• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Considering new 45 carry ammo

SlowDog

imported post

It is my personal opinion and nothing more but maybe everyone should consider saving their pennies and getting a GUNVAULT for their vehicle and carry a rifle or shotgun. It's legal as long as it's not loaded. And we all know how long it takes to shove in a few rounds or a magazine. Carry it always and hope you never need it. That's seems to me so much better then the alternative....just sayin...:quirky

Section32

imported post

1. Winchester Ranger-T (pick your weight and load)

2. Federal HST (pick your weight and load)

Run a couple of mag's worth through your gun to ensure they cycle, then forget about it, you've got the best modern ammo made. The rest is up to you.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I carry 3 magazines, and have 3 different type of rounds stacked exactly the same way in each mag.

In summer I use Golden Saber rounds, then under those, I use Winchester PDX, then under those I have the old reliable FMJ rounds.

In winter, I change things a bit, I use the Winchester as my primary, the Golden Saber as my secondary, and the FMJ's as a backup.

Why you may ask? the Golden sabers fly the straightest, but the jackets tend to seperate, making it an ideal summertime round. A two piece bullet should make better holes. The Winchesters are very accurate rounds, and since they do not come apart, they have better cover penetration, which is why they are my wintertime primary rounds. And of course, the last rounds in the mag, summer, or winter, are the FMJ rounds, so I can deal with a barrier in any weather. I dont have feeding problems in the XD with these rounds.

Its a .40 cal subcompact. 12+1 I keep one in the chamber, (of course), there are 4 primary, then 4 secondary, then 4 FMJ rounds. In the 9 rd mag, *shudder* thereare 3 primary, 3 secondary, and 3 FMJ, so its easy to remember.

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I currently carry Federal HST 230gr standard pressure in my S&W M&P45. I also like the Winchester Ranger 230gr standard and +P pressure in this gun.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I discussed this very topic three days ago with one of my best friends, since 1990, a former deputy sheriff, gun enthusiast of all types (including cannon), and an avid reloader. We discussed the various merits of FMJ, JHP, Hydrashock, Silvertips, Corbons, and many others.

When I mentioned I'd found several boxes of Black Talon, he said, "Well why didn't you just say so! Go with that, Buddy. Go with that." Winchester's Ranger SXT is nearly identical, however, sans the black lubalox coating.

While this chart is strictly for 9mm, the principles apply to 45 ACP, as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9mm#Performance

Selecting the proper ammo is a trade-off between penetration and expansion, and depends on what you'll be shooting. Penetration is nice, but only to the point where it delivers maximum impact to the body, after tearing through clothing or any other obstructions. A round that cleanly passes through the flesh while exiting with half it's energy isn't much good and is dangerous for bystanders. BPW (ballistic pressure wave) is nice, as that's a measure of "hydrostatic shock" potential, also known as "remote wounding." It's what causes hemorrhage in the brain from a chest shot.

Desired characteristics (from: http://www.internetarmory.com/ammunition.htm):

1. You want a round to be able to penetrate between 8 and 18 inches of bodily tissue, with 10 to 12 inches being ideal.

2. Anything less than 6 inches and it either may not penetrate through a heavy leather jacket, or would at least have expended too much of it's energy to be effective - While Silvertips are a safe round to use in heavy crowds, they get near this category with 8 inches.

3. Anything more than 18 inches and it's doing a very poor job of transferring its energy - most FMJs, such as Winchester's FMJ, with a whopping 24.5 inches of penetration, fall into this category.

4. Note: The heavier and faster the round, the more expansion you'll require to keep the penetration at around 10 to 12 inches.

As for handloads vs commercial, ammo manufactured here in the US is among the finest in the world. Many a time I've had mis or hang fires from reloads done by competant reloaders, whereas I've only twice had mis or hangfires from commercial loads. I'm sure many reloaders will take exception to this, as would any craftsman <shrugs>.

