• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Springs OC Meet (July 16th) and helping a fellow OC'er

Cesar A

Fun times helping out another member!

It was indeed a fun time with our Skald, BBQ and good weather, and good people. I also look foward to the National Forests and hopefully other fun OC meet ups like today. Like I said if you guys need anything PM me and I'll do my best to help out; and DO POST our pics!!! time to show our other members how fun it can be when we support each other especially when our support for the constitution cost us our living quaters, jobs or our freedom is some cases.

AIRBORNE!

M-Taliesin

A Moving Experience with Open Carry!

Howdy Folks!
Here are a few photos from yesterday's moving day to support Since9. We had a posse of armed men toting boxes down from his
THIRD FLOOR apartment to the truck. Some of us brought hand trucks and dollies, but stairs are rough and some of our
equipment not up to scratch. My own dolly had a wheel break off. There was an applicance dolly that proved more useless than
combat boots on a ballerina. But everybody worked hard and soon cleared the old apartment and got that truck loaded. Somewhere
along the line, Since9 made the mistake of leaving a guitar within easy reach, and I fondled it. After getting it tuned, I ripped out a
tune or two. Then I got to feeling guilty of shirking the actual work to be done and got back to cracking the back and toting them
boxes!

After we got the old apartment emptied out, Since9 treated us to lunch at a local Bar-B-Que establishment nearby.
That's Since9 to the left, along with Polynikes.

2820511690100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

Polynikes and Gordyelement watch as Since9 decides on what to order for the group. It was real nice of Since9 to put on a feed
for those of us that turned out to volunteer.

2008136470100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

jskp229 and Cesar A listen as the conversation at our table proved lively!

2461623630100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

From left to right around the table: jskp229, Cesar A, Since9 (nearest the window), Polynikes
and Gordyelement. The empty seat is mine, but my camera doesn't have a wide angle lense.

2591224570100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

Back to work, we are joined by Littleman (black shirt) who pitched in to help unload the truck
at the new location. Of course, the burning question of the day was a simple one:
"Is the new apartment on the THIRD FLOOR also?" There was almost a communal sigh
of relief when we learned it was on ground level! The rest of the chore went quickly!

2112014220100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

jskp229 did yoeman's work in the truck. He packed the boxes in and arranged them in great
order on the loading end, and did fantastic getting everything to the back of the truck for
unloading on the other end. He did an incredible job of getting stuff organized and made the
job much easier for unloading. Notice two hand trucks in the foreground. Notice also that
nasty blue appliance truck cast aside in the distance. That thing was about as handy as a
flood at the Alka Seltzer factory. It was more useless than a diving board over a cesspool.
Thse and similar remarks were heard after it was used only once and took two men to get
the darn thing down the staris. And the turning radius was about as good as you'd expect
from a 1967 Ford Fairlane! In fact, I believe the fairlane would have cornered better going
down three flights of stairs!

2745511900100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

Polynikes gives a wide grin at something Gordyelement must have said. Littleman is in the middle
and Since9 can barely be seen inside the garage toward the back.

2277222500100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

Since9 supervises as Cesar A take hold of another box and Gordyelement reaches into the
truck for another one to tote. Littleman and Polynikes are in the background in this shot.

2983764190100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

Best look at Littleman, looking stylish with cross draw holster as Cesar A takes another box
from the truck and Polynikes loads another box onto a hand truck.

2443611250100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

Littleman is probably asking himself what on earth he's signed up for while Cesar A takes another
box from the truck and you can barely see Gordyelement as he moves around his hand truck.

2064885980100192736S600x600Q85.jpg

The day was a great one. We all worked up a real profound understanding of how much we hate
moving, and found ourselves dripping in sweat. I saw the temperature after we just finished was
reading 87 degrees. I'm sure it got hotter earlier in the day.

The food we shared was terrific, and I look forward to visiting Colorado Springs with my wife so
she can try out that Bar-B-Que place. But even more terrific was the OC'ers who came out to
support another OC'er in a time of need. Each one volunteered time, sweat, effort and hard
work to get the job done. We carried out shooting irons openly on our hips as we worked and
ate, and had a great time talking about topics ranging from politics to neutron weapons and
charged particle beam technology. Obama got thumped right along with George W. Bush, and
the war in Iraq got pretty good discussion too. The point is, we had a terrific time together.
Jokes were manifest (mostly because I manifested them) and we shared a day of work and
laughter together.

