• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry - Assembly - Live Commentary - 6-21-2011 - it's starting right now

DangerClose

Pridemore voted "No" and Stone didn't vote. We WILL remember this during the next election.... :mad:

Pridemore gave a good reason for voting no, though, didn't he? He's also the one who sponsored bill LRB 2054 which is almost the same thing except for no database. http://donpridemore.files.wordpress...stitutional-concealed-carry-press-release.pdf

After posting this, I'm going to go back to earlier in this thread to find the statement someone posted from him. The only reason I can see he's against this bill is the police database.

Come election time, all candidates will have to be looked at on this issue -- for whether they wanted constitutional but "had to" settle for this, or if they wanted this in the first place. I still don't understand how the permits and absurd police database got added so quickly in the Finance committee. From the reading I've done, Fitzgerald had a lot to do with that.

jpm84092

CONGRATULATIONS WISCONSIN - But the Fight Is Not Over

CONGRATULATIONS WISCONSIN - I can't wait to come back and join you in celebration. Allow me to be one of the first to Welcome the State of Wisconsin into the fold of "Shall Issue" concealed carry permit States. It has been a long time in coming.

However, DO NOT GIVE UP THE FIGHT.

The priorities (as I see them):

1) Constitutional Carry with optional permit system in place. (Just like AK, AZ, & WY). VT never did issue permits.

2) Castile Doctrine - with the doctrine extending to your "place of residence", your property up to and including your property line, your place of business, and your car when you or another person is in it (just like UT).

3) Presumption of a violent felony in progress for home intruders who invade your place of residence by violent force or by stealth and the right to use deadly force against such low life creatures (just like UT).

4) Elimination of the Federal Gun Free School Zone including inside the school building for optional permit holders (just like UT).

5) Elimination of "gun free zones" except for those buildings deemed Federal Facilities under Federal Firearms Law (eg: Post Offices, Federal Administrative Buildings, etc - that use metal detectors to enforce their gun free zones) and State and local Court Facilities (unless permitted by the Judge in charge). - And of course local, State, and Federal Jails, mental health facilities that house the criminally insane, and federal and state prisons. (Even the local LEO's cannot carry in these places.)

6) WI recognizes all out of state permits (just like IA, UT, and a host of other states). - Thus insuring the maximum amount of reciprocity given the limitations of the Wisconsin "training" requirement.(NV and FL may never grant reciprocity without a live fire exercise.) Still, FL may anyway, They recognize UT resident permits without a live fire exercise.

7) WI issues non-resident permits and thus reduces their administrative costs. After all, a UT or FL permit gets access to almost all of the "shall issue" states. WI is just missing revenue opportunity by limiting their permit to residents.

This is the end of my "rant". But the message is clear - CONGRATULATIONS WISCONSIN - home of my birth and my early years.

Carry on - Proudly Carry On - And when the Governor signs, and the Bill becomes Law, you can carry open or concealed as your choices and circumstances dictate. This is a GOOD THING.

Teej

Hold the phone...

Something doesn't compute here...

Catey Doyle....sister of the ex Gov....chief staff Atty. for Milwaukee Legal Aid....who in the JS article sounds to be against the law...

voted for it, according to the assembly records....?

Makes ya go huh?!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
M

McX

Dave, any word on how the no-permit car carry thing finally went?: unloaded and encased, the locked thing was dropped?

davegran

Don't trip jumping through that hoop....

Dave, any word on how the no-permit car carry thing finally went?: unloaded and encased, the locked thing was dropped?
Paul is the resident statute interpreter... I'll defer to him. I believe that the lock thing is a Federal requirement that has always been in effect but nobody observed or was aware of it. Paul will shed some light on it. Better to just jump through the hoops and get a ste-e-enking permit....

M

McX

Paul is the resident statute interpreter... I'll defer to him. I believe that the lock thing is a Federal requirement that has always been in effect but nobody observed or was aware of it. Paul will shed some light on it. Better to just jump through the hoops and get a ste-e-enking permit....

thanks Dave, i will consult with GodBunny on this.

protias

There are a few more than Paul. :p

logables

The permit system surely does not stink. It will be the law shortly and will be for a very long time. My opinion.

protias

The permit system surely does not stink. It will be the law shortly and will be for a very long time. My opinion.
So will criminals go through a background check? Why do law abiding citizens? Why are we treated worse than the criminal?

davegran

You have much to learn, grasshopper....

It's a private joke between me and McX, son; ste-e-enking is a term of affection on this forum.... But then you wouldn't know that because you are too busy educating us.... :monkey

logables

So will criminals go through a background check? Why do law abiding citizens? Why are we treated worse than the criminal?

Nobody is forcing you to get a permit. If you do not wish to participate, simply do not. According to your post you would be better off not getting a permit. My opinion.

logables

It's a private joke between me and McX, son; ste-e-enking is a term of affection on this forum.... But then you wouldn't know that because you are too busy educating us.... :monkey

Whatever, but the upcoming permit system still does not stink. It is reasonable and necessary. If you and the other guy like stink, that is perfectly fine by me. My opinion.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Whatever, but the upcoming permit system still does not stink. It is reasonable and necessary. If you and the other guy like stink, that is perfectly fine by me. My opinion.

I was going to stay out of this, but I just can't.

How and why is asking permission to exercise a guaranteed right ok? My next goal that I would like to see met is to remove the permitting process.

Instead of putting law-abiding citizens on a list, how about they focus on the criminals instead!

cudahogs

I fully agree with you. While it is a victory, you have to step back and look at what we have achieved here: we can be given permission to carry out rights guaranteed by both the US and state constitutions. The fight is definitely not over but we should celebrate getting over the first hurdle.

logables

I was going to stay out of this, but I just can't.

How and why is asking permission to exercise a guaranteed right ok? My next goal that I would like to see met is to remove the permitting process.

Instead of putting law-abiding citizens on a list, how about they focus on the criminals instead!

If you are so passionate about your 2A rights, I guess you might not be getting a permit as that would be compromising your interpretation of your 2A rights. It is so very simple, nobody is forcing you to participate in the permitting process. My opinion.

sassie lassie

Annette Olson - who is she?

For all of you that were posting yesterday during the public hearing on SB 131, you made me laugh! Thank you for your compliments. They were fun to read. There is no little icon that I can see that shows a little smiley, blushing.

I never really believed that old saying that one person can make a difference, well since I have been involved in the cause of restoring our Constitutional Right to Carry, I believe!

The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of government.