For more info from a much more experienced source than I, see here: http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Also could not find the picture for .45 ACP so offer the 9MM version here.

Federal HST bonded rules!
http://www.btfh.net/shoot/images/bullet-test-2/after/hst-147.jpg

Yata hey

Federal HST 147grain
Comments: Excellent penetration and huge expansion too. I was shocked at how well these did. They were very uniform (even the undersides)
and penetrated an inch deeper then the HST 124's. Probably one of the best (if not THE best) rounds you can carry for self defence in a 9mm.
On the far right is a Golden Saber 147gr for comparison.

Hawkeye638

imported post

FMJs = over penetration. FMJs in .45 caliber will over penetrate posing a danger to anyone behind or beyond your target. One poster remarked about legal ramifications of self loading. The same can be said for your choice of defensive loads. Virtually all police departments have moved away from FMJs for this reason.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

kahlesss wrote:
Well said....
Welcome to OCDO. Hope you enjoy your stay and contribute.

I think you just tied the record for least amount of words in a first post! :)

Suggestion/request for all new posters - please add your location to your profile by clicking "My Account" at top right after logging into OCDO. This frequently helps when responding to questions that my be location specific and benefits the moderators.

Yata hey

jayspapa

imported post

I use Hornady 230 gr tap in my .45acp, Hornady 125 gr in the wifes 38 snub , and Hornady critical defense in the PF-9 .

I carry the same load in all my mags. No mixing FMJ , then this brand HP,then that brandHP . Besides, how many times is a bad guy likely to get behind cover that HP won't penetrate but a FMJ would??

For me , I want HP only loads for my defense.

As far as brand to use.. Most of the major brand HP are good ammo. Just pick what works in your gun and hope you never have to use it.

KansasMustang

imported post

office888 wrote:
You're not alone.

I carry 230gr FMJ in my 1911.

Why?

It allows me to "rotate" my ammo for cheap.
Guaranteed to feed properly.
Has more than sufficient stopping power for an encounter.
Allows me to shoot THROUGH cover.

The military has used it for 100+ years. I don't see a reason why I shouldn't. I may switch to WWB JHP though in the near future.

-Richard-
The Military has used FMJ since the First World War but not for the reasons you've stated. The Geneva-Hague Convention and the "Laws of Land Warfare" state that the use of "Dum-dum" bullets IE hollow points or soft nose rounds cause inhumane wounds. The actual goal of shooting someone in the military is not necessarily to kill, but to unable the soldier from conducting combat operations. It takes 7 people to care for a wounded soldier, takes a lot less to take care of a dead man.
Just clarifying your statement, and educating you if you will.
Keep your powder dry!
edited for typo

DEFENSOR

imported post

I agree with all of the reasons you gave for your ammo preference but I haveone reason that is rarely considered. I have two .45 pistols an old Remington Govt. model and a Glock model 21. I only use 230gr. FMJ I do not want to use anything that any over ambitious attorney or over sympathetic jury could consider overly destructive. This is not to mention that this rounds effectiveness leaves extremely little to be desired. Overall I am in complete agreeance. By the way if you're getting some of that wild storm keep warm and stay safe.

Defensor

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DEFENSOR wrote:
I agree with all of the reasons you gave for your ammo preference but I haveone reason that is rarely considered. I have two .45 pistols an old Remington Govt. model and a Glock model 21. I only use 230gr. FMJ I do not want to use anything that any over ambitious attorney or over sympathetic jury could consider overly destructive. This is not to mention that this rounds effectiveness leaves extremely little to be desired. Overall I am in complete agreeance. By the way if you're getting some of that wild storm keep warm and stay safe.

Defensor
Consider the potential greater risk of ricochet or passing through BG only to hit an innocent with FMJ. These and other considerations are exactly why very few (none?) of LE agencies use FMJ ammo.

Have you checked to see what LEOs in your area carry?

