• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congressmen Urge the UN to Trample the US Constitution

scott58dh

Disinformation Continues as U.N. Arms Treaty Takes Shape

"For example, the most recent draft treaty includes import/export controls that would require officials in an importing country to collect information on the "end user" of a firearm, keep the information for 20 years, and provide the information to the country from which the gun was exported. In other words, if you bought a Beretta shotgun, you would be an "end user" and the U.S. government would have to keep a record of you and notify the Italian government about your purchase. That is gun registration. If the U.S. refuses to implement this data collection on law-abiding American gun owners, other nations might be required to ban the export of firearms to the U.S.

And even if the U.S. never ratifies--or even signs--the treaty, many other nations will. The cost of complying with the treaty would drive up the price of imported firearms and probably force some companies to take their products off the U.S. market."

Read More;:arrow:http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/a...-continues-as-un-arms-treaty-takes-shape.aspx

Jack House

And even if the U.S. never ratifies--or even signs--the treaty, many other nations will. The cost of complying with the treaty would drive up the price of imported firearms and probably force some companies to take their products off the U.S. market."
This is one of the biggest issues a lot of people don't seem to understand, there's still a chance other nations will ratify this. And let's be honest, who here has a 100% American made gun collection and who here has a 100% foreign made gun collection? My collection is 100% foreign, though I only have the one handgun at the moment. Still, most of the weapons I want are Italian, German and Austrian, only a few are American.

scott58dh

Nevada carrier

If you read between the lines in his speech, There were things said there that could not be actually stated but merely implanted in the listener's consciousness to tell them what they need to know. That speech was a warning.

Sig229

This is one of the biggest issues a lot of people don't seem to understand, there's still a chance other nations will ratify this. And let's be honest, who here has a 100% American made gun collection and who here has a 100% foreign made gun collection? My collection is 100% foreign, though I only have the one handgun at the moment. Still, most of the weapons I want are Italian, German and Austrian, only a few are American.

Not only that but all the hybrid guns we own.
for instance, Glock's slides are made in Austria, but the frames are made in Georiga.

My Sig's frames are made in Germany but the slides are made in New Hampshire.

The list goes on and on...

Maine Expat

I got this from my Congressman after emailing all of my reps regarding the UN ATT.

Dear xxxxxxx:
Thank you for contacting me regarding an international small arms treaty. Maine has unique needs that often require bi-partisan solutions, focused attention and thinking outside of the box. That is why I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch with me and why I come home to Maine nearly every weekend.

As a member of the National Rifle Association (NRA), I share your commitment to protecting the right of all law-abiding individuals to purchase, possess and use firearms as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. The Second Amendment protects the right of Americans to bear arms, and this cannot be overruled by any international agreement. The Amendment has important historical roots in the volunteer civilian militias who fought for our independence and continues to be an important right enjoyed by law-abiding Americans today. I have been a consistent supporter of Second Amendment rights and have received an 'A' rating from the NRA. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughtful views in mind as I continue to closely follow this situation.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. In addition, I also provide occasional email updates on a range of issues affecting people in Maine. If you would like to receive this information, please visit my website at https://michaud.house.gov/contact-mike/newsletter and sign up for my email newsletter. I appreciate the opportunity to represent Maine in Congress.

With warmest regards,

Michael H. Michaud
Member of Congress

I haven't checked his real record/rating, but this is encouraging at least.

scott58dh

I got this from my Congressman after emailing all of my reps regarding the UN ATT.

Dear xxxxxxx:
Thank you for contacting me regarding an international small arms treaty. Maine has unique needs that often require bi-partisan solutions, focused attention and thinking outside of the box. That is why I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch with me and why I come home to Maine nearly every weekend.

