• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP question - Has anyone gotten their CHP within 45 days?

MSC 45ACP

York County

I had mine in 5 days. yes.... five.

They were processing it but they smeared the ink (coffee i believe) and had to rewrite the form. They called me and corrected/confirmed the information. I asked if it was done, and she said yes, she was going to mail them out "asap". I asked if i could drive down and get it. She said SURE!

So.... with that being said, i wonder how long those completed forms sit in the office waiting to be mailed out.

I can't remember exactly how long mine took. I think it was a week or two. I do know for a fact that every application crosses Sheriff Diggs' desk and he approves them and returns them to the courthouse. Of course it all depends on how full his "IN" box is at the time.

PeteXD

Prince William County took 46 to get me mine. And they only got it to me on the 46th because I bitched about it on the 45th day. They suddenly completed it on the 46th day after being bitched at and were going to mail it to me on the 46th day (a Friday) which would have seen me getting a permiton the 48th or later. Didn't complain to anyone after the fact, but I DO believe that prince William county purposely waits the full allotted time... Because my state NCIC background check to buy a pistol takes roughly 30 seconds to clear.

*le sigh*

Pete

hunter45

From Fairfax Circuit Court CHP info .pdf:

If you have not received mailed notification about your permit forty-five (45) days from the date you submitted the application to the Circuit Court, you may call Civil Case Information at 703-691-7320, press 3, 1, 0.

That is what I did last year and ended up getting my CHP a few hours later at the courthouse.

I just called that number and they said the mailed my CHP out today. So they mailed it on day 47. I won't get it until day 48 or day 49.

Last edited:

Hoplite

I just called that number and they said the mailed my CHP out today.

Translation: "I'm mailing it out today because you called and now I'm looking through the piles on my desk and stuffing it into the SASE you sent (even though the law doesn't require this but it means less work for my lazy ass) and if I don't forget to drop it in the mail on my way to my smoke break, it might go out today."

Everything on your application will have dates showing when it was completed (e.g., VSP background check, judge's signature, etc.). Five bucks says it was done weeks ago and was just waiting for the clerk to fold it up and stuff it in the envelope you provided.

hunter45

Translation: "I'm mailing it out today because you called and now I'm looking through the piles on my desk and stuffing it into the SASE you sent (even though the law doesn't require this but it means less work for my lazy ass) and if I don't forget to drop it in the mail on my way to my smoke break, it might go out today."

My thoughts exactly.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just called that number and they said the mailed my CHP out today. So they mailed it on day 47. I won't get it until day 48 or day 49.

Well if you just have to have it today:banghead:

March down to the clerks office and demand they endorse your application. Then you can CC.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Remember that fact the next time there's an election for Circuit Court Clerk...and maybe send the current Clerk a letter explaining why you, your family ,friends, and co-workers will not be voting for him in the next election.

sidestreet

Got mine back in the mail in five work days...,

but that was back when VA first became "Shall Issue", and I lived in Hanover. When I renewed (still in Hanover), it took the full forty five days, and I was on the verge of making a personal appearance at the county complex when I checked the mail and there it was.

By the way, I think Proshooter just made an awesome suggestion, and one that should be followed.

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Badger Johnson

My partner got hers in the 30 day range (Spotsylvania). At day 44 when I hadn't gotten mine I called and the clerk said she hadn't had time to mail it out, it had been ready for 10 days and was sitting in her out basket.

I went over to the courthouse and she was sitting jabbering with a co-worker and Google was up on her computer. She got huffy and went and got it and I asked for the 'letter' which went with it (my partner got a nice letter on letterhead saying she was approved). She acted like she didn't know WTF I was talking about and just gave me the permit and said I could get it laminated in the other room and went back to talking to her co-worker. She did not ask for ID.

chammer

Just wanted to post an update. My CHP was home waiting for me last night when I got home from work. I applied on the 1st, so that's roughly 13-14 days I suppose give or take a day for mail and assuming they didn't start processing it until the 2nd. Not bad!

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
In Goochland it depends. The judge only does them once a month, so if you hand it in a few days before the judge does it and they haven't done the background check, its going to take over 30 days.

supranite90

I did not know that...Today would be day 45 for me then...guess im calling the courts tomorrow

Last edited: