• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry across state lines

DaveT319

You left them out twice after I mentioned it twice. Maybe because they don't fit into your idea of the constitution being a document granting the feds the power rule the states.

You are really hung up on this. I didn't "leave them out", let alone twice. You mentioned them. I didn't list a handful of rights again since then. What, is the problem that I didn't specifically address them? Yes, powers not specifically delegated to the feds through the Constitution are left to the states. But our RIGHTS are not POWERS. They are universal. States don't get to pick and choose if they will honor our rights. No state can say that our 4th Amendment right is invalid when visiting their land. They can't deny someone their 1st Amendment right simply for being from another state. The same MUST hold true for the 2nd.

sudden valley gunner

You are really hung up on this. I didn't "leave them out", let alone twice. You mentioned them. I didn't list a handful of rights again since then. What, is the problem that I didn't specifically address them? Yes, powers not specifically delegated to the feds through the Constitution are left to the states. But our RIGHTS are not POWERS. They are universal. States don't get to pick and choose if they will honor our rights. No state can say that our 4th Amendment right is invalid when visiting their land. They can't deny someone their 1st Amendment right simply for being from another state. The same MUST hold true for the 2nd.

OK maybe I need to start from square one.

Where do our rights come from?

Who does the constitution apply to in its original context?

Do you believe the numbered rights are special above other rights?

Can a state not have a state religion because of the federal constitution?

CitizenJohn

U.S. Code > Title 18 > Part 1 > Chapter 44 > § 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms:
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

So, to be square with the U.S. Code, when travelling by vehicle, would I have to unload my handgun and put it and the ammo in my trunk before I cross the border between Washington and Oregon even though I have a concealed handgun permit for both states?

nonameisgood

What you quote relates to all states and is intended to allow transport into and through states where transport would otherwise be prohibited by state law. Where the laws are more permissive, you can abide by relevant state laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk