• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Application question

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by peter nap

I see Hanover is still stepping over the line...Their day is coming soon!

Anyone in Hanover getting ready to apply?

Im getting ready to renew.

Oh goodie - a party and the clerk is invited. :lol:

Seriously, you two need to get together and make plans.

tag

I only skimmed through the responses (I have a final in 10 hours...) so I apologize for not addressing anyone directly, and I know I missed out on a lot of the conversation.

Here's what happened:
I filled out the application and had it notarized at a bank. I also included a list of previous addresses and the certificate for competency. I only had ONE of everything, there were no copies (no envelopes, either). I gave her the application. She asked for my driver's license and made a copy of it to include with the paperwork. I didn't like that they needed a copy of my license, but I didn't feel like arguing. I brought along a copy of my lease and some mail just in case they needed proof of my address (since the residential address I listed and the address on my license don't match), but they said they didn't need that. (For the record, I did change my address online with the DMV this past weekend, and at some point I'll be physically replacing it to match). I'm hoping the address mismatch will be a non-issue. The cost was $15. $15.30 because of a convenience charge for paying with a credit card.

The receipt I was given breaks down the $15.30 as follows:
Code Description
104 SP EXP-TAG/CWP
304 CLERK CIVIL FEE
407 CONVENIENCE FEE

I did not include anything that was listed as .00

tag

Quick update.

I applied the 7th and got a call on the 18th that it was ready to pick up. When I went in to pick it up today, they laminated it for me (free of charge). The entire experience was very pleasant. Well, as pleasant as it can be when paperwork is involved. I'm very glad I applied in Montgomery County and not Fairfax County.

Sidenote: There were camera crews in front of the courthouse when I went. It seems Cody Journell (suspended VT football player) was in court today.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
After July 1, 2012, whole new ballgame. The General Assembly saw the point. See highlighted text in Paragraph D of the code here:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?121+ful+CHAP0291+hil

TFred

On a side note, I saw this highlighted....

11. Any enrolled participant of a firearms training course who is at, or going to or from, a training location, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported.

I think that was because of me! (maybe in part). I suggested this to PVC/VCDL a few years ago. Looks like someone carried it forward! I like it. I can't believe it wasn't there to begin with.