• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP question

TexasNative

imported post

Wow, that's a pretty facile view of our rights.

So how is it a right if the government can take it away?

TexasNative

imported post

Then you believe differently from most folks here. If the government can take it away, it's not a right, it's a privilege. You use it only at the government's pleasure.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Many of us chafe at the fact that we have to get the government's permission to carry a firearm in any way we see fit. When you start stacking on more and more requirements, it gives the government more opportunities to interfere with our rights.

And a question leaps to mind: why should range training be REQUIRED to carry concealed, and yet not a requirement to carry openly? That just sounds silly to me.

So when you say range time or demonstrated proficiency should be added to the requirements for exercising our God-given rights, a lot of us will disagree with you, vehemently so.

Yes, we feel everyone who carries a firearm should be competent to do so. We just feel that the government has no business forcing that requirement on us.

~ Boyd
+1

I need to program a macro on my computer thats types out "Ed agrees with what Boyd just said..."

AJG

imported post

Well no matter what its called, isnt that what it is then? They can take it away.... we can scream, fight, hide and run. But if they take it away then legally we cannot do it. Will we still? A PRESOUNDING YES. But nevertheless.... the right will still be gone. Hense why it isnt a God Given Right, because God Given Rights CANT be taken away.

AJG

imported post

I go back to a question I wanted to posed a few posts back but I guess I went of in a different direction, Can anyone show me the God Given Right to Keep and Bear Arms? Where besides in the Constitution are God Given Rights allueded too? 2nd Ammendment doesnt state that the RIght to Bear Arms is a God Given Right. The Declaration Of Independance states 3: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. The Constitution? Does it State Any? What about these for example, in the Bible, God spells out what rights Israel may enjoy, from birthrights to a right to life to a right to a fair trial before judges, the justness of monarchy, slavery, genocide, polygamy, killing disrespectful children. WOW

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

By definition, rights, whether you call them God-given or not, can NEVER be taken away from you. They are yours as a birthright. Governments, however, have a very predictable tendency to strip people of the FREEDOM to exercise their rights. The founding fathers recognized this, which is why they mentioned the right to keep and bear arms in the Bill of Rights. They predicted the gov't might try to limit or forbid the practice of that right, hence the warning to government not to mess with the right (the 2nd amendment). There are NO constitutionally given rights, since the constitution was never thought of as a means of granting rights. That is impossible since the rights in question are inherent and universal. The founding fathers understood this as well, but you still hear people talking about how the Bill of Rights "grants" this or that right. Totally illogical, but commonplace just the same.:banghead:

In any event, remember: The consitution doesn't give rights, governments can't take them away, but they might try to take away our liberty to enjoy our rights, so we need to be ever vigilent, in order to head this off!

Rant over.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
By definition, rights, whether you call them God-given or not, can NEVER be taken away from you. They are yours as a birthright. Governments, however, have a very predictable tendency to strip people of the FREEDOM to exercise their rights. The founding fathers recognized this, which is why they mentioned the right to keep and bear arms in the Bill of Rights. They predicted the gov't might try to limit or forbid the practice of that right, hence the warning to government not to mess with the right (the 2nd amendment). There are NO constitutionally given rights, since the constitution was never thought of as a means of granting rights. That is impossible since the rights in question are inherent and universal. The founding fathers understood this as well, but you still hear people talking about how the Bill of Rights "grants" this or that right. Totally illogical, but commonplace just the same.:banghead:

In any event, remember: The consitution doesn't give rights, governments can't take them away, but they might try to take away our liberty to enjoy our rights, so we need to be ever vigilent, in order to head this off!

Rant over.
+6 (Constitutional Scholars in my home) :)