• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Child Attempts to grap pistol out of holster?

KYKevin

imported post

Here is a good youtube video on type 2&3

MKEgal wrote:
OK, I've seen references to the various levels of retention before,
but don't understand what they are. Can anyone point me to a
discussion page, or just explain it to me, please???

Krysta

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
Not to go off topic, but this case makes a good argument for cross draw. Rarely will someone be able to sneak up in front of you and try to mess with your gun. :D
Bingo.

Plus, you are not presenting a 'broadside' if you have to draw. The hip your gun is on is facing where you will be pointing it, so you can turn 'strong side' and actually be strong side, while most people, even cops, don't even realize you're doing it.

Well, maybe that's not a narrower silhouette for some of us, but it is for me... ;-)

My Silent Thunder (Tucker Gun Leather ad above) isn't positive retention, but the fit is so good, you can't get it out if you aren't pulling perfectly straight. They molded it with the gun. The fit is absolute perfection.

I picked up a modified Serpa, just to have it, too (My PT1911AR won't fit in any standard holster off-the shelf).

My son was given no choice about 'fondling' guns. I had him shooting when he was 5. For several years, it was a chore to him. He was irritated with it. No worries about him doing anything stupid with the 3 guns he has now, forget trying to grab someone else's.

Yes, it's our responsibility to maintain retention. But parents could still help their kids by not sucking horribly at being so-called parents.... You teach your kid to look both ways before crossing the street, right? You're primary job as a parent is to teach your children how to avoid harm, right? So, uhm, why the glaring omission?

Maybe we really do need a spawning license?

david.ross

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Keep my arm covering it, to prevent them from actually grabbing it, and politely tell them it's not a toy.
^ THIS

Since I've open carried, 2+ years, I've only had this happen once. The location was the grocery store while I was standing in the checkout line. I had a kid come up to my side and curiously stare at my firearm as if he wanted to touch it. In addition to above, I simply took one step to the side to distance myself.