• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut law

KIX

Rich nailed it right there. It is black and white.

Doesn't matter what the DPS says....... if it's a law it is.

Just because DPS says something (even if removed online elsewhere) doesn't make it so.

I have a copy of the statutes, read them over and over again, and I'll stick to the letter of the law.

I'm not worried about what a bureaucrat puts on a website, I'll stick with those large volumes of case law and go from there.

Jonathan

Lenny Benedetto

This thread has reached the "Waste of Time" Point.
We all, except for Jellydonut, know the answers and the law on OC.
Many of us have been living "CT Gun Rights" for a very long time!

Unfortunately there will be TROLLS that tend to waste our time with BS arguments about what "THEY" think is legal.

This thread should be left to die. IMHO!

Jellydonut

This thread has reached the "Waste of Time" Point.
We all, except for Jellydonut, know the answers and the law on OC.
Many of us have been living "CT Gun Rights" for a very long time!

Unfortunately there will be TROLLS that tend to waste our time with BS arguments about what "THEY" think is legal.

This thread should be left to die. IMHO!

Yep, that's what I thought. Remember, this isn't New Hampshire. No permit, no carry. Worth the risk? I think not.

Jellydonut

The case is James Goldberg v. Glastonbury and there is a hearing in the U.S. Federal District Court in Bridgeport at 10:00 AM this Friday. James Goldberg was arrested on June 21, 2007, did have the weapons seized and destroyed and did have his permit taken and revoked by DPS.

His permit was returned in August of 2008 by DPS and there are two federal lawsuits regarding this arrest and subsequent actions.

There are many legal documents available on this site and the INTERNET.

Why don't you post under your real name or provide some information about why you are trying to mislead people with your inexperience in Connecticut Firearm issues.

The information you post has been discussed and dissected many times in this forum and elsewhere, and the law is pretty well known to most who have been actively involved in the issues.

Denied permit 2 years after arrest. Read the article see for yourself. Your the one misleading.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-open-carry-guns-0418.artapr18,0,2346909.story

Jellydonut

Most people here have done months or years of research. Many of us have been actively open carrying and some of us have been involved in legal actions about open carry.

It most certainly is. Open carry is 100% legal. No LEO can arrest someone for the act of open carrying. The ones that do are making unlawful arrests and will be dealt with accordingly in the legal system.

Don't believe me? Ask the Wallingford Police Department who got a great education on this in May.

Seriously, if you are trying to troll (which is my best guess so far) you are doing a terrible job.

Yes, open carry is legal but every situation is different, you run the risk of being detained and/or arrested. Yes, you might win in court or you might lose, again, because every situation is different. You can not give a blanket OK to OC that would be irresponsible. Telling people to do this is irresponsible. OC responsibly and at own risk and realize no permit no carry.

Jellydonut

The case is James Goldberg v. Glastonbury and there is a hearing in the U.S. Federal District Court in Bridgeport at 10:00 AM this Friday. James Goldberg was arrested on June 21, 2007, did have the weapons seized and destroyed and did have his permit taken and revoked by DPS.

His permit was returned in August of 2008 by DPS and there are two federal lawsuits regarding this arrest and subsequent actions.

There are many legal documents available on this site and the INTERNET.

Why don't you post under your real name or provide some information about why you are trying to mislead people with your inexperience in Connecticut Firearm issues.

The information you post has been discussed and dissected many times in this forum and elsewhere, and the law is pretty well known to most who have been actively involved in the issues.

From the States Attorney (I think he knows the law). "Every case is not necesserily legal".....

"Even through it may be legal for a permitted gun owner to carry a pistol or revolver in public in Connecticut, the officials say every case is not necessarily legal and they will closely examine those brought to their attention.

"There is no law that expressly prohibits the open carrying of a firearm by somebody who has a permit to carry it, in and of itself," said Chief State's Attorney Kevin Kane. "But there are statutes that could very well be violated, depending on the evidence and the circumstances. And that could lead to arrest, confiscation and forfeiture of firearms that are displayed in violation of those statutes."

Edward Peruta

Facts

Denied permit 2 years after arrest. Read the article see for yourself. Your the one misleading.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-open-carry-guns-0418.artapr18,0,2346909.story

I suggest you read the Amended Complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Connecticut and pay particular attention to these paragraphs for the facts.