As a member of the National Rifle Association (NRA), I share your commitment to protecting the right of all law-abiding individuals to purchase, possess and use firearms as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. The Second Amendment protects the right of Americans to bear arms, and this cannot be overruled by any international agreement. The Amendment has important historical roots in the volunteer civilian militias who fought for our independence and continues to be an important right enjoyed by law-abiding Americans today. I have been a consistent supporter of Second Amendment rights and have received an 'A' rating from the NRA. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughtful views in mind as I continue to closely follow this situation.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. In addition, I also provide occasional email updates on a range of issues affecting people in Maine. If you would like to receive this information, please visit my website at https://michaud.house.gov/contact-mike/newsletter and sign up for my email newsletter. I appreciate the opportunity to represent Maine in Congress.

With warmest regards,

Michael H. Michaud (D) Member of Congress

Important note on Mr. Michaud,,,, Michael Herman (Mike) Michaud (born January 18, 1955) is the U.S. Representative for Maine's 2nd congressional district, serving since 2003. He is a member of the Democratic Party. The mostly rural district comprises nearly 80% of the state by area and includes the cities of Lewiston, Auburn, Bangor, and Presque Isle. It is the largest Congressional district by area east of the Mississippi River.

Thus, he does not have a vote concerning the UN ATT.

Mr. Michaud 2nd Amnd. Voting Record,

Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
National cross-state standard for concealed carry. (Jan 2009)
Teach kids Eddie Eagle GunSafe's lifesaving message. (May 2010)
Loosen restrictions on interstate gun purchases. (Oct 2011)
Ban gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC. (Mar 2007)

Read More;:arrow:;http://www.ontheissues.org/house/michael_michaud.htm

:arrow:;http://www.ontheissues.org/house/Michael_Michaud_Gun_Control.htm

Background on Gun Control; from, On the Issues.org

Gun Control Buzzwords

The biggest component of the Gun Control debate is whether existing gun laws are sufficient, or whether more gun laws are needed.

Liberals and populists generally favor more gun laws. Look for buzzwords like "more registration" or "more licensing" to describe seeking further restrictions legal ownership; or "close the loopholes" and "restrict access" for further restrictions on illegal ownership.

Moderate liberals and populists will generally favor more restrictions on ownership while paying lip-service "sportsmen's rights" or respecting "the right of self-protection." A moderate compromise is to "extend waiting periods" before allowing ownership, to perform "background checks" of varying degrees of severity.

Conservatives and libertarians generally oppose gun laws. Look for buzzwords like "Second Amendment rights" or "allow concealed carry". A call for "instant background checks" pays lip-service to gun-control advocates: it sounds like a restriction, but means allowing purchasing guns on the spot.

Moderate conservatives and libertarians oppose gun laws while acknowledging that restrictions are inevitable. Look for buzzwords like "enforce existing gun laws," which implies not passing any NEW gun laws. Similarly, "more strict enforcement" of gun laws implies a pro-Gun Rights stance, unless it is accompanied by a call for new gun laws.

Centrists and moderates from both the right and left generally support restrictions on juvenile access to guns, especially in the wake of tragedies like Littleton and other gun-related deaths.

Positive mentions of the NRA (the National Rifle Association, the largest pro-gun rights lobbying group) implies support of gun rights, while opposing the NRA or "taking on the gun lobby" implies support of gun restrictions.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I will make you a deal, the first UN-boot that steps off the chopper to invade the U.S., I will...well, let's just say I wouldn't want to be the poor suckers stepping off the chopper to invade. Because I don't know about anyone else here, but the second that happens, all other political issues are pushed to the side, and aiding in stopping the invasion becomes my number one priority.

Aahh, the sound of reason!

KYGlockster

Activist Member

"For example, the most recent draft treaty includes import/export controls that would require officials in an importing country to collect information on the "end user" of a firearm, keep the information for 20 years, and provide the information to the country from which the gun was exported. In other words, if you bought a Beretta shotgun, you would be an "end user" and the U.S. government would have to keep a record of you and notify the Italian government about your purchase. That is gun registration. If the U.S. refuses to implement this data collection on law-abiding American gun owners, other nations might be required to ban the export of firearms to the U.S.

