• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Outfits for Women

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Hello all....new here. I found this site and thread while looking for holsters for women.

Being an older woman, I have a "H" body type, big boned and not very 'hippy". So I don't wear "fashionably tight jeans or slacks. Especially those with added "hips". On me they jut out like "wings" or jodphurs . Even as a teen, finding clothes that "fit" was a problem (and this when "Twiggy" was the rage)

Although this may sound easy for me to carry a holster made for a man's physique, I can and yet can't. Like most women, I am short waisted.

At present my favorite pistol is a Charter Arms 44 spl. 3" that I bought decades ago. I switched the shorter wooden grips to a pair of Pachmeyers shortly after buying it. My old leather holster was made by my husband but it canted too sharply and didn't flatten against my body very well. So, I am looking at trying to find a suitable outside and/or inside the pants holster. Any tips?

DesertRose - welcome!

I'm with you. "H" body type (with an extra bit of padding on the gut!). I like the JBP Sleeping Dog dual-use holster, which I can carry IWB in jeans, with or without a belt, or OWB on a belt.

I find it easiest to carry it appendix carry IWB when I want to conceal, but since I carry openly most of the time, I can use it OWB. It will even, in a pinch, work IWB but openly, such as when I'm in dress pants.

Good luck.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Hello all....new here. I found this site and thread while looking for holsters for women.

Being an older woman, I have a "H" body type, big boned and not very 'hippy". So I don't wear "fashionably tight jeans or slacks. Especially those with added "hips". On me they jut out like "wings" or jodphurs . Even as a teen, finding clothes that "fit" was a problem (and this when "Twiggy" was the rage)

Although this may sound easy for me to carry a holster made for a man's physique, I can and yet can't. Like most women, I am short waisted.

At present my favorite pistol is a Charter Arms 44 spl. 3" that I bought decades ago. I switched the shorter wooden grips to a pair of Pachmeyers shortly after buying it. My old leather holster was made by my husband but it canted too sharply and didn't flatten against my body very well. So, I am looking at trying to find a suitable outside and/or inside the pants holster. Any tips?

Welcome!

My top three favorite holster brands are Crossbreed, Tague and Blackhawk. There are many different types available, you just have to find which one best suits your needs. Good luck!

DesertRose

Thanks for the welcome Tess and PistolPackingMomma for your holster suggestions and will look into into these.

PistolPackingMomma, I didn't see the separate Holsters board until after posting here. Then had to go offline. However, from past experience, generally it's men posting in Gun forums and extremely few women. When I saw your thread through a "search", it was one of the reasons that drew me to coming here. :)

PistolPackingMomma

Well, I finally got my thigh holster in a few weeks ago, and got around to taking some pictures for y'all. I ordered it from Dove Holsters, it cost about $77 with S/H, and took about 3-5 weeks (IIRC) for them to make and mail it from the time I ordered it. They say on their website it can take a lot longer, but I guess that's part of the whole "under promise and over deliver" thing.

dovethighholster1.jpg

This holster was made for my Bersa Thunder CC.

dovethighholster2.jpg

The only thing it lacks is some form of retention; generally it's not an issue, but you definitely don't want to sit on your butt with your knees up. The gun can and will slide out. I've not had any retention problems standing, sitting or walking so far.

dovethighholster3.jpg

It's pretty dang comfortable for a thigh rig, and semi adjustable.

dovethighholster4.jpg

I can generally wear this for most of the day before I even begin to feel like taking it off. I can sit and walk without any issues or discomfort while wearing it, and the quality is pretty good.

dovethighholster5.jpg

Holster in action, sans gun.

thighholster1.jpg

I think positioning is a big part of comfort and concealment; when I wear it in that "sweet" spot, I don't have to worry about it poking through my dress/skirt, and the mag well isn't stabbing me in the other leg.

thighholster2.jpg

I don't have my gun for these pictures only because my husband borrowed it for the day.

thighholster3.jpg

A better view of how it 'functions'. There's a second garter strap on the back of my leg.

thighholster4.jpg

All in all, I'm very satisfied with it. It holds up well, it's comfortable, and it was pretty affordable for a custom made holster. I definitely recommend Dove Holsters.

PistolPackingMomma

Thanks for posting these. I'm always looking for ideas. Seeing a holster modeled on a person is much better than flipping through web pages on a site.

I was about to ask if you were her. I've watched some of her videos and she's modeled the same holsters.

Thanks! I'm glad to help :)

No, I'm not FaliaPhotography, but I'm a big fan of her videos. I did get quite a few ideas from her!

Cool story; the other day we were in a gun shop buying some accessories for my new gun, and I got to talking to an older woman purchasing a Beretta Tomcat. She was completely shocked that I was concealing a 3" 1911 in the small of my back while wearing shorts, a fitted tank and a loose crochet sleeveless vest. I told her it was all about finding the right holster and having a good gun belt. She said she was going to start looking for some better holsters, thanks to our talk.

:monkey:monkey:monkey

Last edited:

protias

Thanks for posting these. I'm always looking for ideas. Seeing a holster modeled on a person is much better than flipping through web pages on a site.

I was about to ask if you were her. I've watched some of her videos and she's modeled the same holsters.

And I can assure you I am not FaliaPhotography either. Probably due to my different anatomy. :p