Gotta tell ya folks! This is a wonderful group of guys. I look foward to getting together with
them in the near future and maybe going to the national forest for a day of shooting.

It is one thing to brag about being part of the OC community. It is entirely another thing
to put that sense of community to action and joining with other OC'ers to accomplish an
aim (pun intended) or enjoy an afternoon of shooting and comradarie.

In short, it was a terrific day with outstanding men who did an excellent job and had a
whole bunch of fun along with the effort involved.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think my back can use an Excederin!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

Lokster

Looks like a very successful move and a lot of fun, too! Sorry I couldn't make it. Hopefully a lot of you guys will be able to make it over to Belmar next Sunday. We still have to iron out some details about the when and where of the meet.

gordyelement

Nice pictures, and it was a great time. It was nice meeting everyone and getting a good introduction to the OC community in the area. I was very pleased the new apartment was on the first floor, I think that made everyones day HA. I do look forward to a shooting day with everyone up at the forest. I'll finally buy some rounds for my Lee Enfield for the first time in awhile. If anyone else needs help or anything feel free to PM or email me.

Polynikes

Well, everyone else has already said it, but I'll just reiterate. It was great to meet everyone of you who showed up, and I can honestly say that that's probably the most fun I've ever had hauling boxes down 3 flights of stairs. Looking forward to the next OC meet.

*edit* Also, I hope you all noticed from the pictures, but there's no definitive proof that I actually did ANY work. I might have given the illusion of working while I was there, but I think the photographic evidence speaks for itself. :D:monkey

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

*edit* Also, I hope you all noticed from the pictures, but there's no definitive proof that I actually did ANY work. I might have given the illusion of working while I was there, but I think the photographic evidence speaks for itself. :D:monkey

Howdy Amigo!
Nice try, but you're busted! I saw you actually working. So that blows the whole "illusion of working" theory right down the tubes.
Sorry, but there were just too many witnesses who saw you pick up and move things around. And they'd testify if asked that you
did a heap of work and surely hauled your share of boxes down them darn stairs. Along with helping to stuff boxes into the garage.
And the many items you hauled into the new apartment. So there ya are. Can't get around the facts. You worked just as hard as
we did, and got every bit as sweaty!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

I was very pleased the new apartment was on the first floor, I think that made everyones day HA.

Howdy Pard!
Yeah, I can attest to the delight I felt knowing we wouldn't be taking stuff up three flights of stairs at the new apartment. Bringing all that stuff down three flights of stairs was bad enough... but fighting gravity in the bargain? I'd have been truly bummed out. And it takes a whole heap of misery to bum me out!

I am looking forward to gathering up for a shoot one of these nice summer days in the near future. Hope to see you guys there!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I was just looking at the pictures one more time, and noticed all them muscles that got worked out.
As I said before, I ain't all that muscular, but I am ambitious. I think I did my fair share. Besides, I
was the only git-picker to strum out a tune during the day.

This was a really fun event, despite the heat of the day and the chore we handled. We still managed
to have a ton of fun. And not a single accidental discharge in the group either.

Since9 has thanked everybody who helped him in this move, but I think I owe him a "thank you" for
the opportunity to meet up with some really great guys and share an afternoon working together to
get the job done. It was fun, and I hope we all can count one another as friends.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

gordyelement

A thank you to Since9 is for sure in order. I think its safe to say that the moving day is one of the more unique OC'ing get togethers I've heard of. I hope to shoot with you all before I deploy late winter.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks, Gordy. I've spent the last week unpacking boxes, cleaning, and settling in. Fortunately, they chose to refund most of my security deposit, all except $60 for a carpet cleaning. Despite the fact I spent close to four hours on it with spot cleaner and a Bissel spray/vac system, there was one large area looking worse for wear.

In the meantime, I'm down to half a dozen boxes left for the inside. Once I finish those, I can tackle the ones in the garage! (ugh...)

I really hate moving. 20 years as a Navy brat. 20 more years in the military. I thought I was done with moving. Fortunately, the place I moved into here is like night and day compared to the other place. Externally, they look very much the same, but the quality of the management and the neighbors is head and shoulders above the old place.

Thanks again, all. This is turning out to be a major blessing in disguise. :D