Read More;:arrow:http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/a...-continues-as-un-arms-treaty-takes-shape.aspx

I have started a thread on the UN ATT with a link to the actual document. Look throughout the document, and notice how nearly every article says the goal is to deny access to "UNAUTHORIZED END USERS" which would be the citizens of every country. If this is ratified, our RTKBA will be destroyed.

Boba Fett

Dear xxxxxxx:

With warmest regards,

Michael H. Michaud
Member of Congress

Doesn't sound very encouraging to me. For one he supports the NRA (not the best thing he could have said). For two it sounds like he treats his NRA membership like a badge that entitles him to support from gun owners.

I did like that he mentioned the civilian militias though.

scott58dh

I have started a thread on the UN ATT with a link to the actual document. Look throughout the document, and notice how nearly every article says the goal is to deny access to "UNAUTHORIZED END USERS" which would be the citizens of every country. If this is ratified, our RTKBA will be destroyed.

I totally understand the serious repercussions of this issue SHOULD it come to pass.

That is why I joined the NRA in 04/12 to give myself and 1000's like us a voice that WILL be reckoned with in the event that our esteemed Senators should sway and fall to the extreme anti-2nd Amnd. Lobbyists in DC.

Today (07/27/2012) IS THE Day of Reckoning ( THE UN ATT Vote) so time is running out, for Somebody !,,,,, let's hope & pray it ain't USa!

"GOD, GUNS & GUTS MADE AMERICA FREE, LET'S FIGHT TO KEEP ALL THREE !!!" John G. Mitchell, NRA 04/78

Read More;:arrow:;http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1760005/posts

scott58dh

Doesn't sound very encouraging to me. For one he supports the NRA (not the best thing he could have said). For two it sounds like he treats his NRA membership like a badge that entitles him to support from gun owners.

I did like that he mentioned the civilian militias though.

Important note on Mr. Michaud,,,, Michael Herman (Mike) Michaud (born January 18, 1955) is the U.S. Representative for Maine's 2nd congressional district, serving since 2003. He is a member of the Democratic Party. The mostly rural district comprises nearly 80% of the state by area and includes the cities of Lewiston, Auburn, Bangor, and Presque Isle. It is the largest Congressional district by area east of the Mississippi River.

Thus, he does not have a vote concerning the UN ATT.

nonameisgood

I'm so tired of reading post about this with people quoting other people on the net, or some "news" source.

Go to the UN website on the arms treaty, read the REAL documents, particularly the part of the charging document where it says (in UN lingo, State refers to a "nation state":

"Recognizing further the sovereign right of States to determine any regulation of internal transfers of arms and national ownership exclusively within their territory, including through national constitutional protections on private ownership."

Despite what the media idiots tell you, it is not about our weapons. It is about movement of guns into war zones and similar places.

And it has not been written yet, so no one could ratify it even if they wanted to.

You all seem bent on disrespecting the President, who believes in local and state gun control, but also believes the federal government is prohibited from implementing gun control. Has he tried to take away your gun rights or guns yet? No. But, that doesn't mean we need to stop being attentive, just don't cry wolf, not yet.

We-the-People

A large number of our weapons are transerred internationally and the treaty WOULD affect those as they are not internal transfers.

SIG
FN
GLOCK
BERRETA

and a whole lot more are FIRST transferred internationally....and thus come under the auspices of the treaty from what you just quoted from it.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
A large number of our weapons are transerred internationally and the treaty WOULD affect those as they are not internal transfers.

SIG
FN
GLOCK
BERRETA

and a whole lot more are FIRST transferred internationally....and thus come under the auspices of the treaty from what you just quoted from it.