IMHO - there is no perfect load for all situations, but FMJ is very low on the scale of acceptability.

Yata hey

DEFENSOR

imported post

Grapeshot,

You make a great point that I have considered. Butin light of the villification of any one who uses a firearm in self defense this has choice has always made sense to me. On the other hand the unexpected consequenceof aricochet carries serious legal ramifications as well. Your point is well made, so my question is what do you use. I forgot this I have not asked about what local LEO's use but they don't carry .45s mostly .40s.

Thanks, Defensor

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DEFENSOR wrote:
Grapeshot,

You make a great point that I have considered. Butin light of the villification of any one who uses a firearm in self defense this has choice has always made sense to me. On the other hand the unexpected consequenceof aricochet carries serious legal ramifications as well. Your point is well made, so my question is what do you use. I forgot this I have not asked about what local LEO's use but they don't carry .45s mostly .40s.

Thanks, Defensor
All below are .45 ACP

Corbon DPX 185 +P HP - winter load for heavy clothing - TR recommended

Federal 230 HST - general carry, but superior round - used by LE

[size="-1"]Sinterfire Frangible 155 gr[/size] - summer only, absolutely will not richocet - LE uses

I am prepared (documented) to defend these loadings. I always keep a record too of what I am carrying and have some on the shelf for future ballistic testing. Just me.

Yata hey

SteveInAshand

imported post

RJ wrote:
I've been sporting the golden sabre HP's a friend reloaded awhile back (.45).
They seem to make a nice penetration and do leave a mark.
Generally just carried ball, worked for the professionals for years, never saw the need till a buddy handed off a few hundred to try on me.
Uh oh, now maybe theres a rub there.
good luck with a choice,
RJ
Hi,
Read Massad Ayoob's very well thought out admonishment to NOT use hand loaded ammo in a self defense gun ( for well founded legal & forensic reason )

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

zack991 wrote:
thnycav wrote:

Jor Reeser wrote:
office888 wrote:
The military has used it for 100+ years. I don't see a reason why I shouldn't.

-Richard-
"bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions" are prohibited to the military by Declaration III of the Hague Convention of 1899. The fact that the military uses FMJ is not an endorsement.

I carry FMJ myself in my .380. I carry JHP in my .45.
Yes that is true the military can not use expanding rounds, but 45 ball ammo will get the job done. This is what makes the 9mm a very weak round. You do need a JHP to get it to perform. We went to the 9mm so we could conform to the rest of NATO with ammo, it was done in the mid 80's.
I am so sick and tired of people feeding the myth of the 9mm verses 45 nonsense. Consider it defended from this front. I've read the dismal reports about the 9mm, but have yet to hear of a test volunteer to stand on his hind legs and take one in the chest. That round has killed a lotta folks since 1908. Add to the above that I've witnessed it, and I promise that the 9mm is not a slacker, even in hardball configuration. True, it fails to stop an attack sometimes...So does the .45 ACP just as much. Practice...Often. Put the shots in the right place, and the nine will do the job almost everytime, especially with modern loadings and bullet design. Believe in your heart that there is no such thing as guaranteed one-shot stop with anything short of a .50 Browning at 20 paces.

I am working on a new post that will destroy most of these STUPID MYTHS on this.If it had been a bad round, it would have been extinct quite some time ago. As the owner of a 9mm and OWNER OF MANY .45'S, just pick up your weapon and get better pulling the friggin' trigger... pick a handgun you can control and practice. It's still gonna be about shot placement...it's a tired thread...let it go. In other words, on X-Rays, a thoracic cavity full of 9mm hollow point fragments looks just the same as a thoracic cavity full of .45 cailber hollow point fragments. SIMPLE PUT, PRACTICE PUTTING ROUNDS CENTER MASS WILL DO MORE THEN A MAN WITH A S&W .500 MAG WHOM CAN'T CONTROL IT AND BE EFFICIENT WITH THAT CALIBER. PLEASE STOP THIS NONSENSE.