Here are some of the facts:

44. The GPD confiscated then illegally took and withheld Goldberg’s state permit proximate in time to Goldberg’s arrest on June 21, 2007.

45. The GPD, with intent to deprive Goldberg of property, wrongfully took, obtained, and withheld Goldberg’s state permit on June 21, 2007, in violation of the General Statutes which prohibit the offense of larceny as defined under section 53a-119.

48. GPD Lieutenant Dennis Woessner forwarded a letter to Detective Mattson dated June 25, 2007, consisting of one sentence in its body: “Enclosed is the case we spoke about on the phone. Thanks for all your help.”

49. Detective Mattson, acting as DPS Commissioner Danaher’s designated representative, informed Goldberg by letter dated June 27, 2007 (“DPS Revocation Letter”) that DPS Commissioner Danaher revoked Goldberg’s state permit effective immediately.

86. DPS Commissioner Danaher reinstated Goldberg’s state permit on September 22, 2008, stating: “A review of the facts and circumstances of the incident involving your Connecticut Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers has been completed. Effective upon your receipt of this notice, your permit is reinstated.”

Regardless of what you read or where you get your information, FACTS are FACTS.

My math leads me to believe that James Goldberg's permit was returned 15 months and one day after his arrest, NOT 2 years!!

Last edited:

Jellydonut

I suggest you read the Amended Complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Connecticut and pay particular attention to these paragraphs for the facts.

44. The GPD confiscated then illegally took and withheld Goldberg’s state
permit proximate in time to Goldberg’s arrest on June 21, 2007.

45. The GPD, with intent to deprive Goldberg of property, wrongfully took,
obtained, and withheld Goldberg’s state permit on June 21, 2007, in violation of the General Statutes which prohibit the offense of larceny as defined under section 53a-

48. GPD Lieutenant Dennis Woessner forwarded a letter to Detective Mattson
dated June 25, 2007, consisting of one sentence in its body: “Enclosed is the case we
spoke about on the phone. Thanks for all your help.”

49. Detective Mattson, acting as DPS Commissioner Danaher’s designated
representative, informed Goldberg by letter dated June 27, 2007 (“DPS Revocation
Letter”) that DPS Commissioner Danaher revoked Goldberg’s state permit effective
immediately.

86. DPS Commissioner Danaher reinstated Goldberg’s state permit on
September 22, 2008, stating: “A review of the facts and circumstances of the incident
involving your Connecticut Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers has been completed.
Effective upon your receipt of this notice, your permit is reinstated.”

OK so he went unarmed and unable to defend himself for 15 months. Worth it? Not to mention he got arrested. Again, you don't seem to be getting my point. The facts of this case may be different from yours. Every situation is different and will be judged accordingly. You may be ok, you may not be.

Jellydonut

44. The GPD confiscated then illegally took and withheld Goldberg’s state permit proximate in time to Goldberg’s arrest on June 21, 2007.

45. The GPD, with intent to deprive Goldberg of property, wrongfully took, obtained, and withheld Goldberg’s state permit on June 21, 2007, in violation of the General Statutes which prohibit the offense of larceny as defined under section 53a-119.

48. GPD Lieutenant Dennis Woessner forwarded a letter to Detective Mattson dated June 25, 2007, consisting of one sentence in its body: “Enclosed is the case we spoke about on the phone. Thanks for all your help.”

49. Detective Mattson, acting as DPS Commissioner Danaher’s designated representative, informed Goldberg by letter dated June 27, 2007 (“DPS Revocation Letter”) that DPS Commissioner Danaher revoked Goldberg’s state permit effective immediately.

86. DPS Commissioner Danaher reinstated Goldberg’s state permit on September 22, 2008, stating: “A review of the facts and circumstances of the incident involving your Connecticut Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers has been completed. Effective upon your receipt of this notice, your permit is reinstated.”

Regardless of what you read or where you get your information, FACTS are FACTS.

My math leads me to believe that James Goldberg's permit was returned 15 months and one day after his arrest, NOT 2 years!!

Notice #86. Review of facts and circumstances of the incident and it was 15 months not 2 years, still a long time with no right to carry. Every incident is different and will be reviewed and judged based on those facts and circumstances. No permit no carry.

