity.

After viewing the antics/presentations of those just saying " No to sporting clays", I now can say I've seen a new benchmark of "No matter how much you polish a t**d, you still end up with a t**d."

I like Hanover and the people there, but this was an embarrassment. Ah well, we have fought longer battles before - we'll be back.

TFred

Some news coverage of the Goochland Planning Commission meeting.

TFred

Today:
http://wtvr.com/2012/09/21/goochland-shooting-range-meeting-clay-shooting-range/

September 12:
http://wtvr.com/2012/09/13/gun-rights-advocates-support-goochland-sporting-clays-range/
http://www.goochlandgazette.com/ind...iew_rezoning_go_to_planning_commission/27947/

Here is a link to Google Maps showing the street address of the facility. Articles say it runs to the south of the road. Note the scale legend for this view. If you can't build a shooting range here, where CAN you build one? Mars?

http://goo.gl/maps/Eg0Sr

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

Here is a link to Google Maps showing the street address of the facility. Articles say it runs to the south of the road. Note the scale legend for this view. If you can't build a shooting range here, where CAN you build one? Mars?
http://goo.gl/maps/Eg0Sr

Thanks TFred - that map makes it graphically clear.

The one comment from a lady opposed that brought a serious guffaw was, "If you can hear a gunshot echo off a tin wall, that is outrageous!" Come on lady, a bird dropping in flight bodily waste will echo off a tin wall. jus' sayin'.

Repeater

Armed Opposition - Oh dear God!

Cautiously optimistic after tonights meeting. The board was receptive to our side and refered the ordinance back to the county attorney for 30 days to research whether the ordinance is even needed and what the proper language should be if they decide to keep it. Phillip pointed out that they can't restrict defensive carry under state law and that if they decided to drop the ordinance completely VCDL would support that option as well. Thanks Phillip. Two other folks besides me and Phillip spoke against the ordinance but i don;t know if they were there for this issue or were just piling on.

Inflammatory much?

Supervisors return gun ordinance for further study
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS, By Michael Buettner - NEWS EDITOR
A seemingly routine proposal to update a county firearms ordinance was sent back for more study by the Board of Supervisors last week after it ran into armed opposition.

When the board opened a public hearing on the proposal last week, the first speaker was Philip Van Cleave, a county resident who is also the president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a group that supports gun rights and opencarry laws.

Van Cleave, who has appeared as a gun-rights advocate on national news programs, said the change in state law was sparked by a case in which “one of our members was unlawfully kicked out of one of our parks.”

The member, who was questioned by police at a park, was found to have a handgun in his vehicle. Although no arrest was made, the case pointed up the ambiguity in the previous state law, Van Cleave said.

Van Cleave supported the ordinance change, though he suggested rewording it to make it clearer that the restriction applies only to people who are actively hunting and still allows them to carry handguns legally for self-defense.

Several members of Van Cleave’s group also attended last week’s meeting, several of them sporting holstered handguns on their belts.

In any case, the article was otherwise fair and balanced:
County Attorney Jeff Mincks said state law would allow the county to delete the ordinance entirely, since that would be less restrictive than the state’s policy.

Midlothian District Supervisor and board Chairman Dan Gecker suggested deferring action on the ordinance change until next month to give the board more time to study the issue.

Vice Chairman and Bermuda District Supervisor Dorothy Jaeckle agreed and said she would also like to know why the county law was written in the first place.

The board voted unanimously to defer the proposal for a month to give county staff time to study it and report back.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here we go with the permits again
:mad:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/19900728/chesterfield-leaders-debate-guns-near-schools
CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - Chesterfield County officials are considering changing a law that prohibits guns near schools.
A section in the Chesterfield county code reads, "No person shall transport, possess, or carry a loaded firearm within 100 yards of any property line of any county public school or county park, except otherwise permitted by state law." County supervisors may consider changing the wording from "No person" to "No hunter," according to the Times Dispatch.
It is just a one word change, but some believe it makes a big difference. If the board decides to amend the county code, then a person who legally owns a gun and has the proper permits can carry a gun near these places as long as they are not hunting.

Overall, board members say safety is the main concern. They plan to review all options, which includes the feedback from a recent public hearing. Some people in the community have asked the board to repeal the code all together so board members certainly have a lot to consider.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Here we go with the permits again
:mad:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/19900728/chesterfield-leaders-debate-guns-near-schools
CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - Chesterfield County officials are considering changing a law that prohibits guns near schools.
A section in the Chesterfield county code reads, "No person shall transport, possess, or carry a loaded firearm within 100 yards of any property line of any county public school or county park, except otherwise permitted by state law." County supervisors may consider changing the wording from "No person" to "No hunter," according to the Times Dispatch.
It is just a one word change, but some believe it makes a big difference. If the board decides to amend the county code, then a person who legally owns a gun and has the proper permits can carry a gun near these places as long as they are not hunting.

Overall, board members say safety is the main concern. They plan to review all options, which includes the feedback from a recent public hearing. Some people in the community have asked the board to repeal the code all together so board members certainly have a lot to consider.

To OC with or w/o a CHP is "permitted by state law." :lol:

Repeal the county ordinance! It is not needed and still penalizes otherwise LACs.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
To OC with or w/o a CHP is "permitted by state law." :lol:

Repeal the county ordinance! It is not needed and still penalizes otherwise LACs.

Always look under the rocks when you're looking for snakes Grape.

Remember the fellow arrested for Jogging past a school and the cop said "Close enough".

I'm sure a lot of Chesterfield Cops have a Bill Mentality, but they can't enforce the GFZ. The way this is worded, they could have their own 100 yard GFZ around any County Property, even when someone was in a car, unless they use the word Hunter.

If they include "Permits" that cinches it as a GFZ and they haven't come up with the final wording yet. The news people got the P word from someone.

TFred

Just once I wish a reporter would write the truth about these kinds of things.

This law, as currently written, clearly violates 15.2-915. Adding the word "hunter" makes it legal because of hunting laws.

It really irks me that these local legislators talk about and act as if they really had a choice here.

TFred

Last edited: