• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry - no permit for either OC or CC

55bowtie

No... that's not what caused you to part company with LOCAL. It was YOUR lack of willingness to learn. We at LOCAL ENCOURAGE anyone to get involved in fighting for our cause. It's important that we fight smart. Getting one's facts straight BEFORE contacting our government servants is essential to gaining respect as a knowledgeable organization.

Now, it would do well for those discussing "Constitutional carry" to discuss it as it pertains to Louisiana law. From what I can tell, this term comes from Arizona... and of course we ALL know that Arizona law is IRRELEVANT in Louisiana.

STILL TALKIN TOUGH hideing on the internet eh georg.So locals deal is if we dont follow your order we must be wrong.I hope i get to meet you at the next meeting.

georg jetson

STILL TALKIN TOUGH hideing on the internet eh georg.So locals deal is if we dont follow your order we must be wrong.I hope i get to meet you at the next meeting.

NO. If you're WRONG then you must be wrong.

I should be at the next meeting. Meeting you would be a pleasure... it's always a pleasure to meet fellow OCers, especially if they have made the sacrifice to drive all the way from Shreveport. Our South La. members are attempting to make a run up to North La. to help encourage a new chapter. I hope to make that trip as well.

NRAMARINE

See what I mean. I just ignore his self righteousness.

Ps. Vt, and Ak, simply have no laws concerning any type of permits for cc, or oc. They follow the 2A. Simple, but some try to make it sound complicated to inflate their egos.

4angrybadgers

See what I mean. I just ignore his self righteousness.

Ps. Vt, and Ak, simply have no laws concerning any type of permits for cc, or oc. They follow the 2A. Simple, but some try to make it sound complicated to inflate their egos.
I think Georg's point is that the term "constitutional carry" makes it sound like the state constitution allows for unrestricted carry, anywhere and any time you want. Unfortunately there are still a set of federal and state laws that govern the "when" and "where" (GFSZs, USPS, federal facilities, etc. etc.), so the 2nd Amendment isn't actually being followed completely even by those states.

Don't get me wrong, permitless carry is a great thing, but even if that happened overnight in every state, there would still be many un-Constitutional restrictions on the books that we have to watch out for. So the term "constitutional carry" is a wee bit misleading given all the other restrictions that still exist at various levels for the states that have removed their permit requirements.

Last edited:

georg jetson

I think Georg's point is that the term "constitutional carry" makes it sound like the state constitution allows for unrestricted carry, anywhere and any time you want. Unfortunately there are still a set of federal and state laws that govern the "when" and "where" (GFSZs, USPS, federal facilities, etc. etc.), so the 2nd Amendment isn't actually being followed completely even by those states.

Don't get me wrong, permitless carry is a great thing, but even if that happened overnight in every state, there would still be many un-Constitutional restrictions on the books that we have to watch out for. So the term "constitutional carry" is a wee bit misleading given all the other restrictions that still exist at various levels for the states that have removed their permit requirements.

Yes that is part of my point... the other part is that if we are going to start asking our servants to change things, we need to be more specific. Asking for "constitutional carry" like other states do it is too ambiguous. We need a well thought out plan applicable to the laws of THIS state as well as a plan of attack against our servants on the fed level. Right now from an OCer's prospective, it's federal law that most restricts us.

Let me explain a possible problem with challenging the fed GFSZ in this state. Right now we have a legal way of possessing in a GFSZ via the fed exemption for our state's concealed carry permit. It can be seen from DC v Heller that the court "does not not address the licensing requirement. Indeed it found that "the Court assumes that a license will satisfy his prayer for relief." It could be that the SCOTUS took this case KNOWING that the licensing requirement would not be brought up. It could be found that a challenge to the fed GFSZ in THIS state may fail because we already HAVE a license which makes firearms possession possible in a fed GFSZ. We would probably need to change our laws / constitution first OR encourage a challenge from a state in the fifth federal district that has no such license.

There is also the issue of "state's rights" that are being addressed in different parts of the country.

The bottom line is that law IS complicated, so we can either discuss things intelligently and specifically such that we come up with a workable plan resulting in our final goal... or we act like children and say "constitutional carry" over and over, stick our heads in the sand and maybe the OC ferry will wave her magic wand and make everything ok.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Kentucky is considering Constitutional carry, and we have a bill introduced called KY firearms freedom act, which will make KY void of federal law. Any gun manufactured in KY can be sold to anyone without going through federal checks. We already have constitutional open carry but if the bill passes CC will be protected as well without a license. We got these bills introduced by people constantly checking with our legislators and giving them our opinion on what we want. Keep at it, and always be aware of what your discussing witht them. Vermont does have const. carry, but alot of cities ban firearms altogether, they have no state preemption laws. Arizona also const. carry state, but have some unfavorable gun laws. KY doesnt have it yet, but gun laws are pretty much non existant. The only law we really have is about possessing a defaced firearm. Keep on the legislators, let them know you want your rights granted to you by the United States Constitution back.!!!

Paul E. Blouin

Yes that is part of my point... the other part is that if we are going to start asking our servants to change things, we need to be more specific. Asking for "constitutional carry" like other states do it is too ambiguous. We need a well thought out plan applicable to the laws of THIS state as well as a plan of attack against our servants on the fed level. Right now from an OCer's prospective, it's federal law that most restricts us.