Edward Peruta

Worth it?

In your post, you posed the question "Worth it?"

ABSOUTELY!!!

James Goldberg's case and others filed in State and Federal Courts in Connecticut will resolve a few of the important questions and issues that you don't seem to understand.

If you don't understand the laws regarding firearms in Connecticut that's your fault.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

New player in this thread here...hold your fire... :p

The Department of Public Safety removed and no long accepts a "voter registration card" as "proof of citizenship".

Curious as to when this change was made? I know when I submitted my app for non-res permit in Oct 2009, I sent a copy of my voter reg card....and didn't have any issues.

Last edited:

Edward Peruta

Voter Registration Card

The requirement was challenged in the Kuck v. Danaher federal law suit and was the topic of a question posed to Sgt. Ronald Bastura formerly assigned to the Special License and Firearms Unit of DPS.

The voter registration card was removed as a requirement when DPS found out that they are no longer issued in CT and DO NOT carry any credibility to verify legal status in the United States.

Attorney Rachel Baird made the valid argument at a hearing before the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners when she provided the state with the complete voter registration list from West Hartford.

Anyone can obtain, (including DPS), a list of all registered voters in any particular community in CT from the local registrar of the Secretary of State.

Another requirement that was never approved by the legislature.

Jellydonut

In your post, you posed the question "Worh it?"

ABSOUTELY!!!

James Goldberg's case and others filed in State and Federal Courts in Connecticut will resolve a few of the important questions and issues that you don't seem to understand.

If you don't understand the laws regarding firearms in Connecticut that's your fault.

If there not resolved then how can you understand, how can anyone? You don't make sense. Also, they will resolve questions regarding his case and the situation he was in. This doesn't mean it will resolve all questions for every case. If it's worth it to you that's great I wish you well but that's your choice and it isn't necessarily everyone's choice. If you OC and get jammed up you could lose your permit, get arrested, andor detained. No permit no carry. Good luck.

Edward Peruta

A waste of time

Responding to your posts is a waste of time and energy. If you are satisfied that you know the law and know you will not have any interaction with police then enjoy your permit and don't complain if something happens.

And if you're just trying to interact with those of us who are trying to address issues and solve problems for entertainment, you'll not get any further responses out of me.

I don't have the time to deal with people who bring NOTHING constructive to the table.

I consider your posts to be nothing more than idle B.S. that only confuses the firearm issues discussed on this board.

GoldCoaster

Responding to your posts is a waste of time and energy. If you are satisfied that you know the law and know you will not have any interaction with police then enjoy your permit and don't complain if something happens.

And if you're just trying to interact with those of us who are trying to address issues and solve problems for entertainment, you'll not get any further responses out of me.

I don't have the time to deal with people who bring NOTHING constructive to the table.

I consider your posts to be nothing more than idle B.S. that only confuses the firearm issues discussed on this board.

Given the forum handle, perhaps Mr. Jelly donut is an agent provocateur from a police department deliberately spreading mistruths and outright bullshite. Beware the enemy within.

KIX

Given the forum handle, perhaps Mr. Jelly donut is an agent provocateur from a police department deliberately spreading mistruths and outright bullshite. Beware the enemy within.

I was thinking the same thing days ago!

Hef

Probably true, but you would think they'd be able to put forth a better candidate than Jellydonut. He has no debate skills whatsoever. I suppose that could be interpreted as a lack of respect by the department who sent him here, or we are simply underestimated.

Rich B

Probably true, but you would think they'd be able to put forth a better candidate than Jellydonut. He has no debate skills whatsoever. I suppose that could be interpreted as a lack of respect by the department who sent him here, or we are simply underestimated.

How can he debate something when his side of the debate has absolutely no basis in reality or fact?

As I believe I have stated previously, these 'arguments' JellyDonut tries to make are about as bad and misinformed (and almost verbatim!) as all of the arguments I have heard from the Wallingford PD (including Chief Dortenzio himself) since my wrongful arrest. It doesn't really matter what JellyDonut's agenda is, he has only given us the chance to post the facts and dispel more irrational and false information.

Anyone reading these threads should have a pretty clear understanding of who actually has truth and evidence to support their side and who is just spouting nonsense.