• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confusion over WY Open Carry restriction

Ranger1

imported post

I have called the Pine Bluffs Police Department to verify the information that I have read on this forum. They have neglected to contact for nearly a week. when i called the dispatcher simply said "what is this about" when i told her she said " oh another call about that!"I will try to call them again. What could they be hiding? And as for the Pistol Club being such a great place what does that have to do with OPEN CARRY IN TOWN, I have no doubt that no has ever encountered a problem with open carry at the pistol range, I mean after all it is a GUN RANGE!!! :)

Arkyhog

imported post

Yeah, that is what I am getting out of the whole local government there. They are horrified tourists may be avoiding their town, but they don't want to let these tourists exercise their rights. They seem to believe in the Second Amendment, but only while shooting skeet.

Mjolnir

imported post

Pine bluffs is a really small town with 1-2 (or possibly 3 now) police if that many a couple gas stations that double as truck stops and only a couple resturants & a subway & A&W last time we were there (a few years ago). Was not really worth stopping as the A&W had gone downhill in quality and service.

The fire department does not help the ambulance guys and they are always fighting it would not be a good place to live if you ever need fire or medical help.

In the grand scheme of things up there in Wyoming pine bluf is insignifiant but needs to realize they can not make up rules as they go along for political reasons but they need to obey and follow state rules and laws.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I just got off the phone with Mr. Benjamin Cossel of the Pine Bluffs Post. It was a very pleasant conversation, and he informed me that he had gotten calls from Wyoming as well as from all around the U.S. He sounded like a well informed individual.

If you call, don't get on his case -he is simply reporting the news!!

Mr. Cossel did inform me that the section of Pine Bluffslaw he cited in the article was not the correctone. The article identifies 8-115(A)(d), but he said the correct sections were actually subsection (c) and (e).

Subsection (c) identifies various sorts of "weapons" and subsection (e) disallows open carry of same.

Mr. Cossel also said that he intends to do a follow-up article on thematter, seemingly because of or in reference toinformationabout statewide preemption.

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

This is just unreal...I was born and raised in Cheyenne...I had no idea things headed south? How is it possible that I can OC daily in Arizona/Phoenix area...like the 5th largest city in the country..but can't in Cheyenne or in Pine Bluffs which if you aren't looking carefully you will pass it? I am really confused about how this is possible. Is it true, like Glenn Beck demonstrated, that people are shredding the frign constitution?

I wonder if lawsuit's can be placed against the city? I am so tired of this.

AB

imported post

Pine Bluffs, I thought we were in Wyoming not New Jersey?

On the surface Pine Bluffs seems like a typical Wyoming rural town with it's western appeal and weekend rodeo during the summer months, but don't be fooled, the town officials have taken a strong position against your constitutional rights, it seems that they have decided to interpret the law in a New Jersey fashion.

You should be offended that a Wyoming town has accepted the philosophy that a disarmed public is somehow safer.

All evidence proves otherwise, if you control the guns of law abiding citizen's you have an open invitation to the thugs. What you are really saying about this community is "we are a gun-free zone". That has been done outside of Wyoming and clearly gun-control never controls crime, in fact it does just the opposite.

The Wyoming Constitution clearly states, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in the defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied."

It appears that the powers that be in Pine Bluffs would just as well re-write our constitution and other state laws that grant the rights to Wyoming citizens.

8-115 (a) (d) is specifically about concealed carry and has nothing to do about open carry and it should be noted that Pine Bluffs has ignored the fact that just 40 miles away in Cheyenne there is a similar law in place, however it has been interpreted properly and open carry is permissable in city limits.

Why would Pine Bluffs support the out-of-state anti-gun agenda?, Mayor Leonard Anderson and the Town Council should take great care when it comes to your constitutional rights.

A new website,
pinebluffswy.org will explain the anti-gun agenda to the general public, also WyGO has made preliminary agreements with land owners to place billboard signs on both sides of the town on I-80, No Guns - No Money, Drive Thru Pine Bluffs, ultimately we hope that they reconsider before itcomes to that.

Pine Bluffs Town Clerk (307) 245-3746

Pine Bluffs Police (307) 245-3777

Wyoming Gun Owners

http://wyominggunowners.org/

Arkyhog

imported post

I live in Arkansas, but I am watching what happens in Wyoming very closely.Wyoming gun owners should be aware they are in dangerous territory, but they are in a position Arkansas gun owners would love to be in. Please fight these towns in Wyoming which choose to ignore your state laws, your state Constitution and the U.S. Constitution! We gun owners in other states depend on your actions to keep a firm foothold for us to stand on. Arkansans need states such as Wyoming to hold up as an ideal Second Amendment state.

Arkyhog

imported post

John Wise sent me an email today. The town council and the mayor have called a meeting for Monday night. He says he will let me know the outcome of the meeting after it is over. It seems the town does not like what the article in the paper says. Hopefully this misunderstanding about the law can be overcome. It seems this law was written years ago to keep the kids from shooting out street lights and such. Good news may be around the corner!

SDguy

imported post

I just dropped the Bine Bluffs Chamber of Commerce an e-mail note informing them that I travel thru Pine Bluffs regularly when I travel on business from my home state of South Dakota into Wyoming.

I informed them that I will now make it a point NOT to stop in Pine Bluffs for a meal, gas or any other business knowing that I am not welcome there with my legally carried personal firearm that is legal elsewhere in the state of Wyoming.

I have a South Dakota CC permit which is good elsewhere in the great state of Wyoming with the exception of Pine Bluffs.

MatieA

imported post

Pine Bluffs monthly town meeting is tonight at 1900 and I will be attending. From the sounds of things I won't have to do much because the mayor and town council have already decided to change things due to phone calls, and emails recieved.Officer Brian Yeomans was also unintelligent enough to put an article in the paper effectively "shooting himself in the foot". I for one am hoping that he is dismissed, and if given the chance I will recommend or second this action; and although he is not the only officer involved in this fiasco, I know that the other officer will get nothing more than a "stern talking to".

MatieA

imported post

Crossfire Jedi wrote:
This is just unreal...I was born and raised in Cheyenne...I had no idea things headed south? How is it possible that I can OC daily in Arizona/Phoenix area...like the 5th largest city in the country..but can't in Cheyenne or in Pine Bluffs which if you aren't looking carefully you will pass it? I am really confused about how this is possible. Is it true, like Glenn Beck demonstrated, that people are shredding the frign constitution?

I wonder if lawsuit's can be placed against the city? I am so tired of this.
I don't know how long it has been since you've been to Cheyenne, but you won't miss it by blinking anymore. It has gotten much to large for my tastes.

MatieA

imported post

I have spoken with John Wise ( Pine Bluffs Sportman's Club President) a short while ago, and he said that he does not believe that there will be any resistance to rewording or striking out the ordinances that are wrong. The officer that could not read, but felt he could interpret the laws his own way will be reprimanded, but most probably terminated.

It seems that this particular law has been on the books since before the town even had an attorney, and most people did not even know it existed. If you check statutes for other Wyoming towns ( including Cheyenne) they have one worded almost the same way, but it is interpreted correctly, or ignored. Side note - I like the way Rawlins worded their ordinance for Firearms.

I will post an update as soon as I get home from the meeting tonight, but I am pretty sure that this is a done deal.