Let me explain a possible problem with challenging the fed GFSZ in this state. Right now we have a legal way of possessing in a GFSZ via the fed exemption for our state's concealed carry permit. It can be seen from DC v Heller that the court "does not not address the licensing requirement. Indeed it found that "the Court assumes that a license will satisfy his prayer for relief." It could be that the SCOTUS took this case KNOWING that the licensing requirement would not be brought up. It could be found that a challenge to the fed GFSZ in THIS state may fail because we already HAVE a license which makes firearms possession possible in a fed GFSZ. We would probably need to change our laws / constitution first OR encourage a challenge from a state in the fifth federal district that has no such license.

There is also the issue of "state's rights" that are being addressed in different parts of the country.

The bottom line is that law IS complicated, so we can either discuss things intelligently and specifically such that we come up with a workable plan resulting in our final goal... or we act like children and say "constitutional carry" over and over, stick our heads in the sand and maybe the OC ferry will wave her magic wand and make everything ok.

georg, if you are going to lead; because you are more knowledgeable, then lead by example my friend. I'm sure everyone on this board is knowledgeable in something relevant to, open carry, the "LAW" and their experiences with LEO's. You seem to have talent in expressing ideas relevant to law and how our laws relate to the state and federal levels. Remember the greatest leaders, the greatest generals, knew how to lead their countrymen, that's one of the traits of a great leader. Think of the soldiers, most could not all lead, but each could do their part to help win the war. I left this board months ago, because every time I got on and watched, eventually, and almost all time people started hurling insults at each other. I thought about this a good while and came to the conclusion that I didn't have the time between family, job, etc. to argue about things as much as I experienced on this board. I know I was a part of it also. So, I stepped back for a while. I hope you understand what I am saying; and if you don't agree. Let's have a conversation without hurling accusations and insults at one another. It's really easy to do that on the internet, speak somewhat loosely, especially on chat sites. Let's talk to one another as if we were sitting right in front of one another. What do you think?

Keep tempers in check, speak respectfully and also have patience with each other...........we are all on the same side if we wish to be able to open carry in this great republic without hindrance as envisioned and intended by our forefathers in the second amendment.

estcrh

The real problem is the gun free school zones, these zones were a power grab and are a guillotine hanging over the neck of every gun owner. Unlike a federal building or private property etc were you can expect the owner of the property to be able to limit who enters, the gun zones extend beyond the actual property lines. 1000 ft from a school, and extending way beyond the school property lines into private property even, and using these school zones as a precedent what is to stop other gun free zones from being implemented in the future?? Gun free bank zones? Gun free mall zones??

Instead of focusing on other state related gun issues, every gun owners should be trying to persuade the NRA to take on these horrific gun free zones....they make criminals out of law abiding citizens. It would be very easy to change the Federal law so that people legally carrying a gun in a gun free zone would be excluded from the law...so why has that not happened. As long as politicians can on a whim decide to make huge portions of a city off limits to the law abiding gun owners we are not safe from more of these gun free areas being established in the future. Even in states such as AZ were you do not need a permit to open or conceal carry these gun free zones are a danger to any gun owner who wanders into one as Federal law takes precedent over any state law. Eventually some politician will use some gun related incident as an excuse to impose more of these gun free zones. Its only a matter of time.

georg jetson

georg, if you are going to lead; because you are more knowledgeable, then lead by example my friend. I'm sure everyone on this board is knowledgeable in something relevant to, open carry, the "LAW" and their experiences with LEO's. You seem to have talent in expressing ideas relevant to law and how our laws relate to the state and federal levels. Remember the greatest leaders, the greatest generals, knew how to lead their countrymen, that's one of the traits of a great leader. Think of the soldiers, most could not all lead, but each could do their part to help win the war. I left this board months ago, because every time I got on and watched, eventually, and almost all time people started hurling insults at each other. I thought about this a good while and came to the conclusion that I didn't have the time between family, job, etc. to argue about things as much as I experienced on this board. I know I was a part of it also. So, I stepped back for a while. I hope you understand what I am saying; and if you don't agree. Let's have a conversation without hurling accusations and insults at one another. It's really easy to do that on the internet, speak somewhat loosely, especially on chat sites. Let's talk to one another as if we were sitting right in front of one another. What do you think?

Keep tempers in check, speak respectfully and also have patience with each other...........we are all on the same side if we wish to be able to open carry in this great republic without hindrance as envisioned and intended by our forefathers in the second amendment.

A number of us have come together to form an organization called LOCAL. There we have officers, committee chair persons and topic specific forums such that we can get focused and get busy. I cordially invite you to become a member at Laopencarry.org

Funny thing about how we spend our time... It was once thought that the more advanced we became as a society, the more free time we'd all have... we now see that's not the case. We're always gonna be busy with something... If there was anything that I could suggest that would take precedent over it all would be to take the time to learn how our legal system works. It's the only way we can keep the republic. Our recent descendants have made knowledge of the law a low priority and as we can see, much of what the American Revolutionists have fought for has been eroded away. We all need to get into the books so that we can get into the courts and fight.

Hope to see you and others at LOCAL...

4sooth

U.S. v Lopez overturned the original Federal School Zone Act. The law was tied to the possession of the gun offending the commerce clause. The Supreme Court found that this was reaching too far under the commerce clause and so overturned the statute.

Congress passed a new law but this one is also tied to the commerce clause and will probably not pass muster either.