Hey, why not ask those who issue or authorize it!

LAPD
NYPD
NYSD
LVMPD
US Customs
NJSP
Palm Bay FL. PD
Philadelphia PD
San Bernadino PD
Dallas Texas PD
SDPD
Santa Clara PD
DC police

Just to name a few...........

One common theme is, they all use quality ammunition like Ranger, Federal Tactical or Gold Dot. Of course, all of the calibers benefit when the best loads available for them are utilized, and any of them can be made to perform quite poorly when they aren't.

Hell, the Texas DPS was under-whelmed by the .45's performance with regards to hard barrier penetration, and failures to incapacitate rapidly enough in a few unobstructed frontal shootings as well. They subsequently began issuing the 357 Sig or (.355 +P++), coupling the P226 with 125gr Gold Dot's. Should we now have to justify the .45's existence?

These type of stupid comments do nothing but put out false info to new shooters who are looking for facts not wet dreams of someones idea of a ideal round. There are facts and there is pulling crap out of your fourth point of contact. Sorry if I am coming off as a dick but come one people, we need to advise practice practice and practice some more will ALWAYS do more then any "Superior top round" round. There is pros and cons to each caliber, if this was not the case then would not have all these lovely flavors that we have today.
I agree for the most part, the 9mm does get a bad rap. However, let me elaborate on a few things:

1.) It's more complicated than just caliber. Force = Mass X the square of velocity. Therefore, velocity is much more important(4 times more important) than bullet weight when determining the energy a round will have at impact. The 9mm was designed to be a very fast, light round[sup]1[/sup] whereas the .45 was designed to be a heavy, slower round[sup]2[/sup].
2.) What I think most people are referring to when they say "stopping power" is actually energy transfer. Given an equal amount of energy at impact, a .45 will transfer more energy to the target due to having more surface area[sup]2[/sup](there are exceptions to this rule of thumb, but they are beyond the scope of this discussion).
3.) The best, most bad-ass round in the world doesn't mean squat if it doesn't hit the target. I'd sooner trust my life to a double-tap of .380 to the perp's chest than 1 round of .45 to his shoulder or gut.

I also wouldn't be too quick to judge calibers based on what large departments carry. Often times they are slow to change because of the size and complexity of their inventories. Most all of the smaller departments in my area carry .40, as does the FBI and CHP. I got lucky and got to carry anything I was able to qualify with as my duty gun. After doing some research(Handguns magazine ammo reviews were quite informative and helpful)[sup]3[/sup] and testing what worked for me and what I was most comfortable with, I decided on a Glock 22 with Winchester Ranger SXT rounds. I can get the Glock out and get lead on target very quickly, and the rounds I selected had what I considered to be the best combination of energy transfer, velocity, and weight[sup]3[/sup].

The only round that matters is the one that you, personally can get several of quickly and safely on target.

sources:
1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9x19mm_Parabellum
[sup]2 [/sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45ACP
[sup]3 [/sup]http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/

Rugerp345

imported post

I carry Magtech First Defense in both my Sig and Ruger. Feeds reliably in both. Never got to do anything other than range shooting, so I can't speak from experience on the expansion. According to Magtech, the solid copper bullet transfers more energy to the target because there's no copper jacket to fragment and peel away.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

No additional argument on 9mm vs .45 - just a few allegorical facts.

Military use FMJ 9 mm? Well yes except for special teams and oh yeah, the many others who carry a .45 when allowed to in the sand box.

And none of them use anything but FMJ - no HP? Right, sure, OK, whatever you say.

Yata hey

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
No additional argument on 9mm vs .45 - just a few allegorical facts.

Military use FMJ 9 mm? Well yes except for special teams and oh yeah, the many others who carry a .45 when allowed to in the sand box.

And none of them use anything but FMJ - no HP? Right, sure, OK, whatever you say.

Yata hey
A nod and a wink.