• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Parks

Vegassteve

Mac, good to know. I know it was knocked down but then another one passed that was similar but I did not realize it is pretty much ignored. Come to think of it I dont recall seeing signs on the schools either unless I am missing it. I kbow in California it is posted on the school itself as well as sign posts surrounding the school.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

just remember in NV not to set foot on school property though.

Speedywrx

Centennial Hills Park is a city park, but there is a school right next to the park... thoughts on this one? Would be school there prohibit you from OC'ing? Or do you think the park and school are seperate?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Parks are often adjacent, as both are public lands, but it should be easy to tell that it is a separate park from the school grounds. The school next door won't be the issue, but the fact that the park is run by the city means you are risking illegal harassment.

Speedywrx

Thanks, MAC. The city law is now stating that as long as you're following State laws, it's ok to carry in city parks (see a few posts above).

My concern was with the school. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

I carry in Henderson parks next to schools all the time. In fact, we have had a couple OC picnics in a park next to a school. I even invited the Chief of Police to the first one, she didn't show though. The police patrol that park constantly and never said a word. It is a non-issue.

TBG

MaxPower

Anyone had a chance to check out a City Parks rule sign to see what they are now saying about firearms in the park?

This is a sign at the City of Las Vegas park at Washington and Cimmaron.

e7nr54.jpg

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thanks. And 13.36.020 (D) says:
The prohibition set forth in Paragraph (6) of Subsection (A) shall not apply to:
(1)
Activities specifically approved under this Chapter in connection with a particular event;
(2)
The possession of firearms that is otherwise permitted by State law; or
(3)
The possession of a concealed weapon by a person who holds a valid permit to do so that has been issued under, or is recognized pursuant to, the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369.

I agree it should be clear that carrying, including openly without a permit, is legal. It's so clear that it SHOULD be easy to train the police on it.

28kfps

Looks like we are good to go for an open carry BBQ in a Las Vegas City park. I too wonder why they have to make it so difficult to understand what it is saying. I contend most park users will see only four words "Firearm and weapons prohibited". I guess they like having the opportunity being summons to check on a man with a legal gun as a park goers see these 4 words and calls 911 on a legal carried firearm.
They must have trained lawyers to figure out ways to add the word prohibited to the statement legal carried firearms are ok.
With that said at least it is one small victory.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I suppose it might be a good idea not to carry any pocket knives, though. If we are going to be test cases, we'd better have really clean noses. I am not an expert on local knife laws, and they are not covered in state preemption.

CowboyKen

I suppose it might be a good idea not to carry any pocket knives, though. If we are going to be test cases, we'd better have really clean noses. I am not an expert on local knife laws, and they are not covered in state preemption.

IANAL and this is not legal advise!

Blade length must be less then three inches.

===========================================

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16214&stateId=28&stateName=Nevada
http://library.municode.com/HTML/16...T12PUPESAMO_CH12.04FIAIGU_12.04.180COWEPRWIPE

12.04.180 Concealed weapons prohibited without permit.
It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, capable of being concealed, without first having received written permission therefor from the sheriff.

(Ord. 242 § 18, 1965)

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14787&stateId=28&stateName=Nevada
http://library.municode.com/HTML/14787/level3/TIT10PUPEMOWE_DIVIXWE_CH10.70DADEWE.html#TOPTITLE
10.70.010 Defined.
"Dangerous or deadly weapons" includes, but it not limited to:
(A) Any dirk or dagger;
(B) Any knife with a blade three inches or more in length;

=============================================

Ken

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
But there is no preemption for the parks not to say "no weapons" and have that include all knives, that I can see.

CowboyKen

But there is no preemption for the parks not to say "no weapons" and have that include all knives, that I can see.

Mac,

You may be correct, but as I read the definition a knife with a blade of less then three inches is not a "weapon." JMO of course.

Ken

mp06011999

FWIW, an out-of-state-resident friend and I oc'd in Floyd Lamb about a year ago during one of their farmer's market events. Lots of people and lots of looks. No comments that I can recall. Uneventful 3 hours or so.

I live next to this City Park and so we walked over through a horse trail that goes in the back. Walked the entire park. Visited the Farmer's Market booths for over an hour and walked out the front gates past the guard shack. I suggested we walk in case we did get arrested we wouldn't have to worry about a car. Nothing happened.

I was unaware at the time that the City and County were ignoring State Preemption laws and so I really didn't expect anything to happen.

Around that same time that friend and I also oc'd up at Mount Charleston just walking around. Lots of folks were sledding at roadside areas and noticed our oc. We also open carried into the restaurant. No issues.

Last edited:

28kfps

FWIW, an out-of-state-resident friend and I oc'd in Floyd Lamb about a year ago during one of their farmer's market events. Lots of people and lots of looks. No comments that I can recall. Uneventful 3 hours or so.

I live next to this City Park and so we walked over through a horse trail that goes in the back. Walked the entire park. Visited the Farmer's Market booths for over an hour and walked out the front gates past the guard shack. I suggested we walk in case we did get arrested we wouldn't have to worry about a car. Nothing happened.

I was unaware at the time that the City and County were ignoring State Preemption laws and so I really didn't expect anything to happen.

Around that same time that friend and I also oc'd up at Mount Charleston just walking around. Lots of folks were sledding at roadside areas and noticed our oc. We also open carried into the restaurant. No issues.

I have been up on Mount Charleston open carrying and had dinner a few times in the upper lodge OCing no issue either.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Mac,

You may be correct, but as I read the definition a knife with a blade of less then three inches is not a "weapon." JMO of course.

Ken

Interesting "point." I will reiterate that I am in no way an expert on knife laws, but just think we should make damn sure we aren't violating any other "weapons" laws while asserting our right to carry a firearm, which is protected.