The Obama clingers can't admit they were wrong about him, and his support for a treaty that will certainly harm our right to arms. Yes, as of now internal arms trafficking is unaffected, but an amendment can easily be added once ratified. Not to mention, the sale of major manufacturers firearms from over seas will ultimately be destroyed. I don't own many weapons that were not made over seas, and this will destroy my right to obtain them. The treaty does say all end users shall be registered, and I will not buy a firearm that is registered with any government body. This treaty is BAD for our Gun rights! Wake up people!

Gil223

I'm so tired of reading post about this with people quoting other people on the net, or some "news" source.
Perhaps you should quit reading then.

Go to the UN website on the arms treaty, read the REAL documents, particularly the part of the charging document where it says (in UN lingo, State refers to a "nation state":

"Recognizing further the sovereign right of States to determine any regulation of internal transfers of arms and national ownership exclusively within their territory, including through national constitutional protections on private ownership."
And then what? "Recognizing" is not the same thing as respecting. This sentence seems to be a fragment of a thought. Where does it say the UN will not, at some point in time via majority acclamation, attempt to modify or infringe upon the "sovereign right of States"

Despite what the media idiots tell you, it is not about our weapons. It is about movement of guns into war zones and similar places.
That is the primary thrust of the document, but - as with most official documents - there are areas with lots of "wiggle room".

And it has not been written yet, so no one could ratify it even if they wanted to.
The good news there is that, as of the last survey taken, 59 Senators would vote against ratification. The other 41 apparently do not face re-election this year.

You all seem bent on disrespecting the President, who believes in local and state gun control, but also believes the federal government is prohibited from implementing gun control. Has he tried to take away your gun rights or guns yet? No. But, that doesn't mean we need to stop being attentive, just don't cry wolf, not yet.
This "president" (purposely not capitalized) makes disrespecting him so easy that it's difficult to resist. Until this morning, I thought Obama couldn't have said anything more stupid than his comment about business people not being responsible for their own successes (silly me!). From Infowars.com:
"President Barack Obama has caved to pressure from his supporters and finally exploited last week’s Aurora massacre to begin the push for gun control, erroneously claiming during a speech last night that the second amendment is about hunting and target practice. “We recognize the traditions of gun ownership that passed on from generation to generation, that hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage,” said Obama during remarks made at a National Urban League Conference in New Orleans.
In reality, the founders put the second amendment in the bill of rights not to ensure Americans could enjoy hunting or target practice, but as a protection against government tyranny."
The Great Usurper has done absolutely nothing to improve the economy, jobs, control of our borders, or stop the devaluation of the US dollar. What he has done is doubled the aggregate national debt compiled by all 43 of his predecessors. He has appointed avowed socialists, Marxists and Communists to his cabinet, implanted radical Muslims into "Homeland Security", used "Executive Privilege" (the use of which is restricted to when Congress is not in session) when Congress is still in session, and devised a plan whereby he hopes to gain the voting loyalty of 12,000,000 illegal immigrants. I don't respect any elected official who doesn't respect the sovereignty of our country, it's laws or it's citizens. Perhaps next, you can tell us about Illinois' liberal gun possession/carry laws? :rolleyes: Pax...

Last edited:

nonameisgood

Gil, you know good and well that what you just wrote is not in keeping with the truth. The President may have hired/appointed people who are not christian, not white, and not necessarily born here, but that doesn't make them bad people, traitors, or less than stellar public servants. I don't think you can point to a single "Marxist or Communist" or "radical muslim" appointed by the President.

If you have read any amount about his views on gun law, you also know that he agrees that regulation of RKBA is restricted at the federal level by the second amendment. He also has stated that restriction at the state level is a state matter (in keeping with those of Illinois.) If the people of Illinois want to change the rules, they can. But we are talking about people who reelected Daley in spite of his cowardly and illegal activities.

Don't blame the president for Chicago corruption, bad weather, or the economic crisis triggered by prior administrations' permissive banking rules. No matter how you view the actions since, he wasn't elected when we crashed, nor was he in any public office when any of these restrictive gun laws were promulgated. He has not yet tried to take away our guns, or do any of the evil things you have accused him of doing.